1/72 Hasegawa Morane Saolnier M.S.406 + friend

I picked up a Hasegawa combo at the local model Expo last year at a good price

Wanted to make something different and the French fighters from 1940 looked just the ticket

Here is my M.S.406 with its compatriot the Dewoitine D.520

Hope you like them.

Amusez-vous bien!

IMG_7920_zpsrk3xiedz.jpg?t=1465631422

IMG_7899_zpsy44ry9nq.jpg?t=1465631489

IMG_7898_zps1xvadnnj.jpg?t=1465631547

IMG_7897_zpss1yuolmh.jpg?t=1465631600

IMG_7923_zpsghnvhor0.jpg?t=1465631659

Here it is with its friend the Dewoitine D.520

cdf0653f-112f-4144-8039-266b2714680e_zps

IMG_7905_zpsyjtcflti.jpg?t=1465631758

And a bit of a recycled diorama that looks suitably 1940's France .....well......close enough!

IMG_7910_zpsaculha54.jpg?t=1465631830

IMG_7915_zpsp1d7edgh.jpg?t=1465631949

Hope you liked them

Cheers

Bruce

• Like 19

Nice job Bruce, they've turned out very nicely B)

The D.520, is it the one with "Loup Garou" (werewolf) written underneath the cockpit? I'd be tempted to try to find this set just for those markings...

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 1

Hey Stew,

Thanks for the interest.

Yes it's the D.520 you're interested in.

IMG_7930_zpsylkhiclq.jpg

The kit itself was a Hasegawa combo

I assume you could buy the D.520 kit separately with the same markings as my combo was simply a re-release of two existing kits with a Battle of France theme.

IMG_7931_zpsyisfcggv.jpg

I'm sure your D.520 will be a cracker and I look forward to seeing it when you hunt down the kit and build it!

All the best

Bruce

• Like 1

Thanks very much for that Bruce - those markings are specific to the Combo set, the single kit didn't include those markings and for some reason I have never found them as an aftermarket option either... 89.gif

I did build the D.520 years ago and it is a nice little kit, but I don't think I'll be getting the combo set at the prices they fetch over here... your pair have made it a more tempting proposition, but unless I find one at a more reasonable price I can't really justify the expense petitcondamne.gif

Cheers,

Stew

Thanks very much for that Bruce - those markings are specific to the Combo set, the single kit didn't include those markings and for some reason I have never found them as an aftermarket option either... 89.gif

I did build the D.520 years ago and it is a nice little kit, but I don't think I'll be getting the combo set at the prices they fetch over here... your pair have made it a more tempting proposition, but unless I find one at a more reasonable price I can't really justify the expense petitcondamne.gif

Cheers,

Stew

I know what you mean Stew

Hasegawa seams to be quite expensive but I got the combo for 30% off retail and that made the price of 2 kits on average sort of okay. (I'd never made Hasegawa before so wanted to see what they were like)

I assumed they were just existing releases repackaged as a combo so it's a surprise to find the version/decals you're after aren't available in the earlier standard single kits.

Otherwise I guess it's a hunt around for some aftermarket decals if you're lucky.

Cheers

Bruce

Forgot to add the paints (apart from the browns) are all model master enamels.

The browns are Mr Hobby Acrylic on the M.S. 406 and Tamiya Acrylic on the D.520

Cheers

Hi Bruce,

not that I am partial to French aircraft (which, actually I am!) but these two models looks very nice!

I have the D520 to build and just found the Ms 406 in a shop in South Africa. So that will be part of my next order!

They both are charismatic aircraft and extremely dear to French aviation enthusiasts. So thanks for modelling them!

The next great one is the Potez 63.11. Was that a hint?

Congrats

JR
PS: I recognized straight away a small piece of the French countryside in your diorama!!!!!

Edited by jean
  • Like 1

I love the look of the D520 and also the Morane,

though they were produced by different companies

they share the long nose (due to the Hispano engines)

and definetly "look french".

Because of that resemblance some german pilots had a bad

surprise, in particular Werner Molders who was shot down by a D520

he had mistaken for a M406.It seams the german pilots were not aware

of the existence of the 520 (the plane was recent and in scarce numbers with front line units)

during the battle of France, because all their reports state encounters with french M406

even when they were fighting Dewoitines.

If some of you guys are really into the "french connection" allow me to remind you that Azur has a very

nice D520 and its big ! (1/32)

cheers

Outstanding models. Bruce! :clap: :clap: Unusual camo (for me), but I'm particularly impressed by the wing roundels, they look painted on! .... are they? :)

Ciao

Edited by giemme
  • Like 1

Outstanding models. Bruce! :clap: :clap: Unusual camo (for me), but I'm particularly impressed by the wing roundels, they look painted on! .... are they? :)

Ciao

thanks Giorgio...appreciate the encouragement

No not painted on ....just lots of Micro Sol and Micro set!

• Like 1

A very good looking Morane.

By the way, there's a typo on the boxart, it should read "Morane-Saulnier".

;)

Thank you Antoine

Being a heathen born in Australia I assumed the manufacturers would get that right!

I appreciate the enlightenment

Merci!