Gerry Anderson sound effects

While most documentaries and books about the Gerry Anderson shows quite rightly praise the stunning visual effects, does anyone remember seeing anything about where the sound effects came from?

I ask because while at Bruntingthorpe the other week for the Cold War Jets day, as the Canberra cruised across in front of me, I suddenly had an image of palm trees swinging away to the side. I closed my eyes and almost convinced myself that Thunderbird 2 was taxying by.

I suppose the easiest way to acquire aircraft engine sounds would have been to trot up the road to Heathrow with a tape recorder, but I can't recall the origin of the sound effects ever being mentioned, and my curiosity has been piqued now.

Cheers,

Paul

Mine too.

I have a vague memory of a power set being

used for the turbine sounds but where I read it

I can't remember. I'll have another look through

his biography if I get time.

I do know those series wouldn't have been the

same without those 'authentic' noises.

• 7 months later...

Sometimes you can make sound effects using surprising things, kitchen gadgets, then use something like the audio program Audacity on the Mac  to mess around with it.You can speed up, crop and loop to make things sound just like>

I once was standing up by where the Lincon bomber  is at Cosford, and the sounds, speech and echoes  around  the hangar were just like the hotel room at the end of 2001 A Space Odessey..

weird.