Tamiya 1: 35 Brachiosaurus Diorama set

Whoever designed these creatures was having a laugh. Clearly, that out-dated theory of evolution could never have lead to a creature so stupid. :evil_laugh:

Badder

• Like 2

Whoever designed these creatures was having a laugh. Clearly, that out-dated theory of evolution could never have lead to a creature so stupid. :evil_laugh:

Badder

Good point well made!!!! :winkgrin:

• Like 1

Badder

They're still around today,ever seen a Dachshund lol...

• Like 2

They're still around today,ever seen a Dachshund lol...

Specifically bred to chase and flush out badgers, etc. - so potentially pretty plucky little Draught excluders

• Like 1

Thanks Mrs P,didn't realise that's what they were bred for...

Yup, very very expensive draught excluders - but they do come in various sizes, depending on the width of your door... :winkgrin:

• Like 1

Hi Mrs P

Good purchase there. I've got 2 of these monsters unbuilt and have loved tinkering through the box contents - its a lovely kit and bang on good value for the amazing amount of detail and kit quality you get from Tamiya with their later dino mouldings (albeit 1991 around the Jurassic Park boom era)

My intentions are to combine the 2 bases from my 2 kits and gently heat and alter the neck and tail pose of one of the baby Brachios, and then the same with one of the adults. Luckily the kit is designed to benefit from 2 different front leg pose options and either open or shut jaw options so it wont be too difficult to turn 2 identical kits into a pair of adults and a pair of youths all looking different.

I'm really going to enjoy your build of this superb, and very much "value for your money" kit Mrs P.

Keep calm and Brachio on...

John

• Like 1

Hi John, I couldn't resist getting the Tamiya kit when I saw it, but will have problems trying to find space to display it as Stix's kits almost fill the room already! Your idea sounds fantastic, :wow: the ability to vary the pose and mouth was one of the things I really liked about the kit. You'll also be able to have a pair of Archaeopteryx, so you could have a nest perhaps? :hmmm:

Hi John, I couldn't resist getting the Tamiya kit when I saw it, but will have problems trying to find space to display it as Stix's kits almost fill the room already! Your idea sounds fantastic, :wow: the ability to vary the pose and mouth was one of the things I really liked about the kit. You'll also be able to have a pair of Archaeopteryx, so you could have a nest perhaps? :hmmm:

Hi Mrs P

I am going to have one of the Archaeopteryx on the ground and another balanced innocently on the hind quarters of one of the female parents having an innocent free in-ride grub grooming piggy-back!

• Like 1

Hi Mrs P

I am going to have one of the Archaeopteryx on the ground and another balanced innocently on the hind quarters of one of the female parents having an innocent free in-ride grub grooming piggy-back!

That sounds like a great idea and kind of ties in with the birds that hang around elephants and rhinos nowadays... :thumbsup:

Aye up Mrs P.

Just caught up with this. Looks like a lovely kit and i'm really looking forward to seeing what you do with it :popcorn:

Regards,

Steve

Hi Steve, thanks for looking, I really fell for this kit, it's got so much in it. I'm hoping I can do it justice. - You've been busy shed shifting, so I'll forgive you, nice boots BTW :winkgrin: - hope all goes well with the new 'Fat Cave'...

• Like 1

Hi Steve, thanks for looking, I really fell for this kit, it's got so much in it. I'm hoping I can do it justice. - You've been busy shed shifting, so I'll forgive you, nice boots BTW :winkgrin: - hope all goes well with the new 'Fat Cave'...

Thanks Mrs P.

The cave is still a work in progress and the innards are currently in the planning stage. Every man should have a shed and a pair of riggers for doing the garden and mucky jobs! :winkgrin:

Regards,

Steve

• Like 1

A caveman in the dio with a couple of Spears :thumbsup: ...

Oops! you've done it again!... - Nice one

Thanks Mrs P.

The cave is still a work in progress and the innards are currently in the planning stage. Every man should have a shed and a pair of riggers for doing the garden and mucky jobs! :winkgrin:

Regards,

Steve

Well, you wouldn't like to get those boots dirty!!! :coolio:

Edited by Mrs PlaStix
  • Like 2

This weekend I started to build Mama Brachy. I've got as far as her legs... considering Tamiya are reputed to be so good, they really don't fit too well, especially at the tops.

Most of my time was spent filing and then trying to blend the texture across the joins - the skin is very nicely modelled, very elephant like.

27498280462_3d24e9286a_c.jpg
The feet/toes are separate, which seems odd, but it's more to construct.
So, here we are - four legs in search of a body!! Hopefully more to come next week...27602425455_18fcd22f96_c.jpg
Edited by Mrs PlaStix
  • Like 3

This weekend I started to build Mama Brachy. I've got as far as her legs... considering Tamiya are reputed to be so good, they really don't fit too well, especially at the tops.

Most of my time was spent filing and then trying to blend the texture across the joins - the skin is very nicely modelled, very elephant like.

27498280462_3d24e9286a_c.jpg
The feet/toes are separate, which seems odd, but it's more to construct.
So, here we are - four legs in search of a body!! Hopefully more to come next week...27602425455_18fcd22f96_c.jpg

Saw lots of legs like that last week in Plymouth when we had some good weather.

• Like 4

Hi Mrs PlaStix,

My apologies for not being around when needed! :blush:

Another cracking build, so :popcorn: & :drink: at the ready for this tour de force. :thumbsup:

Re feathers; at present the only group of dinosaurs to have been found with feathers and/or feather-like structures are the theropods, think Tyrannosaurus rex and the raptors from Jurassic Park. But Palaeontology is a growing and developing science, so who knows what may be found... :hmmm:

Christian, exiled to africa and shortly to depart to the land where Brachiosaurus was first found

• Like 1

Hi Mrs PlaStix,

My apologies for not being around when needed! :blush:

Another cracking build, so :popcorn: & :drink: at the ready for this tour de force. :thumbsup:

Re feathers; at present the only group of dinosaurs to have been found with feathers and/or feather-like structures are the theropods, think Tyrannosaurus rex and the raptors from Jurassic Park. But Palaeontology is a growing and developing science, so who knows what may be found... :hmmm:

Christian, exiled to africa and shortly to depart to the land where Brachiosaurus was first found

Just glad that you're back for a bit!

So off to the US of A - take it not actually Colorado? - You do get around (I go to Birmingham once every few months if lucky...) - Thanks for clarifying the feather question again...

Just glad that you're back for a bit!

So off to the US of A - take it not actually Colorado? - You do get around (I go to Birmingham once every few months if lucky...) - Thanks for clarifying the feather question again...

Nope, Tanzania! Ooops my mistake. You are quite right, the first remains attributed to Brachiosaurus were recovered from the Grand River Valley, West Colorado in 1900, but they were a jumbled mass with many elements missing.

What I should have said is where the first complete skeleton was found at Tendaguru, (about 200 km south of our next home in Dar-es-Salaam).

Although now all material previously referred to as Brachiosaurus, from Tanzania, has now been recognised as being sufficiently different to be placed within its own Genus of Giraffatitan.

Quite honestly I am done with travelling and would prefer to return to Europe or the UK. Hopefully this will be the last 'exotic' location... Bah :humbug:

Christian

Edited by wyverns4
  • Like 2