Italeri Skyraider 1/48

Hi. This was the second model i built, and even though it was only my second model, i could tell what an awful kit it was. For a newbie anyway. Nothing really fitted at all. Part of the canopy snapped off within 5 minutes of opening, and the raised panel lines? Another steep learning curve but i’m glad i persevered with it. Learn’t loads! Like not to buy another Italeri kit. Its put me off ever buying another Italeri kit. I think i may have touched this model with a bit of filler, but for the most parts, i couldn’t muster the enthusiasm to do much with it. Airbrushing and weathering where new skills for me also to get to grips with. And it kinda shows. I really do like the Skyraider, and really enjoyed researching it but this kit stunk. Apologies for the bad vibes and the cardboard ! Anyway, all comments & remarks welcome. Cheers

2016-04-20%2020.10.17.jpg

2016-04-20%2020.10.32.jpg

2016-04-20%2020.11.05.jpg

2016-04-20%2020.09.26.jpg

2016-04-20%2020.09.51.jpg

2016-04-20%2020.09.08.jpg

Edited by Orangesherbert
  • Like 25

Don't be put off by Italeri kits. They have some lovely ones. They do re-boxing of older ones as well as do other manufacturers. If you think about, building this kit has provide you with a learning 'template' so to speak and believe me you're never too old to learn.

As for a second kit I think you've done a fine job on an old kit. What about a Tamiya Skyraider next? That'll put you in a better mood.

• Like 1

Very nice, even more so with it only being your second one.

I've been caught out a few times in the past with shiny re-boxings of horrible old kits that were beyond my limited ability to turn into anything decent looking. Then I came across Scalemates, which has a huge database of model kits that I use frequently in helping me choose what kits to buy. Two of its functions are really useful:

1) Kit timelines - these show when kits were originally released, and re-boxed (by the same or different manufacturers), which gives you some idea of the age of the moulds, and whether it might be likely to have raised panel lines etc

2) kit reviews - scalemates provides links to online reviews of kits, which will often highlight any apparent issues of the sort that you mentioned with this Skyraider.

Worth a look if you haven't seen it before...

Cheers

Adam

• Like 2

Nice Skyraider and considering it is your second build you have done a grand job, love a Skyraider one of my favourites.

Try a Tamiya one as has been said above I think you will enjoy the build.

Guy

• Like 1

Hi. This was the second model i built, and even though it was only my second model, i could tell what an awful kit it was. For a newbie anyway. Nothing really fitted at all. Part of the canopy snapped off within 5 minutes of opening, and the raised panel lines? Another steep learning curve but i’m glad i persevered with it. Learn’t loads! Like not to buy another Italeri kit. Its put me off ever buying another Italeri kit. I think i may have touched this model with a bit of filler, but for the most parts, i couldn’t muster the enthusiasm to do much with it. Airbrushing and weathering where new skills for me also to get to grips with. And it kinda shows. I really do like the Skyraider, and really enjoyed researching it but this kit stunk. Apologies for the bad vibes and the cardboard ! Anyway, all comments & remarks welcome. Cheers

Neat Skyraider!

plus one on Adam's Scalemates recommendation

https://www.scalemates.com/search-solr.php?fkSECTION%5B%5D=All&q=1%3A48+skyraider*

note that on the specific kit pages there are often reviews.

Modeling Madness is another site with lots of reviews. Hyperscale Plane Talking is also has a lot of information, you just need to search.

It's rare that a few minutes googling won't turn up a information on a kit.

Regarding fit, I have memories (and remains) of youthful builds where I stuck them together and then sorted out problems later, these days it's 'test fit - trim and shim' as this can really make a build much better fitting, it worth checking the fit of canopies early on.

Reading actual builds can also help, sometimes a different approach or construction system can help,for example, adding the upper wing halves to a fuselage can make a much easier job of that joint in some kits.

And then there are kits that just suck :(

regarding the Skyraider, neat job,though if you wanted a weathered up Korean bird, you want the Marines ;)

VMA121-Leatherneck-12_opt_0.jpg

more here

https://www.mca-marines.org/leatherneck/2015/11/wolf-raiders-vma-121-korean-war

HTH

Cheers

T

• Like 1

Neat Skyraider!

plus one on Adam's Scalemates recommendation

=All&q=1%3A48+skyraider*]https://www.scalemates.com/search-solr.php?fkSECTION[]=All&q=1%3A48+skyraider*

note that on the specific kit pages there are often reviews.

Modeling Madness is another site with lots of reviews. Hyperscale Plane Talking is also has a lot of information, you just need to search.

It's rare that a few minutes googling won't turn up a information on a kit.

Regarding fit, I have memories (and remains) of youthful builds where I stuck them together and then sorted out problems later, these days it's 'test fit - trim and shim' as this can really make a build much better fitting, it worth checking the fit of canopies early on.

Reading actual builds can also help, sometimes a different approach or construction system can help,for example, adding the upper wing halves to a fuselage can make a much easier job of that joint in some kits.

And then there are kits that just suck :(

regarding the Skyraider, neat job,though if you wanted a weathered up Korean bird, you want the Marines ;)

VMA121-Leatherneck-12_opt_0.jpg

more here

https://www.mca-marines.org/leatherneck/2015/11/wolf-raiders-vma-121-korean-war

HTH

Cheers

T

Thanks for the info T !

Smart that, I'd be happy with it. YMMV with Italeri kits, like most manufacturers their molds can vary in age and come from a variety of places. If you like carrier aircraft try their Avenger kit which is ex Accurate Minatures and one of the best around for the money.

• Like 1

As others have said, don't be put off Italeri kits with this particular model. In spite of its age, you have done a great job with this kit and it will serve you well as an experience builder. Many of Italeri's more modern kits are vastly superior to this old Esci kit that has been reboxed but your buying experience does beg a question that I have been longing to pose for some time. Should kit manufacturers be obliged to state clearly on the box the origins of the kit inside (if it is not one of their originals) together with the original date of manufacture ?. For someone like me, who has more or less kept up with the hobby for over 40 years, it is relatively easy to keep track of re-issues or re-boxings of old kits but for someone recently returned or new to the hobby, it can be mind boggling and it ultimately harms the manufacturer if a modeller buys one really good kit and then seeks to buy another from the same manufacturer only to discover that it is an ancient re-pop of someone else's vastly inferior product. It helps no-one in the long run.

Anyway, I concur with others that suggest you have done extremely well with this challenging old kit and that you should try your hand with the Tamiya A-1H/J Skyraider….You would be able to tell the difference immediately !.

• Like 1

Wow, second build. You can feel extra proud of this one, especially as it sounds like it kicked and fought all the way. Always learn more with those though.

• Like 1