1/72 Avro York conversions?

rholland

There is nothing currently in production. On the second-hand market the Czech Master Resin conversion is altogether a better way to go than the Contrail vacform.

Contrail did two - a really rough fuselage with fin as a conversion and then later a full kit, which was actually rather nice as it came with decals and injection parts. I've got one somewhere I got at Telford for a fiver. Some numpties are selling examples of said kit for a hundred notes on ebay. Best of luck with that.

Other than CMR, Final Touch did a conversion fuselage which was a solid resin shape, utterly devoid of any detail other than a few indentations meant to be portholes and solid enough to be classed as an offensive weapon.

Other than CMR, Final Touch did a conversion fuselage which was a solid resin shape, utterly devoid of any detail other than a few indentations meant to be portholes and solid enough to be classed as an offensive weapon.

Yep, I've built two of the Final Touch version in the distant past. The resin fuselage makes an interesting test of the Airfix u/c legs; it must weigh at least a kilo! I didn't mention it above because it takes an awful lot of work to make anything of it.

I agree with your comments on the later Contrail version but in my opinion CMR is a much nicer way of doing things. They turn up fairly regularly on ebay for little more than their original price.

Airfix would need to mould new wings as well as a 'conversion' fuselage to make an Avro York

You can't just stick Lancaster wings onto a York fuselage - because the overall span of the Lancaster and York are exactly the same - despite the much wider York fuselage.

You would need to measure the difference between the width of a Lanc fuselage and ther width of a York fuselage, then divide by two - and remove that amount from each Lancaster wing root.

Ken

This must be the one I bought from a fellow Britmodeller a few years ago, my resin part fits this description. Mine is also slightly warped and I have no idea if I'll ever be able to straighten such a big chunk of resin. Using this as a pattern to cut some plasticard and scratchbuild the fuselage is probably a better way of building a York

P.S. this conversion is also a good example of the kind of weird mental processes that lead to my purchases of modelling goods: I never had any particular interest in the York, then found this for sale with another kit I was interested in and said to myself why not buy that conversion too...

Airfix would need to mould new wings as well as a 'conversion' fuselage to make an Avro York

You can't just stick Lancaster wings onto a York fuselage - because the overall span of the Lancaster and York are exactly the same - despite the much wider York fuselage.

You would need to measure the difference between the width of a Lanc fuselage and ther width of a York fuselage, then divide by two - and remove that amount from each Lancaster wing root.

Ken

Why Ken? just mould the fuselage with recesses for the required amount, et voila, a York with the correct wingspan.

• Like 2

A Contrail kit has just sold on ebay for £107. Unbelievable!

I bought one a couple of years ago at a model show for £5 but did not have any transparencies, I have the old Airfix Lancaster with the raised panel lines which I shall use as the wings, and that was only a tenner

The CMK conversion requires you to remove some of the wing root before attaching to the fuselage. Certainly, it does in mine!

I was lucky and managed to buy one at just under thirty quid. It was somewhat pockmarked though. Plenty of air bubbles and some of the internal detail was pretty rough. I'm sure it's way ahead of the alternatives though!