1/144 East African Super VC10

Jambo !

Just arrived from Nairobi this afternoon

DsmG23l.jpg

It's Roden's Super VC-10 but I didn't want to risk using the kit's decals, so I used Classic Airlines decals (CA144-385) instead.

(I'm embarrassed to say that it's the first time I've actually tried Nick's decals, but sure won't be the last !)

Standard 4 x 4 walkaround :

heEYLL7.jpg

UonKIjJ.jpg

TFcMJnO.jpg

Z21LSZn.jpg

and here it is with a neighbour from Ethiopia

AMldZI1.jpg

Thanks for taking the time to have a look.

Time to head back to Africa for my next build.

3tfPoQX.jpg

Regards

mike

• Like 38

Snap - I am building this as we speak, I got the 26Decals though - before I saw Classic-Airlines one. Love Nicks' work!

Beautiful work Mike, ( especially all that pitot tube action - nice details from Roden ), and not to try and hijack the tread - the build I finished this morning.

EAA_zpst774mgkf.jpg

Cheers,

Mike

• Like 8

Stunned silence.

That looks absolutely beautiful Mike, I really like the 'sit' of it, spot on with that slightly nose down look. I've not got hold of mine yet, but it looks like Roden have produced a top notch VC-10 there. As indeed have you, turning it into this beauty. Wow.

(Nice Comet too MikeW !).

Cheers

John

• Like 1

Just gorgeous! Beautiful kit isn't it, Mike. Nice to see you added the extra wing fences. Can't understand why they were left off in the first place. Good job you used those Classic airliner's decals I think they fit better around the tail area.

Looking forward to seeing more VC10s here soon.

Cheers,

Ian

• Like 1

Mike

That really is a wonderful '10' and the EAA markings are very eye catching. I too have the Roden supers in the stash and am tempted to start one after seeing yours.

Thanks for sharing.

Mark

• Like 1

Great job,great colours,nicely polished intake nose caps,really well done

I agree with Viking....Roden have produced a good kit

Nice VC10,the last one of 54 built. The last VC10 I flew on on air test. The one on Top Gear ZA150 K3

I stood next to this in the Cathedral Hangar,Weybridge all shiney new, a couple of days before its first flight Feb 1970

The two Pitot tubes either side of the c/pit are polished Aluminium and those are bit big but in 144th (real ones are less than 1 inch diameter ) it would be hard for Roden to make them.The Beaver tails are unpainted Titanium.

Well done and thanks for showing :thumbsup:

Edited by bzn20
  • Like 2

Jambo Mikey!!

Brilliant looking Super. Glad you got one knocked out so quickly. I told Steve to check it out. I'm hoping this is a sign of more good airliners to come from Roden. Wonder if they'll go back and make a "Standard". I'd dive head first into mne right now, were i not trying to get this F4U-2 project done for a 95-year old vet, before he expires.

Thanks very much for posting! Great job.

david

• Like 1

Well Viking and bzn20 have pretty much said what I was thinking so no point in repeating it here except to add my congratulations on a great looking build.

Thanks for posting as well Mike.

Chris.

• Like 1

Standard 4 x 4 walkaround :

I thought it was a Super.... :tease:

Another absolute beauty Mike, just gorgeous! I hope I didn't miss seeing it when I went AWOL last Wednesday.....

Top job, again!

Keith

• Like 1

Superb work on this elegant classic. :wow::mike:

I really like the East African livery.My VC-10 is awaiting its turn for the bench... :winkgrin: ...but its currently packed with Hasegawa 747's,MD-11,777,767 and a Plasticart DC-8 :frantic:

• Like 1

I keep coming back to this ( and yes, drooling ). The item of your builds that always sticks out as so magnificently done ( er, not to say that all parts aren't great ) are the engine intake metal rims. They are always just so shiny / gleamy and perfectly straight edged. You use alclad, yes?

I am looking at mine with increasing discontent - a jar of Testors silver, old brush, and holding my breath while doing freehand circles. Mike, you are making me look at ways to improve!

• Like 2

We had to polish those Nose Caps for Royal/VVIP/VIP flights. The counter sunk bolts that hold them on are something I've never seen before,the thread starts then stops then a plain shank then starts again. If the bolt starts undoing inflight it gets to the plain portion and cant restart the final threads,trapped in the hole and not down the engine, so simple its brilliant.

• Like 3