Tamiya 1: 35 Brachiosaurus Diorama set

Nope, Tanzania! Ooops my mistake. You are quite right, the first remains attributed to Brachiosaurus were recovered from the Grand River Valley, West Colorado in 1900, but they were a jumbled mass with many elements missing.

What I should have said is where the first complete skeleton was found at Tendaguru, (about 200 km south of our next home in Dar-es-Salaam).

Although now all material previously referred to as Brachiosaurus, from Tanzania, has now been recognised as being sufficiently different to be placed within its own Genus of Giraffatitan.

Quite honestly I am done with travelling and would prefer to return to Europe or the UK. Hopefully this will be the last 'exotic' location... Bah :humbug:

Christian

Right, I suppose it's like everything... you get bored eventually with travelling. Hopefully you and your family will be able to settle somewhere eventually...

I'd read about Giraffatitan. somewhere when I was trying to do a spot of research about Brachiosaurs. I thought it was quite an apt name for the beastie

Hi Mrs P,

Good to see this one starting! Will be watching with interest.

Cheers

Jaime

Hi Jaime, Thanks, it won't be anywhere near as interesting as the stuff you build, but I'm enjoying it - really looking forward to the painting stage, but there's a lot of building, fixing and filing/filling to do first! ... I've never done a diorama either, so that's a first for me too.

Cheers,

Mrs P.

• Like 1

Mrs P,

Thanks for your kind words on my build, but I really think every subject can be made interesting and is always an opportunity to learn, develop and/or consolidate modelling techniques. For me your build has the additional side of appealing to my interest in Dinosaurs and Palaeontology (though I ended up being a Telecom Engineer...)

Cheers

Jaime

• Like 2

Mrs P,

Thanks for your kind words on my build, but I really think every subject can be made interesting and is always an opportunity to learn, develop and/or consolidate modelling techniques. For me your build has the additional side of appealing to my interest in Dinosaurs and Palaeontology (though I ended up being a Telecom Engineer...)

Cheers

Jaime

Thanks, Jaime - you're quite right. I think Telecom Engineers are (possibly?) more use (Sorry Christian!!!) well on a day to day basis, but not when you need your fossils identifying... :winkgrin::oops:

• Like 2

Thanks, Jaime - you're quite right. I think Telecom Engineers are (possibly?) more use (Sorry Christian!!!) well on a day to day basis, but not when you need your fossils identifying... :oops:

No problem, could not agree more!

But I am useful elsewhere... :wicked:

• Like 2

Got a bit more done this weekend, but domestic chores and feeling crap limited what I could accomplish. I got a bit of filler in the foot joints and finished filing the seams. Then the fun bit, attaching the front legs to the body - the locking pins weren't particularly tight so I had to use a tremendous amount of glue...so more filling to come.27767161865_60cdc2b43f_c.jpg

27156126253_7c61bfd2c5_c.jpg

27733099366_eba80fbbf3_c.jpg

27488999740_19475189ab_c.jpg

View from the inside:

27733070096_4d0b6dc0c0_c.jpg

Hopefully I can get more done, as I'm really looking forward to painting her, even if I'm going to need a roller!

Edited by Mrs PlaStix
  • Like 6

Looking good Mrs Pastix!

Never realised that Tamiya had used locking pings, or even pins... Those gaps do not look to bad, a wipe of filler should see them dealt with.

Just had a quick look through;

Martil, D.M. and Naish, D., 2001, Dinosaurs of The Isle of Wight, Palaeontological Association Field Guide to Fossils: Number 10, The Palaeontological Association, London, ISBN 0-901702-72-2, P. 433.

Pages 203 - 221 cover the fragmentary remains of Brachiosaurs recovered from The Isle of Wight. Species listed include Pelorosaurus conybeari Melville, 1849, Oplosaurus armatus Gervais, 1852, Ornithopsis hulkei Seeley, 1870, Ornithopsis eucamerotus Hulke, 1882, and Eucamerotus foxii Blows 1995. Not bad for one little island!

Christian, exiled to africa

Edited by wyverns4
  • Like 1

Nice job, Mrs. P! :clap:

You don't need a roller, you need an airbrush ... wait a minute, you are Stix's better half - no, you don't need no airbrush :winkgrin:

Ciao

• Like 1

Nice job, Mrs. P! :clap:

You don't need a roller, you need an airbrush ... wait a minute, you are Stix's better half - no, you don't need no airbrush :winkgrin:

Ciao

Thanks giemme, He wouldn't trust me with one anyway!! :winkgrin:

• Like 1

Good progress with the legs, Mrs P. Sometimes things seem to take inordinate amounts of time but it's always better to make solid, though small, progress than rushing ahead and end up with a substandard result.

Cheers

Jaime

• Like 1

Good progress with the legs, Mrs P. Sometimes things seem to take inordinate amounts of time but it's always better to make solid, though small, progress than rushing ahead and end up with a substandard result.

Cheers

Jaime

Very true, especially with Mr S's very thin layer painting... Patience is everything! - I just wish I had more time to build stuff :weep::weep:

• Like 1

I know what you mean, Mrs P. I also have limited time for modelling and then I spend hours just cleaning a few parts, like over the weekend with my Ju 88 build.

Hopefully, I'll have some more time now that my German classes are ending.

Cheers

Jaime

• Like 1

I know what you mean, Mrs P. I also have limited time for modelling and then I spend hours just cleaning a few parts, like over the weekend with my Ju 88 build.

Hopefully, I'll have some more time now that my German classes are ending.

Cheers

Jaime

You make so many excellent builds already, really looking forward to what you do when you've got more time! Unfortunately domestic chores + work doesn't leave much time - but the Summer Holidays are coming so I'll get several weeks to get on with things...(hopefully!) Cheers, Mrs P

• Like 1

I don't normally look in here but glad I did tonight. The things you learn!

Looking forward to seeing her and offspring finished.

Richard

Hi Richard, great to have you along! I know what you mean there are so many areas and topics that it's impossible to manage to build and keep up with everything (It's so full of delightful distractions and stunning builds)

• Like 2

Ah.....I see the effects of 'forum-modelling' are begining to kick in. :pipe:

Careful Mrs.P or next thing you know you'll be fitting Britney with aftermarket etched brass eyelashes! :winkgrin:

Gosh, can you really get photo etch for Dinos? :bleh::whistle: the possibilities are endless...

• Like 2

More progress this morning - the rear legs fitted, though more glue needed to start filling the gaps:

27857050276_dd6d9eee4c_c.jpg
27279621623_55b90114e3_c.jpg
To give some sense of scale shown with the figure provided (I've named her Ellen, she looks like Ellen De Generes) this is, of course, before the neck is attached!
27279614363_c0b7927afe_c.jpg
Thought I'd show the inside, seems odd to have bits like this on a creature model:
27279715514_2abb1e7910_c.jpg
Progress - now the halves are joined together, she's standing well. Her tail is now sorted too.
27281358653_687128db44_c.jpg
27893586515_d6c86d3c03_c.jpg
Hopefully I'll get her neck and head completed by tomorrow...
Edited by Mrs PlaStix
  • Like 5

Lovely job Mrs P,the figure in the shot really tells the size...Never heard of Ellen De Generes but i'm pretty sure you're off her christmas card list...

Thanks!, No danger of her ever putting me on her Christmas card list... I'm glad they included the figure with the diorama because it really does help with the scale.

• Like 1

Great progress on the legs and body, Mrs P! It's shaping up very well. You'll sort those joins with no problems by now :)

Cheers

Jaime

• Like 1