Berlin 45

Very typical for Berlin are also the two tone brick buildings from that time. We still have a few of those around.

13129999_1622985691359105_1944994606_n.j

The primary school I went to had a similar fassade as the one you built and there are quite a few similar ones left.

For instance, this is what the police station looks like in the district I grew up:

10b1a34080ae4399960352d1a8d29ffb_standar

I have only just seen your dio. Very nice composition and balance. If that is your first model in 35 years, I will definitely be keeping an eye your future builds. Nice addition of the boots on the power line, amusing little touch with a story I am sure. Question; what is the OAH over the Cafe Bleu building?

Dunno what OAH is, but guessing you mean the 'ivy'? The leaves are made from bits of Silver Birch tree 'catkins'. By pulling them apart you get seeds and 'seed separators'. It's the latter that look like ivy leaves.

Great work on the walls. I can see the benefits of using plaster... so much easier to carve than plasticard. But I still like the strength of plastic.

Rearguards,

Badder

Can't say I've ever poured a street. I have done something similar with gypsum board however.

(dunno what you lot call it over there)

Soak one side and peel off the cardboard and carve away!

Useful stuff.

Hey Tzulscha

Thanks for that tip - I'm just drywalling my new man caves and hadn't thought about using the left-overs as diorama material, until I read your post, that is.

Crayons - great work. Looking forward to seeing it painted. I may try something similar (but more modern and without battle damage) with the Berlin Camo Chieftain I have part built and painted.

Kev

• Like 1

Very typical for Berlin are also the two tone brick buildings from that time. We still have a few of those around.

The primary school I went to had a similar fassade as the one you built and there are quite a few similar ones left.

For instance, this is what the police station looks like in the district I grew up:

Thanks for those, the lower portion of the police station photo was how I was originally going to do the building, but could not find any decent photos. I will be saving those pictures if you don't mind.

Dunno what OAH is, but guessing you mean the 'ivy'? The leaves are made from bits of Silver Birch tree 'catkins'. By pulling them apart you get seeds and 'seed separators'. It's the latter that look like ivy leaves.

Great work on the walls. I can see the benefits of using plaster... so much easier to carve than plasticard. But I still like the strength of plastic.

Rearguards,

Badder

OverAll Height. Thanks for the run down on the ivy, will keep that info in the toolbox.

Kev, painting is the last thing on my list. I tend to build everything first and then worry about the paint work.

DSC_7710_zpsowbbfn7x.jpg

DSC_7711_zpsok5nftri.jpg

DSC_7712_zps2xdhybye.jpg

Sadly, I have not had much time of late. 99% finished the hole in the wall, just a few bits of external brick need to be damage up some more. Internal roof cavity brickwork done and chipped out. As this will be visible, I decided to replicate the damage to the brickwork caused to years of damp. Started marking the window frames out. My plan is build them in boxes and then slot the entire section into the plaster window opening.

As I am still unhappy with the prospect of one large cement/asphalt coloured block for the road so I am thinking of scribing in two cobble stone crossings 90° to the corner just to add some variation.

• Like 7

Ah, the over all height! Well the Café WAS 280mm, but I'd set it back from the road a bit when compared to the Charcuterie, so I truncated the roof forward of the actual roof ridge. It would have been around 285mm had I extended the roof back (and had it overhanging the base) The Café is now gone, to be replaced by one level with the Charcuterie... in fact only the Charcuterie and road remain. All the rest is going to be replaced.

Rearguards

Badder

Edited by Mike
Removing large photo quote

• 2 weeks later...

Back home again.

Haven't had anytime to work on this thanks to work sending me interstate last week to finish off a project they screwed up.

Window and a section of decorative wall trim finished off.

DSC_7716_zpssvrfxfnx.jpg

In situ temporarily.

DSC_7714_zpswl004zph.jpg

DSC_7715_zpsvjayzooj.jpg

The glazing for the windows will be made from a sheet of plastic that I found in a box of chocolates. Once it is glued into place I will then set about breaking the panes as required. The decorative trim will be on both floors and run the length of the wall sections. The hardest part is going to be destroying/splintering the section the runs along the section of wall that has the hole blown in it. I am sure I will figure something out.

• Like 5

More of a random musing than an update.This is how I am thinking of doing the road section:

DSC_7721_zpsublcjmja.jpg

The layout pattern is based on some war time photos I was looking at. All cobbles, but based on the photos, they are larger, more like heavy driveway paving slabs.

Thoughts and/or suggestions?

Edited by Crayons
  • Like 2

I know the stuff you are referring to. Fibre reinforced plasterboard commonly used for ceilings and interior walls in single leaf housing.. I have been contemplating using it instead of casting slabs of plaster. Would scale out producing a wall with a thickness of 350mm.

Cut the slot for the drainage, ended up looking like father christmas (minus the belly) from the clouds of fine plaster dust. Photos to follow.

Ha ha - I have an advantage over you when cutting plasterboard, cos I already GOT the belly! LOL!

Seriously though, that stuff sure does produce a plethora of fine white dust when you're smoothing the cut edges. Gonna have to scrub the garden paving once I've finished, it looks like someone's smeared white paint all over it at the moment.

Kev

Very tasty! I am left wondering when was the last time I saw any gutters that looked anything other than bland, though? Can't see the need for much more work on that, looks great to me.

Kev

Drain cover painted in place. I decided to run a green wash over the gutter to replicate the appearance of algae. Foot path up next just waiting on paint to arrive.

DSC_7727_zpskcwxofvk.jpg

• Like 12

Just fell on to this, what super detail however what is the surface made of ..plaster? really stunning work.

The road and pavement section I made from plaster and scribed to suit. The building, I cast slabs of plaster then scribed/cut to suit. Window fascia and wall trim I made from styrene then texted it.

• 2 weeks later...

I was initially going to have mostly intact panes of glass in the windows, but I have decided against that option and instead will use just small fragments along the sides and edges. Still a lot to do on the walls with only the basic brick paint work finished.

DSC_7732_zps6fejst79.jpg

DSC_7734_zpsj5dbjgmk.jpg

DSC_7733_zpsro6mycai.jpg

• Like 5

• 3 weeks later...

Home again.

Started work on two of the figures while I was away. Volkssturm (set number 3621) from Zvezda. The figures in the set are quite good overall with the exception of the heads, they are rubbish. Using replacements from the Hornet range. There is one more Volkssturm figure to go, but I am awaiting additional parts to arrive.

DSC_7738_zpsfpmzwmqc.jpg

DSC_7739_zpsrgmmsbuq.jpg

DSC_7740_zpsqptxidpt.jpg

Bit of tweaking to get them to hold the weapons properly, but got there in the end.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Finally got some time to work on this. A few modifications to the building, namely the upper section of brickwork was cut off after I realised that I had attached the building pieces in the wrong order thus making the roof near impossible to build. Started work on the inside of the building. I had originally intended to use the decorative styrene wall trim I had made, but after several unsuccessful attempts to paint a half way decent wood finish/pattern, I gave up on the idea and binned them. Roof framing started and currently deciding whether to use pantiles or something like slate tiles.

DSC_7752_zpsggnqkegt.jpg

DSC_7751_zpsjhnfqhsz.jpg

DSC_7750_zpsefnnl7pi.jpg

• Like 4

Its been an eye-opener into working with plaster, absolutely loving the roadway and particular liking the gutter shallow in the road edge.

All power to you and the building look s good too but not quite sure about the exposed brick and the plaster ?

Is the plaster where temp repairs have been made as I would have thought it would be brick-work all over the building ?/

I shall be watching with interest . . .

Ian

• 10 months later...