HMS Holland submarine - 1/350 scale scratchbuild attempt

Having just started the Blue Ridge resin kit of the USS Albacore - I was struck by how similar she was to the Royal Navy's first submarine, HMS Holland.

The same teardrop-shaped hull, rear mounted propellers etc - it seems that nothing is new.

Anyway, I thought I'd have a go at scratching HMS Holland - so I found some drawings and photos online and scaled them down to 1/350 scale.

Conveniently, the hull is 10mm dia in this scale - so I carved out the teardop shape using a 10mm dia plastic knitting needle....

350-HMS%20Holland_01.jpg

The flat decking is from plastic card cut to shape - and blended in with filler - (it still needs work)......

350-HMS%20Holland_02.jpg

It won't be museum quality - it is only 56mm long and my eyesight isn't what it was - but it will show just how small she was and will add to my growing submarine collection.

Ken

• Like 6

Nice tidy start and as for "museum quality" it looks pretty damn good to me. I do like scratch building projects and I am looking forward to seeing how this one goes. :goodjob:

It isn't quite the right shape I have just noticed - the Hollands hull shape is a continuous curve from bow to stern.

Mine has a short parallel section amidships - but I'll have to live with it now....

Like I said - it's really to just to add to the collection - and to demonstrate just how small these first practicable subs were.

It'll be great to display it next to my Russian Akula (Typhoon).

Ken

I'm calling it done (or at least built) - my eyes hurt from the squinting at the tiny plastic card parts....

350-HMS%20Holland_03.jpg

It actually looks better than the photos suggest - honest!

350-HMS%20Holland_04.jpg

A lick of paint will see her finsihed.

Ken

• Like 1