A pair of Bravos, P-3s that is

Been tinkering on these for a little while now. The TAP-3B is a resurrected shelf of doom RP-3D I was not happy with. So off came the gear, out came the nose weight and onto a pole it went. I will be using some Aussie Decals for this one. Still at the early paint stage, need to break up the all over grey with some faded panels and weathering.

72_TAP-3B_292SQN_04_zps2w8ng6ly.jpg

72_TAP-3B_292SQN_03_zpsk7ugnt7n.jpg

72_TAP-3B_292SQN_07_zps05oaed4n.jpg

72_TAP-3B_292SQN_09_zpsspz9ftfw.jpg

72_TAP-3B_292SQN_12_zpseib8isrh.jpg

The P-3B is a new build with Hamilton Hobbies (local Aussie producer) P-3B conversion and weapons bay sets. I will be using the DEKLs P-3B decals on this one. Also more painting to go, this one will be a lot cleaner than the TAP-3B

72_P-3B_11SQN_07_zpsrtjzvlsa.jpg

72_P-3B_11SQN_18_zpshob2pa0b.jpg

72_P-3B_11SQN_20_zpsk7fzhqwf.jpg

72_P-3B_11SQN_29_zps1hrkfxvl.jpg

72_P-3B_11SQN_32_zpsonmjbbm0.jpg

72_P-3B_11SQN_34_zpskixn7uwo.jpg

72_P-3B_11SQN_35_zpspsbmufqj.jpg

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Finally got motivated to start decalling after a lot of paint rework.

I am using the DekLs sheet ( local Aussie producer). He uses a reverse printing technique on continuous film. Colours looks good once applied.

I started by laying down the whites

72_P-3B_11SQN_252_zpsj6ljdaxm.jpg

I used 2 white disks for the fuselage roundel position as it went over the grey and white (the sheet gives you extras).

72_P-3B_11SQN_254_zpsd4taxxev.jpg

72_P-3B_11SQN_255_zpsujmfoakb.jpg

Then I added the roundels and flashes. I managed to damage some of the decals when cutting them out and trimming them. Not sure how I could have prevented this. Will have to ask Mr DekL next time I chat with him.

72_P-3B_11SQN_256_zpsqdmgr0n8.jpg

72_P-3B_11SQN_257_zpswggwpflv.jpg

72_P-3B_11SQN_258_zps7nkh13jo.jpg

Overall, the decals look pretty good at this stage.

Will continue tonight

• Like 3

Hi Ray, loving the P-3's but one question, are they the right props you have on in the earlier picture? I thought P-3's had the square cut Aeroproducts(?) props not the round tip Ham Standards.

Probably wrong as it's a long time since I had dealings with Allison 501's.

Can't wait to see the finished article.

Dave

• Like 1

Hi Ray, loving the P-3's but one question, are they the right props you have on in the earlier picture? I thought P-3's had the square cut Aeroproducts(?) props not the round tip Ham Standards.

Probably wrong as it's a long time since I had dealings with Allison 501's.

Can't wait to see the finished article.

Dave

Thanks Dave,

Definitely round tips on the P-3s. Lockheed Electras had square tips

Link to the aircraft I am trying to model

Yeah, you're right Ray, my time was on Electras and we only had one 'frame with round tips, an ex KLM machine, G-FIZU on the UK register. The props were a customer option and KLM were one of the only ones to go that way, wonder why the military a/c all have rounded tips? Better low altitude performance?

I seem to remember that ZU was reputed to have a better take off performance.......

• Like 1

Dave, ask and you will find out...

Found this on another forum. Its all about prop tip speed and efficiency

The problem with fast, fairly high flying turbo-props with large propeller radii is that the propeller tips will be the first part of the aircraft to reach the speed of sound, with resultant significant loss of thrust for the power delivered to the propeller.

Compare the L188 Electra which was developed into the P-3. The L188 was optimised to fly fast (about TAS 330 Knots) and reasonably high (F/L 250). The L188 had square propeller tips, with a slightly broader blade than the P-3, i.e. the same propeller area to absorb the power. Some loss of aerodynamic efficiency was acceptable to avert the much greater loss of efficiency in having the propeller tips reach Mach 1.0 at fast and high cruise.

The P-3 on the other hand was optimised to spend most of it's mission time at low level, where sonic propeller tips are not a problem, and the higher aspect ratio rounded tip propellers provided the optimum efficiency. It still left the P-3 with a 'respectable' high speed / high altitude transit capability, but not in the same league as it's 'parent' L188. (This loss of high speed capability may have been compensated for in the increased power (by about 500 HP per engine) on the Allison variant fitted to the P-3).

Clean, crisp work as always, Ray. You choose some pretty tricky schemes as well.

Thanks Greg,, I like my different schemes, can't have a boring all grey display case :D

Yeah, you're right Ray, my time was on Electras and we only had one 'frame with round tips, an ex KLM machine, G-FIZU on the UK register. The props were a customer option and KLM were one of the only ones to go that way, wonder why the military a/c all have rounded tips? Better low altitude performance?
I seem to remember that ZU was reputed to have a better take off performance.......

The Electra is a nice aircraft, I have a conversion in 1/72, but wish I had more. There are so many nice schemes out there including the Atlantic Airlines ones.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...