Once WNW sells out of a kit is that it?

Skids

Hi All

Just wondered if Wingnut Wings ever reissue kits or is it a case of once sold out then thats it!!

I have a Pfalz but wanted to get the DH.2 but seems its now sold out. Have I missed my chance?

Thanks

Simon

WNW are not a limited run manufacturer using tools that eventually wear out making a production restart very expensive. It's kind of hard to believe that WNW would simply "dump" the tooling for their kits - tooling that given the quality of the kits miust be worth a mint! I suspect that factory capacity & other factors dictate that there are only so many products that they can produce along side one another at any time so as new products come along, old ones have to "fall off the end". Look at other volume manufacturers such as Revell, Hasegawa & Airfix who regularly delete products (for instance the latters 1/48 Lightning) only to resurrect them perhaps years later. In the meantime, those products command increasingly high prices on the second habd market. I guess what I'm saying is don't hold your breath but neither should you give up hope!

What Graham says above is a solid common sense summary however one thing to bear in mind, is that unlike most other premium model companies - well all of them actually - they are not as driven to satisfy shareholders or turn a big profit given they are owned by a billionaire who is also a hobbyist and a godsend to the genre of WW1 modelling. Being a small operation as well, I would imagine that virtually all their capacity is directed at R&D and getting the next project into production. Assuming a production run pays for the tooling costs, there may not be quite the incentive or financial necessity to re-pop that many people may imagine.

I hope I am wrong but WNW is in a pretty unique and never seen before position in the hobby world; i.e. it is a fantastic and fantasy indulgence for Sir Peter and something just about all of us, were any of us to be wealthy enough to own our own model company, would love to direct / 'suggest' what gets produced next.

These are tremendous products so get em' whilst you can and don't rely upon chance or future availability of these superb kits always being available at some stage; certainly not as a WNW boxing with premium quality packaging, instructions and decals etc. anyway.

Gary

Edited by redcap

I always assumed that when they said they would never reissue a kit after it sold out, they just meant that boxing. The Hansa cropped in a duellist boxing, they also say they will release a premium boxing with extra parts in the future of sold out kits.

If they were to release the Hansa plastic on its own with different decals it would most likely have a different product code and different box art. Therefore it would technically be a different kit. So I think there is still a chance we may see the sold out kits in the future.

I always assumed that when they said they would never reissue a kit after it sold out, they just meant that boxing. The Hansa cropped in a duellist boxing, they also say they will release a premium boxing with extra parts in the future of sold out kits.

The 'Premium' boxings with all the whistles and bells were mentioned when they started, what, 7 years ago now and likewise all the figure sets.....and where are they to date (any) of them? Since then and with the plethora of etch sets and high quality resin figures etc. readilly available in the interim, maybe they have missed that marketing opportunity before everyone geared up for the WNW aftermarket industry as not everyone wants an uber complex kit with sheets of etched parts AND resin figures in a box; all attracting a significant price hike as well of course.

The choice is to buy whilst they physically exist and are available, or hope they repop or appear in some guise or other. Me, I won't rely on chance if faced with the choice of buying a WNW kit now or buying instead something like a Tamiya kit which I also "need" or "want" - but - will most likely still be readilly available 10 years hence.

Gary

• Like 2

Thanks chaps, I don't always have a large wallet and usually buy stuff for the kit I am building. I will make sure from now on that if I really want a kit I get it straight away rather than leaving it.

Certainly looks like I will be paying over the odds then if I want a DH.2.

Skids, there will be a small amount of WNW DH2 available from the Dutch warehouse when it opens in early July.

Cheers, Peter

Interesting!

Just looked at the WNW site and and to seemingly confirm what Peter says, the DH2 has now been moved out of the "SOLD OUT" listings and replaced by "COMING SOON" status. Perhaps they have found a stash whilst doing the reorganisation?

None of the other 'Sold Out' ones appear to be available again though.

Gary

Thanks Peter, I will make sure I am keeping a close eye on it in July to make sure I get one, if I haven't got one by then.

Skids there is currently a Wingnut DH2 on ebay that you might get for a good price. I think this is at least it's second go-around.

I wonder if the move to selling through Wetaworkshop is a sign that Wingnut will be gearing up. I certainly hope so and I do see that quite a few of the OOP kits on their website have a status of 'coming soon'.

Does anyone know just how many kits are in their normal production run as I am trying to get a handle on just what the chances are of snagging OOP kits on the second hand market as they come up and when I have the neccessary folding.

Thanks Beardie

I spotted that today and have secured one. Luckily for my pocket there are only a few kits I would build. Out of the 4 I now have 2.

Skids there is currently a Wingnut DH2 on ebay that you might get for a good price. I think this is at least it's second go-around.

I wonder if the move to selling through Wetaworkshop is a sign that Wingnut will be gearing up. I certainly hope so and I do see that quite a few of the OOP kits on their website have a status of 'coming soon'.

Does anyone know just how many kits are in their normal production run as I am trying to get a handle on just what the chances are of snagging OOP kits on the second hand market as they come up and when I have the neccessary folding.

Beardie,

Other than the DH2 that was showing 'Sold Out' for a while and has now been ammended to 'Coming Soon' status, which of the other OOP kits have you seen that will become available? Just looked on the WNW site and the other 13 kits are (still) showing as SOLD OUT....?

Gary

The answer is not obvious. Sometimes companies don't reissue their very good and needed kits for a very long time. For example Hasegawa Beaufighter or Dragon Sherman Vc Firefly (both 1/72).

Hi Gary,

I am not sure what was previously shown as 'Sold out' as I have only recently decided to move from Eduard etc. 1/48 to Wingnuts and so I don't know what their system is.

I was given to believe that, once a kit was 'sold out' it would never be re-released but I see that the Se5a Hisso, Pfalz D.XII, Roland D.VIb etc. are listed as 'coming soon'. Were these kits not 'sold out' previously? If so this is good news for me as, to date I have acquired the Se5a Hisso from Hannants and I will be getting the Fokker D.VII(OAW) and Albatros D.V from Ali on BM and after that I will be trying to hunt down copies of every single other release as money becomes available. I am very much hoping that all those that are currently OOP will become available either new or second hand at some point.

Hi Beardie,

Thanks for that mate. 14 went "SOLD OUT" inc. the DH2 however that has now shown as (seemingly) about to be released again? I can only assume given it's the most recent one to be 'sold out' that they possibly found a stash somewhere in the warehouse which they had previously missed when they had a clear out pending their new supply model?

The Se5a, Roland and Pfalz DXII have never sold out but have been available for some time; but what current stock levels are like is anyone's guess.

Some of them like the W29 and the LVG C.VI have been 'Sold Out' for about 3 years now with no sign of being released (unless you want a W29 as part of the "Duellist" set with the Felixstowe which will knock you back about £300.00 with taxes). I don't think these kits can be cheap to do a second production run given the premium packaging, instruction booklets and decals etc. and my own guess is as long as the tooling paid for itself and possibly to fund the next project, then that was it. I am just guessing that but its owner Sir Peter Jackson isn't in need of turning a profit or maximising his investment as most companies would be is he. After all, I know WNW paid for a significant number of 1/32 figs to be sculpted, the masters were delivered and they still haven't been released, what, 7 years later despite being on the site for all that time?

My own advice would be to get them whilst you can and wherever they pop up at a reasonable price at shows and on BM etc. This company is not like any other where if you missed it first time around, you can be 99% certain that it will get re-popped at some stage in the future.

Cheers.

Gary

Edited by redcap

IIRC Wingnut Wings have stated that their models will be re-released in a 'deluxe' format, containing etch, resin, different markings, possibly figures, etc., (in a similar vein to Eduard's profipacks). Of course these will have a commensurate increase in price when they are eventually produced.

I would be surprised if they do not re-release at some stage, be it in the deluxe format, or in the original. But they are part of Sir Peter Jackson's empire and for the foreseeable future he is one of those rare people who can pretty much do as he likes. So who knows?

As mentioned above, Alan and Michael Perry have produced a large range of miniatures for WW, which have only been seen in images, apart from two small dioramas which are available. When will this large and rather attractive range become available? :shrug: I would surmise that when the time is right, (for WW), they will be released. We just have to wait (im)patiently.

Bottom line; if you fancy one get it when you can.

Christian, exiled to africa

Edited by wyverns4

It is a very unusual situation, even possibly unique.

I understand that Sir Peter Jackson is not needing to make money out of the company and it is very much his passion which drives it. I would hope though that, if the molds have already paid for themselves by the time a kit sells out, he would then be interested in keeping a supply available simply to keep the subjects available to fellow enthusiasts/future enthusiasts and maybe put a little extra money into the pot to fund further projects. It would be a great shame for such exceptional kits as these seem to be to only ever see the light of day in finite, never to be repeated quantities.

has anyone ever wrote and asked them?

WNW keep their cards very close to their chest and any enquiries about future releases, re-releases, stock levels on a specific kit(s) etc. get met with very vague and effectively 'no comment' responses.

Try writing and asking...you never know!

Gary

Wouldn't make sense as making the moulds is a huge expense and the amount of kits produced wouldn't even pay the costs. Then again who knows what the thinking is

Regarding the DH2, WNW sent some of their stock to the new distribution centers in Europe and the US of A, leaving some stock behind for distribution in Asia / Oceania.

The DH2 sold out during this period, but only the New Zealand stock of the DH2 actually sold out (as the other stock was still in transit). Therefore it will be available again when the new distribution centers come online, but most likely in small quantities as the stock was already low when they split up the New Zealand stock.

So people in Asia / Oceania are out of luck as it is sold out there.

Cheers, Peter