1/72 - Zveno-1A (TB-1 & I-5) by Amodel - released

Homebee

Amodel is to release in September 2016 a 1/72nd Zveno-1A (Tupolev TB-1 & Polikarpov I-5) kit - ref. 72290

Sources:

http://www.aviationmegastore.com/zveno-1a-tb-1--i-5-expected-september-2016-72290-a-model-amdl72290-aircraft-scale-modelling/product/?action=prodinfo&art=139619

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/1000291-amodel-72290-zveno-1a

Box art

1000291-20195-70-pristine.jpg

V.P.

MattMemory2.jpg

Edited by Homebee
  • Like 4

Interesting..........

I know the TB-1 is from Mikro-Mir - but the only I-5 I know of is the ICM kit.

I wonder if its a co-production between all 3 ??

Ken

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235003900-tupolev-tb-1-i-5-zveno-1-a/

PS - If you subsitute the I-5 fighters with 2 X Nakotne I-4's you can make a 'Zveno-1'.......

szveno02.jpg

For info about the whole 'Zveno' family - see my 'Aviamatka' build here.

• Like 4

I remember reading your build article quite a few years ago, Ken. And to think now we have an IM kit of it. I wouldn't mind the I-5 part of this 'Zveno' being the ICM kit - that's actually a rather nice little kit.

Regards,

Jason

It will definitely be interesting to see the origins of the I-5's in there. The ICM kits are very reasonably priced and a Zveno could just be made by buying two, plus the Mikro Mir

I wonder if AModel have some new tool I-5's?

Their moulding standards have improved recently, but I'm not sure if they're up to ICM standard? :hmmm:

Tony

Edited I meant to write 'Mikro Mir' apologies.

It never ceases to amaze me that no what obscure beastie appears here,there is somebody who knows about it in detail.

As I've said before,that's why I like this site.

That's an interesting combination of aircraft and if it wasn't for my rule of only building stuff I've seen then I'd be tempted.

Richard

• Like 2

That will never end well! :doh:

The fighter was attached to the upper wing by 'spiders' that clamped onto the axle bar - the tail being supported by a folding strut.

On command from an engineer, the tail strut would be detached - followed by the 'spiders' - and the I-5 would fly away.

On one occasion, due to miscommunication, the 'spiders' were detached first - and the fighter pivoted about the rear strut and it nearly ended in disaster. :analintruder:

There was a successful Zveno-SPB combination - This combination was proposed on 14 August 1934 for a long-range bomber carrying smaller fighter-bombers. The slower bomber would carry the smaller fighter-bombers to within range of the target and release them. The faster fighter-bombers would be better able to avoid the enemy defences and strike their targets unmolested. The combination eventually emerged as a TB-3/AM-34FRN (AM-34 engines) with two I-16SPB fighter-bombers under the wings. The I-16SPB (Skorostnykh Pickirujuschikh Bombardirovschikov – High-Speed Dive Bomber) had reinforced wing spars and an additional oil tank fitted. It was able to carry a pair of FAB-250 (550lb) bombs on racks under the wings and was attached to the TB-3 on tubular triangular-shaped struts under the outer wings. The first flight took place in July 1937 and the combination was used successfully on July 26 1941 to attack the oilfields at Constantsa in German-occupied Romania. Following this success, on the night of 13 August 1941, the Chernavado bridge that carried an oil pipeline across the Danube was attacked and destroyed.

From my Aviamatka build.......

In addition to the above listed Zveno combinations, Vakhmistrov also proposed other interesting concepts – such as a transport glider with a ‘towing’ fighter mounted underwing, a Pe-8 four-engined heavy bomber with two MiG-3 fighters underwing, another Pe-8 with two I-16SPB’s, a flying bomb composite – similar to the German ‘Mistel’, a flying torpedo and a GST (Catalina) flying boat with two I-5’s on top of the wings.

That GST (Catalina) + I-5's would make an interesting model - as would the Pe-8/MiG-3

There's heaps more........ here.

Ken

Edited by Flankerman
  • Like 1

I was thinking more of something quite that complicated coming out of an Amodel box TBH. :winkgrin:

If it's ICM & Modelsvit parts it might be a goer, but if it's all Amodels own work I wouldn't touch it with a ten metre cattle prod. :shutup:

There is no Modelsvit input AFAIK - Mikro Mir TB-1 plus some manufacturers (possibly ICM) I-5, boxed by Amodel.

At least that's what I am speculating - I can't imagine Amodel tooling a brand new TB-1 following the release of the excellent Mikro-Mir kit of same.

I could be wrong though - it has been known !!

I also think that Modelsvit and Amodel are one and the same.

Or at least very similar - the plastic is the same, but Modelsvit's presentation and packaging are better - a sort of upmarket Amodel.

I think the same guys are involved with both enterprises - just my gut feeling, I have no insider info.

Ken

Let's not forget Avis either, Ken. Their plastic seems to be same also. I believe they may use the same injection-moulding equipment. And Avis moulds do wind up under the Amodel name - I'm thinking of the Hawker Hart series and the Hawker Fury II. At some level the companies do seem to be related.

Regards,

Jason

Amodel are also Military Wheels in the AFV world: http://henk.fox3000.com/MilitaryWheels.htm

I meant Mikro Mir when I wrote Modelsvit above, having followed the thread detailing their new TB-1, I'd be tempted by this kit if I were certain it was that plastic in the box. :coolio:

Good old Amodel :D

In their defence I can honestly say they do seem to be getting much better. I recently bought some of their DH-60 Moths and they were quite finely moulded out of a harder plastic than the old brittle soapy stuff. Even some of the older kits seem to be issued in better plastic with less flash of late, the Hawker Fury is an example - that's a lovely kit to build.

Maybe I've just been lucky recently :shrug:?

Their AR-2 is very impressive. Can't wait for a full review of this kit, it's going to be fascinating to see 'what's in the box' :)

Best regards

Tony