This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

You can find a list of those cookies here: mysite.com/cookies

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer. :)

Mike

Posts advertising Blogs, Websites, Forums & Channels

Mike    10,644

There has been a rise lately of people advertising their Blogs, Forums, Websites and Channels to entice members to sign up for their modelling musings, and it's now got to the stage where we need to call a halt to it. It is becoming more apparent that some members can't limit themselves to just a single post about it in their quest to get subscribers and from those subscribers, subsequent advertising revenue from their enterprise. We have kept a watch on things and it has increased in frequency until it has now become irritating.

From now on, we will remove any thread that invites people to their blogs, sites, Facebook Page or YouTube channel etc. without discussion. However, anyone that wishes to have a link to their chosen blog, website or channel in their signature may still do so as long as it meets the usual signature criteria, and is not of the animated type.

Why have we done this? We took the decision very early on that Britmodeller was not to be run as an advertising platform for our own, or anyone else's benefit. For the sole reason that we dislike the intrusion upon the enjoyment of the honest content, we have stuck to this way of thinking with a great deal of support from the membership. Having people advertising their own commercial ventures such as blogs, YouTube channels, forums etc. makes a mockery of that aim.

Britmodeller is a community of modellers, for modellers, not a profit generation opportunity. This site exists on the generosity of members providing donations, please don't abuse their generosity.

Mike    10,644

Thanks for your input Dave :)

brooker    53

As above, hear hear.

Any links I have provided, were to bring more information to modellers, over and above what limited information I might have had and without any profit, of any kind to me - so I had nothing to gain personally - except trying to do the right thing, by and for all.

Brooker

ShipbuilderMN    1,671

I didn't know we could put blog links in signatures, so I have just done it. I take it this is OK?

Stu_davros    350

A very welcome decision, advertising is becoming more and more intrusive every day and I'm glad Britmodeller has always taken a stand against it.

Cheers,

Stuart

Mark    1,858

Well said Mike. Wasn't life great when things were simpler?

Radleigh    3,483

Am I one of those guys? I don't make any money from my website and I've never asked anyone to subscribe, I do it for the enjoyment, nothing else. I will stop posting links and photos though if that's the case..

Greg B    1,191

Am I one of those guys? I don't make any money from my website and I've never asked anyone to subscribe, I do it for the enjoyment, nothing else. I will stop posting links and photos though if that's the case..

Nope matey, not aimed at you. Your site host heaps of good phots that you are good enough to post links to on here so people can see model and air shows.

Unfortunately we are seeing more and more blog sites with advertising posted by new members or members who do nothing else. The prime example is our Brazilian friend who infests various sites under different user names.

Kirk    632

The prime example is our Brazilian friend who infests various sites under different user names.

Not sure I've seen him. Could you post a link? :winkgrin:

Mark    1,858

cmatthewbacon    1,609

Where do you draw the line, though? If Spence posts some pictures of his latest fabulous build in RFI, and says "more pictures and a full build at my Blog"... does that get pulled? If I post a sample of pictures of a completed car here, and link through to my photo album with more pictures?

In practice, if the rule is enforced aggressively, I suspect a lot of perfectly useful and innocent content will get caught in the net. Even when there's advertising on a linked blog, the blogger may have little control of it, and simply be accepting it as a part of the "free" provision of tools and hosting.

I think things were better when a mod could delete threads that were blatant plugs (like someone who's never posted before spamming the forums with nothing but links to a new commercial forum), but give the benefit of a "reasonable position" to posters who were posting valuable content, sharing it here, and delivering more on their own sites (you don't want to have to be rebuilding the same content over and over, and Wordpress gives you a lot more control over how people see the content you want to share than IPS Board software does...)

I think this is a real "cutting off your nose to spite your face" solution...

best,

M

Mike    10,644

Where we draw the line is as stated above. Of course we have room for people not actively pimping their blogs, but how can we tell who is and isn't making money out of it? :shrug: Someone posting "have a look at my blog for a bit of fun" when they get money from every visit is somewhat disingenuous, and not something we can accommodate in good conscience.

To answer your question about "more photos on my blog/channel", we've always discouraged that, and ask that members post their RFI and WFI pictures HERE, rather than as a link to somewhere else, so there's no real change there.

Previously there was no rule to rein in those that can't resist abusing our hospitality. Now there is so people know where they stand and we can refer them to this thread if they overstep the mark. I don't see where we're cutting off our noses to spite our faces? :shrug:

cmatthewbacon    1,609

Well, here's an example. I go to the Donington Classic Motor Racing and snap a shed load of pictures. After careful editing, I upload the 120 best to Smugmug in about three mouse clicks. It organised a gallery and nice slide show for me. I know there are some BMers who are car nuts, and a lot more generally interested. So I select the 10 best, and laboriously post them one by one into in a thread on the forum, and add a link to view the whole album. And then what? You take the post down, and the casual enthusiasts don't even see the 10, and the hardcore don't know the album exists at all. Or I don't post a link, the thread stays up, and precisely the people on BM who DO want to see the pictures can't find it. And this place can't present an album of 120 pictures as nicely and in as user friendly s way as a dedicated photo site -- never mind the effort required from the poster. I'd call that cutting off the nose to spite the face.

Blogs and photo hosts do different things from a discussion board, and offer users and readers/viewers a different experience. There are plenty of legitimate reasons for offering an optimised sample of content here, with s link to a substantially different version elsewhere, for people to follow if they wish. It's the world wide WEB after all not the world wide THREAD.

Best,

M.

Kirk    632

Just to stick 2p in:

As a consumer of BM, I tend towards Matthew's view in that nobody makes me follow external links. A hyperlink to a reference photo hosted at say Airliners.net illustrating an aspect of someone's build might catch my interest but a link to a gallery of a so-so model probably wouldn't.

Were I administering the site or paying its bills I dare say I wouldn't appreciate users who set out to leverage the brand I had built up for their own purposes. It just feels to me a bit more like a policy thing that a blanket prohibition rule. If the mods think a post contains a gratuitous parasitic link then they might redirect it to the forum home page and tell you to stop doing it. If your link extends the value of the site then this seems more like benefit than harm. What the Beeb to is add a disclaimer to the effect that external links are followed at your own risk.

I get the point that it's your site and you can do what you like, so take the well-intentioned feedback in whatever way you will.

I think I hear the beeps: My 2p as run out.

Kirk

Julien    4,075

Well, here's an example. I go to the Donington Classic Motor Racing and snap a shed load of pictures. After careful editing, I upload the 120 best to Smugmug in about three mouse clicks. It organised a gallery and nice slide show for me. I know there are some BMers who are car nuts, and a lot more generally interested. So I select the 10 best, and laboriously post them one by one into in a thread on the forum, and add a link to view the whole album. And then what? You take the post down, and the casual enthusiasts don't even see the 10, and the hardcore don't know the album exists at all. Or I don't post a link, the thread stays up, and precisely the people on BM who DO want to see the pictures can't find it. And this place can't present an album of 120 pictures as nicely and in as user friendly s way as a dedicated photo site -- never mind the effort required from the poster. I'd call that cutting off the nose to spite the face.

Blogs and photo hosts do different things from a discussion board, and offer users and readers/viewers a different experience. There are plenty of legitimate reasons for offering an optimised sample of content here, with s link to a substantially different version elsewhere, for people to follow if they wish. It's the world wide WEB after all not the world wide THREAD.

Best,

M.

Hi,

not sure but you seem to be getting blogs and photohosting sites mixed up. As far as I can see there is no rule about linking to your photobucket, smugmug, flickr etc. Its more aimed at blogs, youtube channels etc which can be used to generate money. If I am wrong I am sure Mike will point me in the right direction? its been said for RFI and WIP that pics are posted here, but for your example of 120 car show pics I cant see a problem with linking to a photosharing site?

cmatthewbacon    1,609

Well, I read:

"we will remove any thread that invites people to their blogs, sites, Facebook Page or YouTube channel etc."

As covering pretty much everything...

The point stands, though... There are all kinds of relevant content that are better displayed in other types of site and typically, web sites link content to other web sites.

It's actually better for BM to link widely, since both links to BM and backlinks FROM BM promote the site with Google...

Bestest,

M.

rayprit    276

This is the only club/forum that allows a lot of Leeway, too much as Mike has stated.............time to stamp it out before it snowballs.

Check out other Modelling forums, Military Modelling, Airfix, Armorama, Hyperscale etc, etc................do you see any "taking advantages" going on.........very, very rare to see any video links on them at all This is the only one that seems open to abuse unless moderators step in..............

Lets just keep it in house, no need to expand any further...................if you feel you need further education, then subscribe to the intruder and add to your favourites.................don't take snipes at the club admin for following and enforcing the rules.............adhere or move on

bzn20    2,059

Good news. :yikes:

Edited by bzn20

Metodi    110

Since all my content has been deleted (regardless of the amount of pictures uploaded on YOUR server) I come to the conclusion that a post once in two months bugs you beyond any measure. "blog pimping"

Farewell then.

All the best

Metodi, aka Blog pimp :)

Mike    10,644

Sorry you feel that way... however, unless you've submitted walkaround pictures, no photos are ever uploaded to our server by members. I'll switch you to Frozen and remove your personal details shortly. If you change your mind in the future, just email me.

ShipbuilderMN    1,671

In my view, it is the wording that tends to upset people "pimping their wares!" I was very annoyed to have this quoted at me some time back, despite a lot of useful input from me, and info freely given. Just as I was recovering, it all starts up again! I suppose I come into that class as well!

Bob

IanF    39

I see this as a positive step. There is one member on here in particular who posts their work, contributes nothing to, or comments on other members work, then proceeds to point everyone in the direction of their blog/Youtube channel etc.

I don't come to Britmodeller only to have someone who isn't really that interested in it to try and divert me away to their site.

If nothing else, it is rude to the good people who take their time to run, operate and maintain this site.

Regards

Ian