Heinkel He115 Seaplane (Revell - 1/72)

Hello folks,

This is my very first post to Britmodeller. I've been a member for a while now and look at everyone's contributions everyday but have never posted anything myself. This is a trial run to make sure I get it right so bear with me please :thumbsup:

So here goes!!

I've chosen the kit that I've just finished - the Revell He115 Seaplane - see below:

20160614_065336_zps0lruxbhj.jpg

I seem to have been drawn to seaplanes over recent months and have also completed an Arado 196 (maybe posts for another day).

Back to the He115. The kit shows its age and I believe it's the matchbox kit that Revell re-boxed. The kit fought me in so many ways and tested both my modeling skills and my patience - particularly sorting out the huge expanse of less than perfect cockpit glazing!! :banghead:

However, I really enjoyed building this kit and I think there's something quite therapeutic about wrestling pieces into place every now and then to keep our modelling minds fresh.

I'll apologise for the photos as they were taken on my phone in fairly poor light - I'm no professional photographer - something I'm going to need to work on.

Hope you enjoy and any feedback and comments will be greatly received.

20160614_234325_LLS_zpszkg4fvfe.jpg

20160614_234245_LLS_zpsa4dupcu6.jpg

20160614_234525_LLS_zps0w8nr9oh.jpg

20160614_234001_LLS_zpssxcfvwhk.jpg

20160614_234103_LLS_zps3dkzvgkl.jpg

Edited by planecrazee
  • Like 13

Back to the He115. The kit shows its age and I believe it's the matchbox kit that Revell re-boxed.

Actually Revell marketed in various periods both FROG and MATCHBOX-moulded He115s. You're the lucky one - Revell 04276 (and 04123) is the much better Matchbox tool. Beware of Revell H-241 and 04342 which are old FROG tool not worth bothering with.

Cheers

Michael

Thanks for your reply Martin :thumbsup:

The paints I tend to use for all my Luftwaffe builds are Vallejo Model Air's RLM 70 & 71. I personally find the tones to be the most realistic as a lot of paints I've looked at have green shades that are just too green - but that's just a personal preference.

Kris

• Like 1

Thanks for all you comments folks - very much appreciated and I hope to be posting much more regularly in future. Although I think I need to get to grips with the photography side of things as I want to be able to show my work off in the best possible light - does anyone have any advice on cost effective ways of taking a decent photo when dealing in smaller scales such as models.

Thanks once again for all you kind feedback

Kris

Actually Revell marketed in various periods both FROG and MATCHBOX-moulded He115s. You're the lucky one - Revell 04276 (and 04123) is the much better Matchbox tool. Beware of Revell H-241 and 04342 which are old FROG tool not worth bothering with.

Cheers

Michael

I'd disagree with that actually - the Frog kit builds up very nicely indeed, and - being one of Frog's last products - is more detailed then some of its earlier offerings. Given the choice I'd go Frog anytime, although I do think the Matchbox one is equally worth the effort - great job here by the way!

I do like the '115, like the bulk of German seaplanes, it's a very graceful looking machine.

Chris

Although I think I need to get to grips with the photography side of things as I want to be able to show my work off in the best possible light - does anyone have any advice on cost effective ways of taking a decent photo when dealing in smaller scales such as models.

Kris

Kris,

The photography part of the forum has a lot of invaluable advice from various members - even if you can't find an answer to your specific questions, you'll find people quick to help out:

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/forum/158-photography/

HTH,

Tony

Welcome to Britmodeller and a great first post love your HE-115 you have done a great job.

Guy

Very nice. :goodjob:

The Revell He115 is one of the very few kits I've binned. Poor detail and fit plus the diagonal struts for the floats that are supposed to be glued to the torpedo bay door... Of course it's not impossible to fix those things but I just lost interest.

Thanks ijones - appreciate your comments. I have to agree - she was a hell of a kit and fought me all the way and I had a couple of why bother moments!!! However,even with a lack of detail - the overall effect once fully completed was worth the effort - I think!!

Kris

The overall effect really was worth the effort. I've never built this kit but it's been on my radar as I am also a Luftwaffe fan and have a growing collection of seaplanes in the stash, this one might actually be in the stash somewhere.

Nice work but next time you should post your completed models in the Ready For Inspection section and that way you will probably get more people looking and commenting.

Duncan B