Airacobra and Kingcobra, same canopy?

Bonehammer

Hi all,

I took my halfway built P-63 out of its cocoon and the vacform canopy has yellowed badly.

There are no replacement canopies for the P-63, however, Squadron makes one for the P-39.

Can I try adapting the Squadron canopy? Did these aircrafts differ significatively in this area?

Thanks in advance,

Bone

I think (from memory) that the P-63 had a flat-front windscreen (armour glass comprising the center panel, as many other types did) while the P-39 had a curved or at least internal armour glass windscreen. My initial investigation, since I had the same problem, was that I could probably adapt, but that's as far as I've taken it so far.

bob

p.s. Maybe we should lobby Falcon to make one!

Bone,

Checked my photo files and references to confirm, but pretty sure the canopies on Airacobras and Kingcobras were identical, but as mentioned above, the P-63did have a flat center panel on the windscreen and the P-39 had a curved windscreen, with a flat armored glass panel behind the center panel. You might check photos to see if the P-63's center windscreen panel was made of armored glass, or if it also had an armored glass plate behind the windscreen, like the P-39.

I guess you could use your original canopy to make a master for vacforming or plunge molding a replacement...if so, try to find some clear polycarbonate plastic- you can get odd-sized samples free at plastic supply firms and it is crystal clear and is thicker than vacform plastic- so has more surface area for gluing and fairing in, but is still thinner than injection molded canopies. It's my clear plastic of choice, but it does have a higher melting point than regular vacform plastic. Good luck!

You didn't mention scale, but we are long overdue for a state of the art Kingcobra in both 1/72 and 1/48! (Are you out there, RS Models?)

Mike

Edited by 72modeler
  • Like 1

Hi Bone - I had the same problem with my MPM P-63. I used a cheap week-end edition of Eduard's P-39 as a donor for quite a few parts including the canopy. From memory the rear canopy is virtually a drop fit. The windscreen needs to be ground out and a flat armor-glass pane put in. The front part in general needs a little fettling but fits well when done. The doors....well forget about having the port door closed as usually seen in period photos. Note the rear edge of the door forming part of the roll-over structure needs to be canted backwards a bit...it's not vertical. And I believe there should be an armour glass panel built into the roll-over structure.

I posted mine on HyperScale....not sure if it's still there.

Cheers

Doug

Just checked - it's still there with comments on a lot of other bits I took from the Eduard P-39 - including the front end of the fuselage and spinner. Look here: http://www.network54.com/Forum/47751/thread/1372595581/1-48+MPM+P-63C

Edited by Doug A Jones
  • Like 2

Thanks to all for the informative replies and kudos to Doug whio also happened to have built the exact P-63C I'm after. I'd be happy if mine ends up half as good!