Dornier Do17z - Airfix 1/72 New Tool

Good luck with this! I bought the dogfight double and immediately stuck it at the back of the stash because it was so complicated. I don't mind scratching my own interiors, in fact I enjoy it, but trying to fettle slightly-less-than-perfectly-fitting-and-slightly-too-thick parts together for the same purpose feels like a bit of a chore for me. But I will gladly watch you wrestle with it...

Regards,

Adrian

• Like 3

Thanks Alex and SJLR.

Welcome Benedikt and Adrian, glad to have you along.

I've been fiddling with the internals to get them ready for painting. I'm following Stew's technique of 'assemble as much as you can before painting' so that the joins are clean and there's no additional fit problems caused by the paint.

And fiddly it is. Some things to watch out for... This part (C11) has four sprue gates but two on the left are cartridges - don't cut them off!

27266251640_e6424f43b5.jpg

Untitled by Ced Bufton, on Flickr

Steps 5 and 6 would have you assemble these bits but I'm not going to risk it until I can dry-fit them in the fuselage so they'll be painted first:

27543053065_8802689038.jpg

It'll be easier to detail them separately too. I'll also leave out the pilot's frame until it's painted. By the way, that wheel (for the bay doors?) fits well IF you have it in the right place, otherwise it wobbles. A lot.

Step 11 required some clamping in my kit - the back part should be flush with the fuselage and mine was bent:

26934473544_bb822248a2.jpg

Fitting the seats is fiddly too. Like the pilot's seat I don't think it's possible to assemble them like the drawing so I used the seat squab to line up with the top of the back fuselage (if you see what I mean):

27267378100_d50dd5eb42.jpg

I finally got everything ready for the RLM02 and then realised I also need to prepare the bombs, bomb racks and other stuff in the bomb bay so I lost motivation. This lot is ready though so some progress:

26936369424_c33663f97e.jpg

Thanks for looking, more tomorrow (I hope)

• Like 9

Thanks guys and welcome Radleigh and John, nice to have you aboard.

Nothing else done tonight but I thought I'd take some more shots after Keith's comments - the seats are a bit, er, iffy.

Here's the diagram in the instructions and the closest I could get:

26939194734_b21c34f956_n.jpg 27476602581_ddf0d21036_n.jpg

The rear seat isn't too bad but the front one wouldn't perch for me as per the diagram - it fouls at the top. Positioning is not helped by the weird shape of the fuselage but I'm happy with this on dry fit (until I find the crew won't fit...)

27272057700_149fab01e1_z.jpg

• Like 10

At least I didn't have to worry about the crew fitting! I'm pretty sure I took a chunk off the top left of the backrest & it still ended up wonky (I say pretty sure as I'm too lazy to go & dig the thing out to look!)

You look to have got it much better positioned Ced!

Keith

• Like 1

Nice progress.

I also found the front bomb aimers seat to be a bit fragile and managed to break it off when trying to force it's occupant into place next to the pilot.

I ended up with him at an angle and decided he was saying something to the pilot :D

That's in my Castle Farm Dornier build.

I also improved the close fit of parts by removing that very fine mould seam on their edges.

Hope this helps :)

I'm gonna be following this one :popcorn:

Edited by Phil Lewis
  • Like 1

Good progress Ced, keep it up chap, it does all have a high FQR* but once it is all fitted together it does give a very good idea of the claustrophobic qualities of the cockpit and it looks really... well sort of real :)

Take your time and make sure you know where you are fitting each part before you attempt to fit it and you shouldn't go too far astray. The two areas I had the most annoying problems with were the panels aft of the exhausts and the little skylight windows in the bomb-bay roof; I would be better prepared for these areas next time but it might be something you have to experience for yourself :lol:

Cheers,

Stew

* Faff Quotient Ratio, the scale by which the amount of faff in any given kit assembly sequence is measured (as eny fule kno)

• Like 6

At least I didn't have to worry about the crew fitting! I'm pretty sure I took a chunk off the top left of the backrest & it still ended up wonky (I say pretty sure as I'm too lazy to go & dig the thing out to look!)

You look to have got it much better positioned Ced!

Keith

Thanks Keith - not the easiest of parts to fit.

Nice progress.

I also found the front bomb aimers seat to be a bit fragile and managed to break it off when trying to force it's occupant into place next to the pilot.

I ended up with him at an angle and decided he was saying something to the pilot :D

That's in my Castle Farm Dornier build.

I also improved the close fit of parts by removing that very fine mould seam on their edges.

Hope this helps :)

I'm gonna be following this one :popcorn:

Thanks Phil and welcome.

Good tip on the 'chatty crew' - I don't know how I missed this one; I love your interiors and I'll certainly have a go at the pre-shading (if I remember!)

The very fine mold line on the Airfix new tools is a pain and needs to be watched out for as you say. I use the Citadel 'mouldline remover' to make short work of them. Great tool.

Well I have this in the stash, but it's German so it's a long way down the queue. No harm watching a maestro build it in the meantime though ;)

Thanks Jon - you're too kind... no, really, I'm not sure I can live up to that! Glad to have you along :)

Assembly looking good. Great detail in a relatively small scale! I want one! Hmmm...

Thanks Alex - fiddly! :)

Good progress Ced, keep it up chap, it does all have a high FQR* but once it is all fitted together it does give a very good idea of the claustrophobic qualities of the cockpit and it looks really... well sort of real :)

Take your time and make sure you know where you are fitting each part before you attempt to fit it and you shouldn't go too far astray. The two areas I had the most annoying problems with were the panels aft of the exhausts and the little skylight windows in the bomb-bay roof; I would be better prepared for these areas next time but it might be something you have to experience for yourself :lol:

Cheers,

Stew

* Faff Quotient Ratio, the scale by which the amount of faff in any given kit assembly sequence is measured (as eny fule kno)

Thanks Stew. I'm reading your build as a reference (with Jaime's and now Phil's) but I'd stopped reading it (again) when you started the Defiant. Silly of me. I've now made (more) notes on the instructions regarding the bombs and those windows. I'll also dither about the engine / cowl fit suggestions but probably try my 'temporary cowl fit and spray' lazy technique. Probably. I'll fit and sand the windows as suggested, although I've already stuck the masks on - rats!

Thanks for the tips :)

Aha! found you, and only two pages in. There's certainly a lot of ' stuff ' in the cockpit for 1/72 scale.

Cheers

John

Hi John and welcome, good to have you aboard!

Finally got some paint on...

27285628240_d36994ac08_z.jpg

RLM02 by Ced Bufton, on Flickr

Mrs B is dragging me to some 'chick flick' later ('Love & Friendship' - at least it's Kate Beckinsale) and then over to the local for a beer with the boys.

See you tomorrow!

• Like 11

Paint finish looking good Ced! I'm not completely sure, but thought the instrument panel was black.

Cheers

Jaime

• Like 1

Thanks Jaime - you are, of course, correct. I think I've just sprayed the back and the decal i/p will cover the front with a bit of touching up.

No PE for me and I keep admiring the detail on yours... I must resist!

• Like 2

Whenever I see one of these Dorniers being built or ready for inspection I'm inspired to get one.

But I've been struggling a bit with the Blenheim and Bf 109E that are on the stocks at the moment.

I just love these new Airfix kits, but I'm thinking I might need a short break from the constant application of 'good old modelling skills' for a while and tackle something with a slightly lower FQR (love that..)

Going to follow this build closely though.

• Like 1

Thanks Duncan, helpful.

Thanks Ian and welcome. I'm enjoying the faff at the moment (although that seat wobbled and has now had a couple of drops of Contacta applied) but we'll see if it gets better (hopefully).

Internals addressed this afternoon.

27510586101_bc175ceb27_z.jpg

Out for dinner at friends this evening and I suspect I will be 'fragile' tomorrow...

• Like 17

insides looking good, thats where mine begain to go wrong, ordered some new RLM02 for it but decided to use up my humbrol pot on it and was a bit too liberal applying it made a tight fit even harder when it came to adding the seats and crew, and indeed the underside window

• Like 2