Academy 1:35 Panzer IV - first in 30 years...

Morning folks - as the title suggests this is my first armour build since I was a teenager and I really enjoyed it. It is the cheap and cheerful Academy kit which I thought a good one to start with in case I made a hash of it! Now building the venerable Tamiya Panther which seems to be going quite well so far.

All OOB and I used Vallejo acrylics with Ultimate Dark Dirt Wash and Tamiya weathering powders and mud pen. Is it normal not to have painting guides in armour kits?

Is it too dark? Any thoughts on how I can improve on the build welcome..

Chris

717bc8d8-b1fc-4bee-a016-e49aab218391_zpsec445b22-db09-4d8d-99bd-a70c9e45d2c6_zpsb9009725-d5b3-4dee-94bf-103f8be0078c_zpse183a5ee-989f-49ad-a29b-4aaa79cf54e6_zps

• Like 6

Really nice Chris, i'm just getting back to tanks too, again after quite some time, so your work is inspiring.

Take care,

Matt

A very nice P IV there Chris. Although the Academy kits lack the fancy features of modern Dragon ones, it still looks like a Panzer IV :)

Armour painting guides are generally way behind those you'll find with aircraft kits.

As far as your colours go, the yellow is fine, but I'd lighten the brown & green a touch on any future builds.

Another small detail that can add a great deal is painting the wooden parts (tool handles, cleaning rods) in a light tan. Once dry, go over with some dark brown oil paint & keep brushing lengthwise until you're left with a streaky effect. It really gives a wooden look.

Cheers

Patrick

My two cents worth: I like it. The muted tones definitely work. My only critique, markings last about as long as a new unlocked Ferrari in the bad part of town. Some chipping and fading of those would really complete the model.

Great work.

Edited by Crayons

Really nice Chris, i'm just getting back to tanks too, again after quite some time, so your work is inspiring.

Take care,

Matt

very kind - thanks Matt

A very nice P IV there Chris. Although the Academy kits lack the fancy features of modern Dragon ones, it still looks like a Panzer IV :)

Armour painting guides are generally way behind those you'll find with aircraft kits.

As far as your colours go, the yellow is fine, but I'd lighten the brown & green a touch on any future builds.

Another small detail that can add a great deal is painting the wooden parts (tool handles, cleaning rods) in a light tan. Once dry, go over with some dark brown oil paint & keep brushing lengthwise until you're left with a streaky effect. It really gives a wooden look.

Cheers

Patrick

Thanks Patrick - I've used Olive Green on the Panther which seems a little lighter so far. Like the idea for the wooden tools etc so will give that a go. What colour do you use for the spade, axe etc?

chris

My two cents worth: I like it. The muted tones definitely work. My only critique, markings last about as long as a new unlocked Ferrari in the bad part of town. Some chipping and fading of those would really complete the model.

Great work.

Thanks and thats a good idea as regards the markings - what would you tone them down with?