Where are you going with that pig.

Hi ,this is as far as i have got ,the base is a 2 ft x2ft square of MDF ,i covered it with a thin layer of 151 ready mixed filler .

These are the main models used the commander in the truck is asking the motorbike rider where he is going with the pig in the side car .

The river is not going to be as wide as the bridge,there is going to be a pebble beach on each side ,i think the banks are a bit steep ,there are going to be some other models and figures .the truck is the Tamiya and the bike and sidecar is the Zvezda ,the bridge is from Fields of glory .

Any advice and comments would be welcome.

Edited by cocky05d
  • Like 2

Wow that's a BIG dio. It's going to weigh a tonne! (Even with the florist's foam)

Watching with interest.

Badder

Edited by Badder

Bugger didn't consider the weight ,planning to cover the whole thing with pop roc plaster of paris ,do you think the banks are a bit steep ?.

Not sure how the engineers would have placed the real thing ,would the supports be in the river it's self or on dry land ,been looking on the interweb for some photos.

Whilst you could make the bridge longer, so that more of it extends across the ground and is more supported, you could just build stonework supports under the ends of the bridge, making the bank there vertical. The rest of the banks are perhaps a little too steep, but nothing to worry about.

Rearguards,

Badder

I built somthing like this years ago it was 1 meter by 1/2 a meter, used about 25 blocks once dryed it cut the required shape. Then put a layer of paper Masha once dryed I covered with a layer of poly filler, it wasn't that heavy the board made it more weightey.

Hi Badder and Ozzy thanks for the advice ,that is the problem with 1/35 dioramas ,the weight and where you are going to store them ,i have got the use of an empty 10x8 shed ,which i am going to put my finished dioramas .

My five cents worth:

I wouldn't be driving that Protze across that bridge. Looks like it was built by Russian peasants to take cart loads of hay (models fault). Without any central supports, I am putting my money on the Protze going for a swim once it got into the centre of the bridge. The Protze in that configuration fully loaded would weigh in at about 4.2t and at 5m in length with whats on the bridge already, you could estimate that the bridge length is approximately 7 to 8m (which is to great a span for unsupported loads). You could run beams from the base of the pylons to the centre of the span angling upwards at 45°, that would increase the plausible load capacity of the bridge.

If the river is fast moving, then the banks would be quite steep, especially if it is one of those rivers that dries up in summer and then flash floods in winter. Only problem that that would cause is the bridge's supports would just wash away.

Some suggestions for the bridge: You could extend the bridge further onto the land, hollow out underneath the land section of the bridge and put additional pylons in to make it look like the bridge has supports from the beginning of the bridge as well as adding the angled span supports. Additionally, you could place the Protze off to the side of the bridge (not on it) with figures on the bridge stopping the motorcycle. One sign at each end indicating a max load limit for the bridge.

Nice idea for a dio.

My five cents is used up.

Edited by Crayons

Hi ,thanks for your 5 cents worth whats that in proper money :winkgrin: ,just kidding ,the bridge is one of Fields of glory kits ,on the photo that comes with it there is a PZ 3 or 4 crossing it ,

I think i will try and add some supports to the bridge

Edited by cocky05d
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Nice comic concept.

Wrap the pig in one of those rubber coats the bikers got and give him a helmet.

"Pig? What pig? This is Gefrieter Schmidt. Umm, he's not feeling well...."

:coolio:

:winkgrin: ,I made a support section to go in the middle of the bridge ,haven't done any more to the diorama ,having trouble getting the blocks to stick together ,they are so absorbent whatever i use just sinks in.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi ,been looking on the interweb and i have seen built dioramas very like the one i am building ,don't want people to think i am copying them ,thinking of canceling the whole idea .

YOU ARE ONLY LOOKING FOR AN EXCUSE TO GIVE IN .

Who said that ?.,it's not true anyway .

Tried using contact adhesive to glue the blocks together ,it seems to hold .

Hi did a bit more work ,made a center section for the bridge and gluded the foam blocks down ,one good thing about them they are easy to cut ,i used a steel ruler it looks a bit rough at the moment.

Edited by cocky05d
  • Like 1

To give a solid base level on top of the oasis I cover it all in paper Masha, once it drys its solid and then you've got somthing for the ground work to stick to.

• 7 months later...

Hi ,haven.t done anything to the diorama ,but i did prime the models yesterday .Going to start on the diorama now the warm weather is on it's way .

Bit worried about the dust involved shaping the foam so i will do that outside .

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Started with the river bank supports using doweling and balsa strips ,using PVA white glue to stick them together ,used Gorilla glue for the bridge .

I have some ready mixed plaster from the pound shop plus some boxes of dry ,will it will ok just to slap it on the foam blocks ?.

Noticed the photos have vanished .

Good to see this up and running again.

I guess you were using Photobucket? I hope you can get a hold of the old photos. I can't get mine. Well, I managed to get some, but the rest are blocked. Grrrrrr.

Rearguards,

Badder

Hi  , i have got copies of all my photos i didn't put all of them on photobucket .

Started to cover the foam block in the ready mixed plaster and did a test of the dowling and the wood strips (stirrers i found in macdonalds ),the PVA glue seems to hold ok .

Quite enjoying scratch building stuff ,wish i hadn't bought so many Miniart Buildings .

Got a lot of old grapes vines that have dried out to use as bushes and small trees and a few jars of dried herbs to use as leaves .

• Like 1

3 hours ago, cocky05d said:

Quite enjoying scratch building stuff ,wish i hadn't bought so many Miniart Buildings .

Got a lot of old grapes vines that have dried out to use as bushes and small trees and a few jars of dried herbs to use as leaves .

I think making dioramas is the best bit of our hobby. I obviously do enjoy making a good AFV, but dioramas are from the imagination and we have total freedom. There's some spectacular dioramas in here which I may one day be able to equal, but until then all I can ever do is to do my best.

And do not regret buying those MiniArt Buildings! Get some latex and make moulds of the walls etc. You can then make casts, cut them up and build completely different structures with them if you wish. I mean, I've built one complete ruin and the entire rear half of a farm building using plaster casts of MiniArt buildings. They've cost me nothing except for the plaster and CA. And then you have all the spare parts too... doors, window frames, lanterns lampposts, etc, and they all come in handy.

I look forwards to seeing your bush.... er... bushes and trees.:D

Rearguards,

Badder

• Like 1

Hi ,thanks for the advice ,yes there are some great dioramas on here ,and elsewhere .

There is one of a sunken Sherman tank complete with tourists swimming round it ,have you come across that one?.

I did read you post about using Miniart buildings as templates .One problem i have with building dioramas is i always wonder what is going on where the dio ends ,if that makes any sense .

• 1 month later...

Hi ,nearly finished covering it with plaster ,and finished the bank supports ,not fixed at the moment going to paint them .

EXII8w1.jpg

Putting the plaster direct on to the foam ,sometimes it sort of reacts to it and melts ,ok when the plaster is dry .

Going to sand it down when i have finished .

Edited by cocky05d