Hawker Tempest Mk.V - 1:72 MisterCraft

Julien

4 hours ago, The Wooksta! said:

Without a shot of the wheel doors or bays, I can't be too sure.  The Heller one doesn't have the early longer Hispanos which that one does.  Possibly the Frog kit?

This is a shot of the wheel wells. I think the u/c legs are moulded on to the doors.

Tempest%20wheel%20wells_zps9hrheiti.jpg

John

Airfix never did their own Tempest - only a reboxing of the fairly nice Heller one.

The picture shown above is probably the Frog Tempest. The Matchbox Tempest came with Clostermann's markings too.

No.  The Matchbox kit was a fudge kit, with alternate engines - Centaurus for a II, Sabre for a VI - and the wings had the oil coolers.  The markings were either 6 Sqn (mk VI) or Indian (mk II).  It never came with Closterman's markings.

• Like 1

On 26/04/2017 at 19:38, John R said:

This is a shot of the wheel wells. I think the u/c legs are moulded on to the doors.

Tempest%20wheel%20wells_zps9hrheiti.jpg

John

That doesn't look like the Frog kit - the Frog wheels were welded/rivited to the legs.

Details (in French) here http://frog.cocardes.com/hawker-tempest-ref-f212

I would agree with it being Revell, by the look of the first photo, most of the rivets have been scrubbed off but are there in the undercart shots as only Revell did with their Tempest, certainly not on the Frog one I have.

Steve.

• 2 months later...
On 28/04/2017 at 8:09 AM, Eric Mc said:

Yeas - pretty sure it's Revell now.

I built the Matchbox kit not that long ago but I didn't use the kit decals as they were too yellowed.

DSCF8098.JPG

I have got to say that is a stunning Tempest.i love it.

Roland Beamont's Tempest was JN751 and was fitted with the early long-barrelled cannon.  As the pilot and aeroplane scored the first Tempest kill on D-Day+2 (and Beaumont was involved in Tempest development flying) it's probably a more deserving choice of subject than any of Clostermann's mounts, but I do also have a bit of a predilection for modelling 3 Squadron's aeroplanes.

The Heller kit was always a pleasure to put together and a bit more detailed than the FROG kit (also fun to put together until the onset of AMS).  There are plenty of choices for Tempest colour schemes; the variations in invasion stripes could make an interesting mini-theme.

On 28/04/2017 at 8:09 AM, Eric Mc said:

DSCF8098.JPG

Revell need to re release this kit - now!

The Heller etc kit is a Lovely Thing. My recollection is very delicate raised lines and razor sharp main wing trailing edges.

Trevor

• Like 1

On 21/04/2017 at 11:07 PM, The Wooksta! said:

Airfix released the Heller Tempest twice.  Once in the "Aircraft of the Aces" boxes - can't remember the guy's name but the codes were EDM -

Can't think how I let this slip earlier on, EDM, Evan Dall Mackie, aka Rosie Mackie, one of New Zealand's top scoring fighter pilots & Wing Leader of 122 wing at the time depicted by the EDM marked Tempest.

Steve.

Slightly off topic but the EDM markings once appeared on an old Almark sheet in the mid 80's and was described as a tribute to him for his work for the IPMS.

Trevor

Wires slightly crossed, I think. SN228 EDM did figure on Almark sheet C12 but most of the sheet was devoted to aircraft associated with AML "Mac" Kennaugh, a longstanding and recently deceased IPMS stalwart.  In fact the title of the sheet is "Tempest Mk.V - 122 Wing Flt Sgt Kennaugh".

PS the kit that sparked the thread is the old Revell one. 

Edited by Seahawk

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎28‎.‎04‎.‎2017 at 9:09 AM, Eric Mc said:

Yeas - pretty sure it's Revell now.

I built the Matchbox kit not that long ago but I didn't use the kit decals as they were too yellowed.

Parts shot for Revell here - the method for the inner u/c doors is the give away. Also, I think the Revell is the only legacy Srs 1 kit. Not sure but I think the Collector's Choice boxing came with Beamont, the original H-621 (SD-Z or whatever) and Le Grand Showoff decals.

Your build very amply illustrates why I regard the MB Tempest as one of their best (aircraft) kits ever. Great build indeed, Sir !

On ‎11‎.‎07‎.‎2017 at 8:20 PM, Max Headroom said:

Revell need to re release this kit - now!

That would be great ! However, this ***may*** be one of the moulds lost in Russia. A friend who did some freelancing for Revell asked me a couple of years ago which MB aircraft I'd consider worthy of release by Revell, and the Tempest, Fury and Siskin were top of the list. The Fury at least has resurfaced. Not sure about the Siskin.

As far as I was aware only some Frog/Novo moulds disappeared somewhere in the former USSR. The Siskin and Tempest II/VI were Matchbox originals and should have migrated direct from the UK to wherever Revell do their production.

Maybe their non appearance may be something to do with them being damaged or even perhaps lost?

How many years is it since the Matchbox mounds weee acquired by Revell? 20+?

It doesn't appear to have surfaced since the 1990's.

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/147053-matchbox-pk-23-hawker-tempest

Trevor

"Lost in Russia" refers to some Commercial tête-à-tête Revell had with Alanger some 10 years ago, in which apparently Alanger was supplied with a number of Revell-owned moulds to have them moulded in Russia. List here, not all of them ex-Revell. For some reason, Alanger appears to (successfully) have claimed ownership, with the kits appearing from them thereafter, e.g. the legacy Revell A-7A, MB A-20G and a He 111H (could be either MB or ex-Frog - Scalemates says MB). A couple of years ago, Revell looked at re-releasing the MB Ju 188E/F - we were only spared this dreadful kit by the mould being no longer with Revell. --- But I guess we've veered o/t so far that soon we will be called to order :whistle: Revell's acquisition of the MB moulds took place in '91, I think. Time flies... 

Edited by tempestfan
added link
  • Like 1

AFAIK Matchbox kits sent to Alanger were:

PK-6 FW-190A
PK-9 Bell AH-1G
PK-13 P-51D Mustang
PK-17 Me Bf-109E
PK-21 Me-262
PK-26 Henschel Hs-126
PK-73 Panther Ausf G
PK-74 Panzer III Ausf L
PK-84 Stuart Honey
PK-85 Sdkfz 232 Radio Car

PK-88 Krupp Protze
PK-109 Ju-188 
PK-120 A-20G/J Havoc/Boston IV

PK-121 A-10A Thunderbolt II
PK-122 F-16A/B
PK-130 Tornado F3
PK-161 Graf Spee
PK-162 HMS Exeter
PK-163 USS San Diego
PK-351 Bismarck
PK-403 He-111H
PK-404 F-4K/M Phantom II
PK-406 F-14A Tomcat

Note that Alanger stopped trading in 2008, so all the above are probably scrap metal by now...:(

PS We have beeped up yet another review thread. :lol:

Edited by Panoz
corrected list

On 02/06/2016 at 17:09, Julien said:

The decals look to be in register, the SKY codes look a little dark to me and the tail bands will need to be matched to these. All bands and stripes will need to be painted.

actually, no,not always

see this thread about an restored Tempest fuselage.

woodhouse37-1.jpg

On 14/05/2011 at 20:49, Chris Thomas said:

The Sky band would have been factory applied and the unit codes would have been applied by the unit (or its servicing echelon), at Eindhoven in this case. That could be a reason for the difference as well as the years of fading and grime that are evident.

HTH

• Like 1

On 21 July 2017 at 7:55 AM, Eric Mc said:

I used markings that came with the Special Hobby kit - which I have yet to build.

You have my condolences - it's a vile build, largely due to the resin wheel bay insert which has a MASSIVE pouring lug which needs excessive sanding to remove and then doesn't fit.  I had to sand mine so thin that it was translucent, sand the inside of the wing AND the lower mating surfaces of the wheel bay and it STILL didn't fit.  It's rotting in a box somewhere and the two others are waiting to be disposed of.

I haven't built the Special Hobby kit. I merely applied the decals from the Special Hobby kit to the Matchbox kit. It just shows how much a decent set of decals can do to improve a fairly basic model.