where do I find Dash 8 Q400 props 1/72

I'm looking at making a Dash 8-400, known just as Q400s in 1/72. Biggest hang up is the six blade props. Are the blades the same as the E2D Hawkeye eight blade prop? if so, can I get just the props without buying a Hawkeye? I can't find info on the Hawkeye's eight blade prop diameter. If I have to, I will make them.

Edited by busnproplinerfan

North Wing Model Craft produce a 1/72 eight blade Hawkeye prop is that's any use. Here

I've ordered from them directly before without any hassle, pretty quick service too.

Update: its shows them out of stock but you may find stock elsewhere.

Cheers

Si

Edited by zipplex

Please forgive me as my mind is very rusty as I haven't flown them for a little while now, but if my memory is correct, they are 6 bladed composite Dowty props on the q4.

Chris

You might be able to rob the props from an Italeri C-27.

Just found another one. Shapeway's 3D printed Here

Si

North Wing Model Craft produce a 1/72 eight blade Hawkeye prop is that's any use. Here

I've ordered from them directly before without any hassle, pretty quick service too.

Update: its shows them out of stock but you may find stock elsewhere.

Cheers

Si

Thanks everyone.

-The C-27 looks good, but can you get just the props for one?

-North model doesn't have any like you said.

-They are Dowty props.

-might have to try the Shapeways ones.

• 2 months later...

I got a set of props from Shapeways, seem pretty nice. I ordered the white and polished version. Not as smooth as a kit parts but with some finishing should be good. The props are an eight blade so I have to make them a six blade and feather them, also note the six blade props feather as soon as the engine stops running. Just waiting on getting a Dash 8.

Edited by busnproplinerfan

How much is the fuselage stretch going from a -100 to a -400?

i don't know exactly. I have found some decent three view drawings of the -400 by searching images for the dash 8-400 3 view drawings. I plan on scaling the image to match the model, the image http://www.mlit.go.jp/kisha/kisha02/12/120927_3/120927_3.gif has the measurements.

• 2 weeks later...

I thought perhaps you could try ATR -600 props, but they are Hamilton Sundstrand and the blades are the wrong shape and size.

also note the six blade props feather as soon as the engine stops running.

All turboprops do this. The fuel shut-off is at the aft stop of the condition lever, which brings the props into feather before shutdown. Take a look at the console below from a Q300, the condition levers are to the right with 'Start Feather' the first detent:

Q300%20console_zpspb58qflg.jpg

I thought perhaps you could try ATR -600 props, but they are Hamilton Sundstrand and the blades are the wrong shape and size.

All turboprops do this. The fuel shut-off is at the aft stop of the condition lever, which brings the props into feather before shutdown. Take a look at the console below from a Q300, the condition levers are to the right with 'Start Feather' the first detent:

Thanks, looks like they could be used, did a quick look online and nothing in 1/72 unfortunately.

Yep, now just to get a Dash 8 kit, might need two, depends how much work it is lengthen it.

This might help https://www.flightglobal.com/pdfarchive/view/2001/2001%20-%203854.html

and this shows the changes https://www.flightglobal.com/pdfarchive/view/1998/1998%20-%202511.html

That last one supports my memory of seeing a srs100 and a Q400 side by side and thinking they were almost different aircraft. If you start a WIP thread pleas let me know as I'm tackling a 100 and that's plenty of challenge from the Hobbycraft kit, a Q400 would be great to see!

Huge thanks for the links, didn't see all the changes till now, now I have a good idea of all that needs to be done. It will be a project. The first big thing I noticed with the top plan view is the wing center section is a bit different.

The first big thing I noticed with the top plan view is the wing center section is a bit different.

and although it's not highlighted I'm pretty sure the fairing to the fuselage is bulkier - that was certainly my impression seeing them side by side. If only I'd thought to take some photos!

and although it's not highlighted I'm pretty sure the fairing to the fuselage is bulkier - that was certainly my impression seeing them side by side. If only I'd thought to take some photos!

Yes, that's one area I have to look at. the walk around link you sent should help. I know there are the wood carved ones available from the Philippines I think, but the are pricey, maybe when we get one built some company will make one.

You can see from the photos that compared to the -100 and Q300, the Q400 is very different; engine cowls, fuselage, empennage etc. It'll be simpler to wait until a proper Q400 kit comes out, rather than converting an earlier one. All the panel lines are different on cowls etc.

In terms of useage of the real aircraft; the 50 seater Q300 is your standard regional bird and compares with the ATR 72-500, even though the ATR has a larger number of seats (68 to 72). The Q300 has the same engines and is faster and has a quicker climb rate (not to mention easier and less costly to maintain, and although the ATR is cheaper to buy, the maintenance costs at heavy maintenance level outweigh this, also, you'll get greater mileage out of a Q300 than you will an ATR before you need to replace them). It's quieter inside as well since it has an active noise cancellation system, as does the Q400, hence the 'Q' for 'Quiet'.

The Q400 is designed not just to compete with the ATR-72, but with jets on longer haul regional legs. It's a lot faster and has a greater range than the ATR and is quite economical on long haul domestic routes compared to jets, although it is slower than these, but not by much. It is in a league of its own and there really is no other turbo prop equivalent.

You can see from the photos that compared to the -100 and Q300, the Q400 is very different; engine cowls, fuselage, empennage etc. It'll be simpler to wait until a proper Q400 kit comes out, rather than converting an earlier one. All the panel lines are different on cowls etc.

In terms of useage of the real aircraft; the 50 seater Q300 is your standard regional bird and compares with the ATR 72-500, even though the ATR has a larger number of seats (68 to 72). The Q300 has the same engines and is faster and has a quicker climb rate (not to mention easier and less costly to maintain, and although the ATR is cheaper to buy, the maintenance costs at heavy maintenance level outweigh this, also, you'll get greater mileage out of a Q300 than you will an ATR before you need to replace them). It's quieter inside as well since it has an active noise cancellation system, as does the Q400, hence the 'Q' for 'Quiet'.

The Q400 is designed not just to compete with the ATR-72, but with jets on longer haul regional legs. It's a lot faster and has a greater range than the ATR and is quite economical on long haul domestic routes compared to jets, although it is slower than these, but not by much. It is in a league of its own and there really is no other turbo prop equivalent.

Good point about waiting for a proper kit. I'll likely try converting it(knowing me and I'm a gluten for punishment) and get it as close as I can even if it's not 100%. By the time I get on this, there might be a kit out, actually hope it does go that way. Interesting comparison on the ATR, they must have real good sales people. I've rode on a few -400s and they are quite nice. Never been on any other turboprop so I can compare it to others.

Modern free-turbine type turboprops are this way - those with Alpha and Beta phase engine and prop controls. Earlier designs such as the Rolls Royce Dart (Fokker F27, Hs748, Vickers Viscount), most Russian turboprops, Allison T56 in the C130A-H and Lockheed Electra / P3 Orion etc do not - they are started and stopped at fully fine pitch.

The main purpose of Alpha/Beta controls as per the Dash-8 is that the primary functions are on one set of levers for the flight crew's convenience. The pilot's hand is on the power levers on short finals and on touch-down he pulls the same levers back to select reverse pitch and max torque for that condition, then return to flight idle without changing levers - as though he/she were flying a jet. The condition levers are for start-up, shutdown and changing propeller RPM in the climb, cruise or descent where things are calmer than take-off or landing :)

• Like 1

Earlier designs such as the Rolls Royce Dart (Fokker F27, Hs748, Vickers Viscount), most Russian turboprops, Allison T56 in the C130A-H and Lockheed Electra / P3 Orion etc do not - they are started and stopped at fully fine pitch.

Oops, I forgot about the dinosaurs! Cheers James. Turboprops are my source of income at the moment, but I forgot there was once a world without PT-6s and PW100s.

Interesting comparison on the ATR, they must have real good sales people.

No, they're just cheap, Busnprop.... They run on the smell of an oily rag, but in aviation there is always a compromise - ATRs are made of tin foil, so they crack and corrode like there's no tomorrow. Any expense saved on purchase price and day to day operating is made up for in maintenance and spares supply. They are worthless second hand as well, whereas the Dash 8 is gold and fetches very high prices on the second hand market - they are built really well and don't suffer corrosion like ATRs. ATRs are throwaway aircraft for a throwaway generation, sadly.

Oops, I forgot about the dinosaurs! Cheers James. Turboprops are my source of income at the moment, but I forgot there was once a world without PT-6s and PW100s.

I love de Havillands :D I don't really have access to real aeroplanes so much any more, but it wasn't always that way.

d-8broken.jpg

I'm confident I could still start a Dash-7 up provided it had charged batteries!#

I just remembered the Garretts too which are also in dinosaur category (but they're intended to be operated like a jet for training purposes) when flicking through my Photobucket album of old stuff. This flight would have been 1999 maybe?

Tucano2.jpg

Oh and this isn't relevant at all but it's there on the same page - dangling from the winch wire of the Shetland Coast Guard's S-61N whilst being placed on a fishing boat for a Canadian film crew.

jamie_1.jpg

The PT-6s may be dinosaurs but still earn their keep, see them(well hear them) quite often over Winnipeg.I just got a Dash-8 kit. I could have had two, but the guy wanted to keep the second one because it was still sealed. The biggest hangup so far will be lengthening the fuselage. I measured it and the fuse is 2.6 mm wider than the height. I thought it was circular. Thinking I might have to make a buck and try vac forming a section, then cutting it to fit what's needed. If that works, it could be used for any series. Strangely, the kit's spoked main wheels are very close to correct for an early F-8 in 1/48.