Bomber Command Twins Twin Build! Valom Hampden & Airfix Whitley

On 23/10/2016 at 1:04 AM, stringbag said:

Looking superb as usual Neil. Always impressed by your application of the dark earth and dark green cammo and subsequent weathering. This wip is certainly no different.

Ditto,

I may be well and truly late in picking up that there was a Woody build (or even two) on the go.  But at least I'm on board in time to see the camo and weathering........:)

• Like 1

On 26/10/2016 at 4:41 PM, Fishbed said:

Well on the basis of this thread, instead of finishing off the T4/5 lightnings; Spitfire XII; a coupe of Churchill's and numerous other projects that have vanished off into the cupboard that that should never be opened, I now find myself fettling the Valom Hampden to go with the Whitley I finished earlier in the year.  Not going to the detail you have for the interior, but will add the plates on the tail and may be the cooling fins.  Did pick up the Valom Harrow last night, and that looks rather nice, so that is taunting me to start it too!

Tim (who will finish something one day)

I want to grab a Harrow kit, do let us know how the kit looks :)

17 hours ago, Radleigh said:

Splendid work Neil, I must try dig out that kit too (forgot the name! but yours smashed?) for Telford.. Edit - Heyford!

That be the Heyford, I need to replace that for the shows. I suspect the real thing only flew marginally better than mine did at Huddersfield!

cheers

neil 

Beautiful work. The Whitley looks terrific but I am so looking forward to seeing the finished Hampden Neil. I might even be able make Telford this year after an absence of nine years so I hope they make the show.

Regards

Jim

• Like 1

I just caught up with this Neil. Very nice work indeed on both models.

I think AZ Models are to release the Hampden (very soon) with entirely new injection mounded transparencies. I am not sure if they will have changed anything else.

:goodjob: 

Best regards

TonyT

• Like 1

On ‎10‎/‎28‎/‎2016 at 0:32 AM, TonyTiger66 said:

I just caught up with this Neil. Very nice work indeed on both models.

I think AZ Models are to release the Hampden (very soon) with entirely new injection mounded transparencies. I am not sure if they will have changed anything else.

:goodjob: 

Best regards

TonyT

Thanks Tony :) Whilst the undercarriage is a bit of a pig, the transparancies are the only real let down, so quite looking forwards to seeing what they do.

Had a bit of a setback yesterday, the airbrush has died. Still pumping away but no leaks and not getting up to pressure, so ordered a new one. I'm part way through the matt varnishing and still some smaller parts to spray yet.

Here's where they are both up to, the Hampden has already had some matt varnish applied (Alclad flat) and weathering started. I've moved to Flickr, what a pleasure compared to Photobucket :)

30006415854_99520943d5_b_d.jpg

30550204681_448f6faa16_b_d.jpg

30006415714_798089f849_b_d.jpg

30550204521_5863051fe6_b_d.jpg

30601862736_e66ee9ac43_b_d.jpg

30601862706_75d99c535e_b_d.jpg

Cheers

Neil

• Like 10

They look great Neil :thumbsup2: .

I had erred away from Flickr, but it seems almost like a see-saw.

Just as PhotoBucket seem to have really plunged into the, er,  bucket, Flickr has become very user friendly. Even the iPhone app is good (shock horror).

Thanks for the heads up on the Hampen undercarriage. That's ok. You've done well to deal with the original transparencies. Some (paid) online reviewers/builders ended up with pictures not showing the nose in photographs  :o :D.

ATB

TonyT

• Like 1

On 10/27/2016 at 5:11 PM, woody37 said:

I want to grab a Harrow kit, do let us know how the kit looks :)

It actually looks rather good.  not many bits in the box, but it was a fairly simple aircraft.  Its larger than I had expected too!  I've done a bit of dry-fitting and it all appears good.  no problems with the clear bits like the Hampden!  There is not much of an attachment point for the tail fins or the undercarriage so I will pin these with some tubing.  A coupe of photos to illustrate if you don't mind a bit of a thread hijacking -

IMG_0205_zpsjd5uodyv.jpg

IMG_0206_zpsb8q2yjy2.jpg

IMG_0208_zpsetora3hf.jpg

IMG_0207_zps4nc3oti7.jpg

IMG_0210_zpsyovhlyn8.jpg

• Like 4

Funny enough, mind turned up today. Great news about the dry fitting and clear parts. I had the same thought about using brass rod to make a stronger join on those undercarriage joints. Your Hampden is coming on nicely too :)

got the new compressor yesterday, an AS-186 and it's a little gem. Unfortunately, I'm still getting a splatter from the airbrush, so suspect the nozzle or needle or both are worn. I managed to get the Matt varnish down with the cheap airbrush that came with the compressor. Now got the masks off the Hampden, but those black vinyl ones I used on the Whitley are a nightmare, I won't be using them again. They are very difficult to remove and leave a lot of glue deposit, so removing them all is going to be a slow job. I'm using one if those glue applicator sticks soaked in thinners to remove the glue. Hope to get some piccies done later :)

Well, if you are thinking of buying some of the P Masks because they are cheaper, I would strongly advise against them based on this experience. Getting them off is a nightmare, I may have to remask and repaint by the time I've managed to scrape them off...

Edit....I've given up on the canopy and split it in half trying to remove it. Has anyone got a spare canopy from a build where they've used the version with a blister on top?

30623437242_0bd23f1e18_b_d.jpg

30104709753_70e8eeb35a_b_d.jpg

30439690550_e5839df932_b_d.jpg

There's some tidying up of the frames around the glazing on the Hampden, but the masks were done by hand from Tamiya normal and stretch tape, a much better experience...

30439690480_d566800b86_b_d.jpg

30439690330_7c70fa33d0_b_d.jpg

30439690170_c0dfa17116_b_d.jpg

• Like 10

Ouch! Bad luck Woody - I must admit I've had similar problems and now stick to Eduard masks or DIY with Tamiya.

Have you tried a gentle clean up with IPA on a pointy (Tamiya) cotton bud? It's worked for me in the past.

• Like 1

Cheers guys.

Ced, I couldn't even get some of the masks off in one piece. The vinyl was stuck down so hard, it torn trying to remove it. Also, I was scratching the glass trying to get under the vinyl to lift an edge. A cocktail stick wasn't string enough so had to use a blade.

lesson learned. I was hoping to get these finished for Telford, but think they're gonna get boxed up for now until I can sort it out. I'm wanting to get the new release with civvy and maritime options. If they have both canopy options, I can use the one from that set.

cheers

Oh dear... sorry to hear that Woody. Not to put any pressure on but, if you get hold of another kit quickly, you still have a week... it would be good to see them in the flesh :)

"Well, if you are thinking of buying some of the P Masks because they are cheaper, I would strongly advise against them based on this experience. Getting them off is a nightmare, I may have to remask and repaint by the time I've managed to scrape them off...

Edit....I've given up on the canopy and split it in half trying to remove it. Has anyone got a spare canopy from a build where they've used the version with a blister on top?"

I have a spare.  If you still need it PM me.

Tim

• Like 1

'Ouch' to that masking experience - some things you just can't completely control but I've no doubt you'll get it sorted.

In better news the weathering on that Hampden is looking signature-like typically bl**dy brilliant Neil.......

2 hours ago, woody37 said:

The vinyl was stuck down so hard, it torn trying to remove it.

Ouch! Sorry to see this marring your excellent work Woody. Sending some positive vibes your way.:thumbsup2:

Tony