Folland 43/37 "Frightful"?

Found this rarity while browsing ebay.de for images of Yakovlevs and Polikarpovs:

Folland_Frightful.jpg

On Wikipedia:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Folland_Fo.108

Apparently it was designed to an Air Ministry Operational Requirement for an engine testbed. I say we bombard Airfix with demands for a new kit, preferably in 1/24 scale... :whistle:

John

I like it! No wonder they called it the 'Frightener', that must have been quite a beast with a Centaurus or Griffon fitted!

Well that's right! It could be marketed in different boxings, each with a different engine. It would be a goldmine, I tell you!

John

Errrr... Yes. Guilty as charged guv'nor! :banghead::boom::owww:

(It was not a pleasant build.)

Edited by wyverns4

• 1 month later...

The designer was Folland himself, and if you don't know the name you will have heard of his SE 5 and Gloster's string of successful biplane fighters. It's an entirely conventional monoplane of the period, it just looks odd because it has a stalky undercarriage to ensure clearance of the expected very large propellers, and has a large fuselage for the flight observer monitoring the engine instrumentation. Folland had left Gloster after the Hawker Siddeley takeover, not wanting to be second-fiddle to Camm, and established his own company. It's quite possible that he got the contract as Ministry assistance to small companies with good ideas, much as James Martin was given money (and precious engines!) to support the Martin Baker line.

• Like 1