1/48 VF-111 F-14a - Eduard COMPLETE RFI Link in Last Post

Great progress!

Oliver

Thanks Oliver, I am following that F-4 thread of yours, and its looking great.

Hi Ian,

Just had a read through your thread and I like what I have seen ( what's not to like ! ) . I admire your detail work the cockpit looks great and the engines look miles better with the extra effort you have put into them.

Keep up the great work, I will keep an eye on this one !

Guy

Thanks very much Guy, I appreciate the feedback!

- Ian

Tonights update:

0cd45242-877e-4909-aee0-8eb2bdce5db6.jpg

First up is a little teaser of what the access panel will show, its not as much as I like so will most likely take the opposing one off as well.

WP_20160622_22_18_12_Pro.jpg

All inaccurate rivets filled and sanded down

WP_20160622_22_18_33_Pro.jpg

The front section has also all been fitted and the cockpit sealed in. There is a good few fit issues that will need some filling/sanding/rescribing work as well so this is going to be a lot of work.

WP_20160622_22_19_09_Pro.jpg

WP_20160622_22_18_59_Pro.jpg

WP_20160622_22_38_17_Pro.jpg

And then finally I added a little bit of scratch build detail in that I should have thought about before but completely forgot. Just some simple wiring but it will help bring some colour into the access panels.

WP_20160622_22_35_32_Pro.jpg

Also noticed that these electronics bays will need to be painted black (the electronic boxes that is) and have to decide if I will had some details into the empty one or will I close it up, still undecided.

Apologies about the quality of the photos I am only left with my phone at the minute at its fairly late so no chance of natural light I am afraid!

- Ian

• Like 9

Been a bit quiet once again, but I have made some more progress.

WP_20160628_16_38_55_Pro.jpg

First up, I removed the opposite panel, now there is lots of the engine on show!

WP_20160628_16_39_05_Pro.jpg

The main landing gear wells and a few other panels got themselves a bit of white and a gloss coat followed by some panel line wash. I still need to go over to clean up the panel lines with the thinners but will do that in a bit when it dries a little first.

WP_20160628_17_58_21_Pro.jpg

I suppose its also worth mentioning the extra few details, only small ones added to the landing gear bay. With a bit of colour it will really pop.

WP_20160627_17_12_01_Pro.jpg

And the directional lights on the the front landing gear were drilled out and just need to be painted.

WP_20160628_17_37_04_Pro.jpg

The intakes were all assembled now that most of the demolition work is complete on the rear of the airframe.

WP_20160628_16_59_26_Pro.jpg

WP_20160628_17_05_45_Pro.jpg

WP_20160628_17_06_02_Pro.jpg

I also put together the wings. These have also had all the rivets removed and mentioned previously as well as the panel lines rescribed.

WP_20160628_16_07_18_Pro.jpg

Aside from all that not much has been done, will have to prep some more resin parts, mainly the intake fans, and chin pod. I am considering using the resin chin pod, although the actual aircraft never used the later F-14a chin pod as this is an earlier version I am still unsure if I will take that route of "Modelers Licence".

After that its time to get scratch building the interior of the engine bay that is going to be on show so I can get it painted and join the the fuselage half's together.

• Like 7

Hi all, anther quick update. Didn't get anything done over the weekend but here is the progress so far from last week.

I firstly sanded down the panels a little bit to make them a little less thick. I kind of cheated on this one by mainly focusing on the edges that would be visible so it just appears to be that little bit thinner but if you took a calipers to the center it would still be the original thickness. As well as that I added the hinge as you can see by just using some wire and cutting the insulation which should give the desired effect especially when a wash is applied.

WP_20160701_17_30_47_Pro.jpg

Then I started on the interior. I left a couple of pipes handing down as if they were "Disconnected" from the engine as you can see, I just need to add the corresponding "valve" on the engine as well.

WP_20160701_17_33_34_Pro.jpg

And then we also have the other side.

WP_20160701_17_33_09_Pro.jpg

Then with the engine in place, I couldn't get a good photo of what you can actually see with the engine in place. There is definitely stuff visible. The interior is also just dry fitted with blue tac and some brackets made from square tubing cut in half. There will be replaced when fitted so they sit at more of a 120 degree angle. This will be more in line with the real steal as well as letting you see more of the detail.

WP_20160701_17_34_48_Pro.jpg

WP_20160701_17_34_33_Pro.jpg

The pipes that will hang down from the wall are made from stretched sprue and then the holes bored out. I also added some stretched sprue to the larger diameter pipe to give the look of a valve connector or nut. Once side panel also got some PE added which was left over from my HB F/a-18. I think this will help it pop.

e5613c84-d0f5-454c-bd91-136f2fe1bda1.jpg

88a50607-be93-4ebc-a87a-da661a6c7ec2.jpg

Finally I also managed to fit the PE in the afterburner. This is now one step closer to being painted. Once I am happy with the interior I will make a start on getting everything painted and then it will be time to seal it all in and joining the fuselages.

WP_20160701_17_44_32_Pro.jpg

I think its also worth mentioning for anybody who is thinking of doing something similar or who is just building their own tomcat and can't find any good walkarounds online, I found the below website on my searches. Found them to be really good and is where I got all my references for who the interior of the engine compartments should look like.

http://www.carrierbuilders.net/

Anyway hope you enjoy the update!

- Ian

• Like 11

As above superb work and a great link thanks.

Guy

• Like 1

Another update before the weekend hits us. Won't have any more updates till some time next week as I will be heading home to Ireland for the weekend, so hopefully this one will keep you all going till then. :popcorn:

IMG_20160706_211757.jpg

After adding the hinges I also added the clasps. I will probably revisit and reshape these at a later stage this was more a test fit. I have glued them in place when I realised I still have to rivet and detail the interior of these panels so they will most likely pop off during that process unfortunately.

IMG_20160706_124734.jpg

IMG_20160706_124746.jpg

The interior walls and roof also got a few struts added. These details will mostly be covered by the engine but some will be visible so thought it best to add them in at least. Also added a little extra pipe work which will show great with some colour and a wash applied.

IMG_20160706_124758.jpg

The nose end of the compartment also got added as you could see the massive gap that was there. This was also detailed with some ribbing and some pipe work.

IMG_20160706_211609.jpg

Then everything got a lick of paint. The interior roof and one side wall gets a coat of white while everything else gets Tamiya Gun Metal. These will then be highlighted with some washes and Vallejo metal colour silver. I use both Tamiya and Vallejo paints. Tamiya sprays great but can't be brush painted so will eventually move completely towards vallejo as they are more versatile.

IMG_20160706_211629.jpg

IMG_20160706_211729.jpg

Engine and pipe all with their base coats as well as the side walls. I will be picking out the metal silver for the engines then adding a gloss coat followed by washes and then the colour for the pipes. I also made a start on painting the gun but this will be low on the priority list, the goal is get the overall body ready for paint as that will be a big process with the salt weathering everything planned. This means all smaller details will be pushed back...including landing gear etc.

And that is all for me for the moment. Hope you enjoy the update, if you have any questions of how I did anything or my plans or just anything all please don't hesitate to ask I am more then willing to share! :thumbsup:

• Like 5

Beautiful work.

I hope there are not so many fitting issues?

Thanks very much! No not as of yet. Everything seems to fit together perfectly. The only thing I have noticed so far is with the front fuselage as having a few defects in the mould. This was a small depression easily fixed with some filler and sanding as well as the panel lines on the under side as being really faint. Most likely all related from when it was cast. All this was fixed with a quick rescribe and some more filling and sanding.

Everything else practically clicks together! Which can get annoying when it comes to keep parts separated for painting. Where several parts would fit together to form a really solid assembly you have you would (or well I have) to sacrifice that to make painting a little bit easier.

Hey all here is the latest from this build.

I started painting and detailing the interior. This is with all washes and colours added.

IMG_20160712_180841.jpg

IMG_20160712_180849.jpg

IMG_20160712_184626.jpg

IMG_20160712_184538.jpg

The same also applies to the engine.

IMG_20160712_180857.jpg

IMG_20160712_180906.jpg

IMG_20160712_180912.jpg

With all these parts weathered and that jazz as well as the glove vanes painted and weathered I did some test fitting and started sealing everything in.

IMG_20160712_192752.jpg

IMG_20160712_194715.jpg

IMG_20160712_194738.jpg

Glove vanes in.

IMG_20160712_194822.jpg

Glove vanes out...dealers choice :popcorn:

IMG_20160712_194804.jpg

And that is all for me tonight. Once I have the fuselage together I will finally be back on track following the instructions some what and making my way towards painting. This should also mark the end of the largest chunk of scratch building. Only have the detail the interior of the access panels which is more scribing and riveting than scratch building.

Hope you enjoy the update, will keep you all posted on any new progress.

- Ian

• Like 6

I think the glove vanes got sealed shut at some point in the Tomcats use..

Yeah they started to remove them from production as they just added extra weight and weren't be used. From the image of the tomcat I am looking to build it still had the glove vanes, although you may be right in saying they were sealed shut but the slot/panels are still shaped to accommodate the glove vane.

p1013389207-3.jpg

Hi all,

Its been another few quiet days for me I am afraid. Not much progress made. I am currently getting everything all set up for priming which will then be checked for any more sanding and then from there it will be time to move to paint.

I also have a good few sub assemblies I neglected to put together and so I wanted to make a start on them once everything was all masked off.

IMG_20160719_195712.jpg

b9952d1d-6bbd-4c13-be11-77452d79bf0c.jpg

IMG_20160719_195657.jpg

IMG_20160719_195740.jpg

So first up here is just a few photos of how the whole thing looks when it has been all masked off. I still need to add a little bit of filler and sand the arrest hook housing. I glued it on before realising I had missed it.

IMG_20160719_213856.jpg

I also put together this tomcats payload. As you can see from the above photos I will only be fixing this bad boy up with 2 phoenix's a couple of sidewinders and 3 AIM-7's, two under the wings and the last one on the belly.

Hope you enjoy the update!

As always questions and critiques are always welcome!

- Ian

• Like 6