L A museum trip

oggy4624

I just got back from a 5 day west coast trip that started at Yanks , then Chino, March, Palm Springs , LA science Museum , Universal studios and finally a day at LAX.

Day one started out with a disasterous trip to Point Mugu.

A tad pic heavy

Point Mugu

DSC_1900.jpg

DSC_1909.jpgDSC_1913.jpgDSC_1937.jpg

Day 2 started with Yanks

DSC_1978.jpg

DSC_2004.jpgDSC_2023.jpgDSC_2059.jpgDSC_2092.jpg

Then Planes of Fame

DSC_2122.jpgDSC_2140.jpgDSC_2170.jpgDSC_2253.jpgDSC_2257.jpg

Then finally to March AFB (big day)

DSC_2270.jpgDSC_2328.jpgDSC_2378.jpgDSC_2391.jpgDSC_2445.jpg

The next day, on to Palm Springs.

DSC_2492.jpgDSC_2560.jpgDSC_2577.jpgDSC_2582.jpgDSC_2691.jpgDSC_2708.jpg

This MD nearly qualified as an exibit , with 2 arriving while I was there.

DSC_2743.jpg

Later, I drove back to the centre of LA for these

DSC_2783.jpgDSC_2793.jpgDSC_2811_1.jpgDSC_2820.jpg

At least I made 1 DC8!

I made a day by combining March with Chino and went to universal studion where someone had carelessly parked a 747 (war of the worlds)

DSC_2889.jpg

Last day - Imperial Hill @ LAX - go in November - less heat haze

DSC_3066.jpgDSC_3446.jpgDSC_3823.jpgDSC_3919.jpgDSC_3923.jpgDSC_3949.jpgDSC_3977.jpgDSC_4036.jpg

OOOOOOH!!!!!!!!--- I remember them.

DSC_4196.jpgDSC_4308.jpg

And finally , my GOZOME bird - LAX - DUB direct in 9 hours (11 out)

DSC_3184.jpg

Great museums topped off with a fantastic day at LAX and a lousy one at Mugu.

• Like 3

Some great shots here. After 30 years in L.A. still haven't seen all of these - need to get out more.

When I visited L.A. as a tourist ( which decided me to move here ) I visited Universal and they had dismembered 747 from "Airport 77" I think it was - where the jumbo ends up in the ocean. Seems they have a thing from wrecked 747s.

Cheers,

Mike

March - definitely. It closes at 1600 and does not open on Mondays.

Chino and Yanks are co-located and would be worth a trip as they are not too far away from March.

Point Mugu had very little traffic and I have been told that it is now the norm.

They also have the habit of using the unaccessable runway a lot.

Edited by oggy4624

March - definitely. It closes at 1600 and does not open on Mondays.

Chino and Yanks are co-located and would be worth a trip as they are not too far away from March.

Point Mugu had very little traffic and I have been told that it is now the norm.

They also have the habit of using the unaccessable runway a lot.

Cheers Oggy, I'll add March to my list. I'm hoping to go see the USS Iowa as well.

Dave

Nice shots. I'm going to be in LA at the beginning of October, I'm hoping to drive down to San Diego to see USS Midway, where's the Iowa moored?

Looks like good shots from March AFB, is it easily accessible?

Where's Imperial Hill in relation to LAX? Is there car parking? Just an open area?

Nice shots. I'm going to be in LA at the beginning of October, I'm hoping to drive down to San Diego to see USS Midway, where's the Iowa moored?

Looks like good shots from March AFB, is it easily accessible?

Where's Imperial Hill in relation to LAX? Is there car parking? Just an open area?

Midway is a great Museum. I was there in 2013 and going back in August. There were two carriers moored at NAS North Island, of which you get a great view from the Midway. Always plenty of F/A-18's flying about too.

Iowa is moored at Los Angeles docks, about 30 minutes from LAX.

Dave

http://www.spotterguide.net/index.php/planespotting/north-america/united-states-of-america/los-angeles-lax-klax/

LAX-Spot1.jpg

This is imperial hill and is shown on the spotters guide map.

This is the only spot that I visited when I was at LAX and was happy enough with my photos.

Best visited in cooler months because of heat haze. Car parking is no problem as it is a residential area.

I didn't visit Camarillo as I was awake for close to 36 hours at that stage - it is impossible to sleep on the 787 , it is a noisy aeroplane.

I wasted too much time at PM and when I hit the highway, I needed to head for the hotel in Chino.

If I were ever to hit LA again, I would have to head to Pima/Davis Monthan.

LAX would be the cheapest option for me to get to Tucson.

I loved Yanks and Chino back during the Orange County Nats.

Been a long time since I visited them but my oldest currently lives in Fullerton so I may be making a visit in the future.

Lovely work, isn't March a great Museum?

Nice to see the F-4 outside at Palm Springs, it was tucked (tightly) away in doors when I visited in 2013.

Wow - that's a lot of aeroplanes and looks like you had a great trip - especially love the Qatar 777 and the vapour in the engines,

cheers and thanks for sharing,