Tamiya 1/20 McLaren MP4/8 - Detailing and Correcting

Hi everyone,

Great tip on toning down the instrument panel. I gave it a coating up X-19 Smoke and I'm very pleased with it.

4PLcQeT.jpg

I added the rain light and associated wiring to the engine/gearbox assembly. The silver is vallejo steel, and I also used it as a base for the actual light itself. Clear Red was brushed over the silver and I think it adds depth to it.

Wz3QGww.jpg

And with that I'm 95% done with the engine. I finished the bright blue wiring and hosing, all that it needs is wiring and piping to the radiators, wiring loom, and associated things not in the engine assembly.

UL8cxji.jpg

And finally, the seat with decals and cockpit siding. I'm really pleased with how well the rubber black looks on the seat.

RuojFv0.jpg

That's all for now, comments always welcome.

Thanks for looking,

Jake

Looking very good jake. Ts36 is a real pain of a colour, I used the tamiya route a couple of years ago on a mp4/4 then tried to clear coat after a couple of weeks curing and the red reacted with ts13 really quickly even though is was pretty light coat put on. Best bet is to use either zeros marlboro red or gravity paints marlboro red. Both work really nice over white.

Shaun

• 2 weeks later...

Most of the major bodywork is done! I used TS-36 through and airbrush and was surprised at how well it worked. I still need to touch up the engine cover, the left side has a pretty bad run.

0YtgtUS.jpg

I couldn't resist a mock-up.

n6BcEci.jpg

Up next is applying carbon decals for the monocoque and painting the rear wing.

Thanks for looking,

Jake

• Like 1

Decals hooray!

anEtpEB.jpg

Here is the monocoque, the kit decals went down smoothly.

g0jaC43.jpg

More of the S27 carbon decals for the bottom of the tub, not quite perfect but more than enough for me.

2aIuLgy.jpg

The front wing. Unfortunately the kit does not have decals for the Shell Oil logos either.

MKv1KxH.jpg

And the rear wing. The orange shows through the white decals on the endplates, but it isn't too bad.

Thanks for looking,

Jake

So today I really just lost patience and started glueing the whole thing together. Boy am I glad I did that! I think I may be only a few days away from my first F1 car finally being finished!

OaO7RzH.jpg

fXCAqo0.jpg

All I have left is mounting the rear wing, radiator piping, mirrors, tire decals, and wiring around the sidepods. Probably one more update in a few days and then it'll be off to RFI!

Thank you for looking,

Jake

• 2 weeks later...

Looks beautiful. Very well done !

is this the car Mika put on pole the first race he joined beside Senna ? and beat him by a few tenth ? ( he lit his a.. and rightly so, was about time someone put this guy in his place)