Typhoon Rolling into the Attack: D-Day Build

Italeri rebox of the 1/48 Hasegawa Typhoon. Replaced the exhausts with resin...and used a replacement 4-bladed resin prop hub with PropBlur, other than that the rest of the kit is OOB (well the pilot donated himself from the spare box). Questions...ask away.

Cheers
Collin

DSCN7172.jpg
DSCN7178.jpg
DSCN7192.jpg
DSCN7186.jpg
DSCN7198.jpg
DSCN7197.jpg
DSCN7174.jpg
DSCN7183.jpg
DSCN7227.jpg

• Like 50

wow - that is a very nice build and a cool way to present it. Like the "action" in it. What did you use for the weathering? Looks very convincing.

Cheers,

Michael

wow - that is a very nice build and a cool way to present it. Like the "action" in it. What did you use for the weathering? Looks very convincing.

Cheers,

Michael

1. Paint the base colors and invasion stripes (I lightly sanded back the leading edge of the painted wings)

2. Two to three mist coast of Future with a final mist coat of Windex to super smooth everything out

3. Decal and setting fluids

4. Semi-flat coat (acrylic)

5. Light colored panel line wash (I don't like dark washes)

6. Light mist of semi-flat acrylic

7. AK neutral filter and Earth filter airbrushed on in the "used" areas of the aircraft to show some wear and tear. I figured with ground crews rearming on top of the wing...that's where the dirt should be

8. Very very light mist of semi-flat acrylic

9. Colored pencils to show wear and tear around the gun service areas/wing root areas, engine areas

10. Final light mist of semi-flat or flat depending on the area of the aircraft

11. Some oil streaks using the Mig products (I leave those semi-gloss as applied)

10. Have a beer.

• Like 4

No questions! just praise. Really nice, and propblur looks very effective. Pilot also very convincing, just right.

Take care,

Matt

Nice job, how did you bend your clear rod?

Very carefully over the flame of a gas stove. Just like stretching sprue into stringy hair...you have to be really careful and slow with the clear rods. Just brush it by the heat of the flame and keep it rolling...and when it feels right, bend it to the position you want. I do it in the kitchen and have the sink faucet running on cold, so I place the rod in there right away to set it.

If you get it too hot, bubbles will form in your clear rod and ruin it...ask me how I know.

Cheers

Collin

• Like 1

This is awesome! I like these action settings.

One minor nit-picking remark: the invasion stripes were not earlier than June 4 painted on the aircraft, so if this is an representation of D-day itself, the stripes should be fresh painted.

But than again, it wouldn't be so nicely weathered as you did. Just tell everyone it represents the fierce battle after the invasion :thumbsup: