Tamiya 1: 35 Brachiosaurus Diorama set

Please put a hand in the next photo for us, for a scale, I can't think how big a 1/35 dinosaur should be. Bigger than my Crawler.

I'm with Sarg. Run away!

• Like 2

Please put a hand in the next photo for us, for a scale, I can't think how big a 1/35 dinosaur should be. Bigger than my Crawler.

I'm with Sarg. Run away!

Sorry, didn't read this before Mr P took the photos, but "Ellen" is 2 inches, if that helps at all?

Great progress on the legs and body, Mrs P! It's shaping up very well. You'll sort those joins with no problems by now :)

Cheers

Jaime

Thanks Jaime, I've been filing all day and I'm going to be filling next weekend, today I really just wanted to get her further...

Right, progress today:

I couldn't resist putting the neck on...

27884232196_bec4d3cf4d_c.jpg
This posed quite a challenge for Mr P. to photograph! Okay, I know she should have had her joins filled before this - but I really wanted to see just how big she really is... "Ellen DeGeneres" is 2 inches tall.
27884269196_df289c1eca_c.jpg
I think she'll be easier to fill now she's together (naive or what!) :rolleyes:
BTW She's a veggie - so unless you're a cabbage you would be reasonably safe! :innocent:Though her eyes are so tiny she would probably step on you without noticing... :winkgrin::wicked::hmmm:
Edited by Mrs PlaStix
  • Like 6

Hi Mrs P,

Looks impressive! I didn't realize how big it was until I saw it on the TV.

Cheers

Jaime

Hi Jaime, just had a quick giggle when you wrote: "until I saw it on the TV"... she was getting her 15 seconds of fame! I hasten to add that we do possess a slightly newer TV - I was gifted the very old one for the kitchen... and it does have it's uses. She needs somewhere new to stay now as she's too big for her box.

• Like 1

That is indeed an impressive model.....Reckon it might be worth starting to plan her 'camo-scheme' out sooner rather than later. :coolio:

I reckon you and Mr.P really should consider treating each other to an airbrush & compressor setup, you are clearly both very artistic and obviously both enjoy modelling.....You can enjoy the fumes together! :wub::hypnotised::wub:

PS - Had a rootle around in some old folders and found the T-Rex I painted for Louis a few years back: http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235004738-tyrannosaurus-rex/

• Like 1

That is indeed an impressive model.....Reckon it might be worth starting to plan her 'camo-scheme' out sooner rather than later. :coolio:

I reckon you and Mr.P really should consider treating each other to an airbrush & compressor setup, you are clearly both very artistic and obviously both enjoy modelling.....You can enjoy the fumes together! :wub::hypnotised:

Shame on you for using the 'a' word, we're not competent enough with technology to risk anything other than brushes - I did consider a dremel, but as it was pointed out by Mr P if your hand slips when filing it's fixable, with a machine you're bu****ed. The same goes for airbrushes and even cans.

I got a good 'fix' of glue putting her neck on this morning. :wub:

But thanks for the lovely comment :blush:

A Dremel (or preferably something a bit more handy like the KaVo dental tool I'm used to) is next on my list.....However, back to the subject, do you use hairspray, deodorant or air-freshener? If so you can use an airbrush, simples, end of. :mellow:

Give it some thought. :coolio:

PS - If either of you are ever wandering through Worcester you are welcome to drop in and have a play with my setup. I suspect once you sit down and seriously try it you will enjoy it so much and be so impressed by the results that you will wonder why you didn't do it sooner.....That's exactly how I wound up with a compressor and four airbrushes. :winkgrin:

• Like 1

There are dogs (real dogs! ) that are actually much smaller than this Brachiosaurus model! :frantic:

Impressively big :gobsmacked: Now you do need to lubricate your elbow before you start painting her ... :D

Ciao

• Like 1

A Dremel (or preferably something a bit more handy like the KaVo dental tool I'm used to) is next on my list.....However, back to the subject, do you use hairspray, deodorant or air-freshener? If so you can use an airbrush, simples, end of. :mellow:Sorry, roll ons and fresh air only!

Give it some thought. :coolio:Okay!!!

PS - If either of you are ever wandering through Worcester you are welcome to drop in and have a play with my setup. I suspect once you sit down and seriously try it you will enjoy it so much and be so impressed by the results that you will wonder why you didn't do it sooner.....That's exactly how I wound up with a compressor and four airbrushes. :winkgrin:Thanks for the offer Sarge! Not been to Worcester for many,many years.

There are dogs (real dogs! ) that are actually much smaller than this Brachiosaurus model! :frantic:

Impressively big :gobsmacked: Now you do need to lubricate your elbow before you start painting her ... :D

Ciao

Hi giemme, Thanks, it will take a lot of elbow grease to get her sorted, but I'm still not tempted to use a can or airbrush, the fun's in the painting! and I've got to start thinking, as Sarge says, to come up with her colour scheme...

• Like 1

Half of me thinks she scarcely needs any camo.....It would be a bit pointless all things considered! :winkgrin:

On the other hand, Giraffes have a very nice scheme indeed and they are the closest fit to the 'niche' that I can think of. :shrug:

If I were going the latter route, I'd definitely want an airbrush. :whistle:

• Like 1

Half of me thinks she scarcely needs any camo.....It would be a bit pointless all things considered! :winkgrin:

On the other hand, Giraffes have a very nice scheme indeed and they are the closest fit to the 'niche' that I can think of. :shrug:

If I were going the latter route, I'd definitely want an airbrush. :whistle:

Actually the "brachiosaur like" sauropod found in Tanzania was referred to as a 'Giraffatitan' - much as I hate Wikipedia:

Giraffatitan, meaning "giant giraffe", is a genus of sauropod dinosaur that lived during the late Jurassic Period (Kimmeridgian-Tithonian stages). It was originally named as an African species of Brachiosaurus (B. brancai). Giraffatitan is one of the largest animals known to have walked the earth.

- if that is total rubbish I'm sure Christian will advise!!!

So your suggestion is totally valid, I think the baby will have camo as it's more vulnerable, Mummy will be more subtle...

Mrs P - totally not taking the hint!!!

• Like 2

Clearly her name must be Gertie.

I did all four of the others in that series, Triceratops, T Rex, Parasaurolophus and Chasmosaurus, but I never got around to doing this one. I also filched some of the Mesozoic Creatures set to populate the dioramas, and I used the Velociraptors from the Triceratops box to create a little hunting vignette.

The neat thing about the bases is that they interlock to create a dry riverbed that all the animals stumbled into at once...

The figure you're calling Ellen is in fact sculpted after Tamiya-San himself. If you look closely, he comes in two poses. Somewhere he got hold of a time machine...

• Like 1

Actually the "brachiosaur like" sauropod found in Tanzania was referred to as a 'Giraffatitan' - much as I hate Wikipedia:

Giraffatitan, meaning "giant giraffe", is a genus of sauropod dinosaur that lived during the late Jurassic Period (Kimmeridgian-Tithonian stages). It was originally named as an African species of Brachiosaurus (B. brancai). Giraffatitan is one of the largest animals known to have walked the earth.

- if that is total rubbish I'm sure Christian will advise!!!

So your suggestion is totally valid, I think the baby will have camo as it's more vulnerable, Mummy will be more subtle...

Mrs P - totally not taking the hint!!!

Looks good to me! :coolio:

In fact better than most of my undergraduates could manage when I was part of the faculty :weep:

Christian, going to the land of Giraffatitan soon, but still exiled to africa

• Like 1

I picked up the box for this in a shop in Haarlem once and put it back as there was no way it'd fit in the luggage :( Great to see it being built.

Cheers,

Will

• Like 1

Clearly her name must be Gertie.

I did all four of the others in that series, Triceratops, T Rex, Parasaurolophus and Chasmosaurus, but I never got around to doing this one. I also filched some of the Mesozoic Creatures set to populate the dioramas, and I used the Velociraptors from the Triceratops box to create a little hunting vignette.

The neat thing about the bases is that they interlock to create a dry riverbed that all the animals stumbled into at once...

The figure you're calling Ellen is in fact sculpted after Tamiya-San himself. If you look closely, he comes in two poses. Somewhere he got hold of a time machine...

Hi Jessica - thanks for looking! -Gertie brings back memories! - Good to know about the bases, I've got the Chasmosaurus set and will probably get more... Hope Tamiya don't take offence at my renaming! The figure is a useful though slightly puzzling addition.

Must get some predators to add a frisson of danger to all the veggies - then I can use the leftover bits of Mama Brachiosaur as fresh kill meat... ...

Looks good to me! :coolio:

In fact better than most of my undergraduates could manage when I was part of the faculty :weep:

Christian, going to the land of Giraffatitan soon, but still exiled to africa

Sadly people still take Wikipedia as gospel, but it is a useful starting point sometimes and there are really well researched bits. Saw this yesterday: http://earthsky.org/earth/a-new-type-of-ichthyosaurgood to know our local museum is working well.

• Like 1

I picked up the box for this in a shop in Haarlem once and put it back as there was no way it'd fit in the luggage :( Great to see it being built.

Cheers,

Will

Yes, know what you mean, it stopped me buying too much more that day, because the thought of carting it back on the train was daunting enough... now she won't fit in the box. :winkgrin:

The thing about Dremels and their ilk is that slipping is a difficult thing to do. Because the tool does the work and all you do is guide it, there's little to no pressure exerted by your hand, which minimises the risk of slips. If you do get one, buy a flexible shaft as well - much more comfortable to use long term.

• Like 1