SAC over Black, the North American Aviation B-70 in combat.

This is a bit of a trip for me. I bought one of these years back, and sold it to a guy stateside who was desperate for one. I picked this one up from Graham at BCWM as stuff he wanted to clear.

Some background. After the success of Project Bullseye http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234947286-monogram-b-58-148-project-bullseye/?hl=%2Bproject+%2Bbullseye the General Staff at USAF HQ wanted to take this further. Their latest toy was under threat of cancellation as it's strategic role was limited, and it's recon capabilities were taken over by the SR (RS) 71, the CIA having kept everyone in the dark about Project Oxcart. With the Vietnam war still in full swing, and the B-70's intended role as a replacement for the BUFF, Gen Curtis LeMay managed to get funding to complete AV-3 Bu 20208 as a fully fitted bomber, the previous airframes being relegated to research. B-52s were being lost over Hanoi, and the idea of a High Mach dash across North Vietnam was being pursued as a possible means to avoid losses. Consequently 20208 was tested for weapons release in secret from Groom Lake, over the adjacent nuclear weapons test sites, and found to be effective and accurate. Prior to deployment in theatre, the aircraft was painted under Tech Order 1.1.4a in the standard SAC over Black scheme, and despatched to Guam for operational use. Several successful sorties were undertaken, which apparently scared the VC. Their superstitions based on fear of dragons came to the fore when faced with the double sonic boom, and a fast moving trail of fire in the sky from the 6 afterburning GE J93s.

Although classed as a success, operations were halted as only 30 engines were made, and parts were unavailable. The aircraft never returned to CONUS, and it's fate is shrouded in mystery, although rumours abound it suffered an engine fire on take off from Guam and it went into the sea.

Ladies and Gentlepeeps, I give you 'Project Bullsh*t: '

IMGP2093_zpsmyn4u1eu.jpg

IMGP2094_zpsnx5ea4tb.jpg

IMGP2095_zpsu8vl5rw0.jpg

IMGP2097_zps9odoblmz.jpg

This is a brute of a kit. Not many parts - about 80, and not as much filler as I expected. Its just the size of the thing - you could put strings on it and play it like a Balalaika.

• Like 33

Hello,bentwaters81tfw - That's a very impressive subject and a beautifully built and finished tribute to the 'Valkyrie'.A massive model on an equally massive cutting pad! ;) All the best,Paul.

I'm used to seeing these going down in flames on Ace Combat, nice to see one up close and intact! What a monster and I've been looking forward to seeing it after you mentioned it in your email! Very impressive! Silver tyres stand out a bit though mate! Lol!

Jeez, it's got to be nearly a metre long! I take it that you would have had to get B&Q to mix up sufficient quantities of paint!!!

It's funny you mention the musical connection. When I built mine, I thought , "This is bigger than my Fender Stratocaster" and looks like something a Guitar Hero would play.

Trev

Fantastic - and the storyline sounds like it could have been lifted from "The Watchmen" ;):D

Great Looking Valkyrie in SEA Camo!

I'm also having two in the stash, waiting for some whiffery...

Nice. Always wondered about B-70 Whifs - can the airframe be other than white or did heat issues limit it like Concorde? A NMF with white underside and SAC shield/stripe would be something.

Here are a few more suggestions:

http://www.edwardsflighttest.com/b70.html

Your wish shall become true ;-)

General Melchetts excellent B-70

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/32764-italeri-amt-xb-70a-valkyrie/page-11

Great Looking Valkyrie in SEA Camo!

I'm also having two in the stash, waiting for some whiffery...

Your wish shall become true ;-)

General Melchetts excellent B-70

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/32764-italeri-amt-xb-70a-valkyrie/page-11

Knew I'd seen one somewhere, what a beauty. Still like to see a Thunderbirds B-70 though... I did start the Academy 1/300 XB-70 kit to whif it but its a dog. If only the 1/200 Cyber-Hobby would get a move on.

It's funny you mention the musical connection. When I built mine, I thought , "This is bigger than my Fender Stratocaster" and looks like something a Guitar Hero would play.

Trev

Looks a bit like a Gibson Flying V doesn't it? Or a balalaika

Edited by JosephLalor