Fairey Swordfish Mk.II - 1/48 Tamiya

Hello!

After Spitfire build has been completed, I decided to make a new model - Fairey Swordfish.

So, I have:

Model: Tamiya 61099

Resin parts: CMK 4063, engine Vector

Photo-etched: Eduard 49212; Tamiya TA61069

I would be grateful for any help - especially I need of good quality drawings and walkarounds. Thank you!

sword.jpg.95e1e6e1b5bc4889663cdf9a2c0c9c

Edited by Proper Plane

IIRC this strange ring in front of the engine (betwwen pistons and propeller) appears in the museal examples and in the Tamiya kit, but I've never seen it in WWII photos.

w5856mjh3_TA0.jpg

versus:

fairey-swordfish-torpedo-bomber-1942-10-

Edited by GrzeM

one tip re the Tamiya rigging ( I've now built 2 of these - and love the kit) . If building with the wings folded it is best ( if awkward) to fix the rigging in place with the wings attached. It also helps to glue just one end and leave the other " floating" if possible. The etched metal rigging is stiff and adding the wings to the spars can add some stress and flex into the plastic parts which can then cause some rigging to slacken and others to tighten.

• Like 1

Good choice sir.

Here is my WIP for the very same kit. :D

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234999461-my-first-wip-148th-scale-tamiya-fairey-swordfish-mk2/

Hopefully it'll point out some of the pitfalls I encountered.

Hope it helps.

All the best with that wonderful string bag.

John. :D

• Like 1

IIRC this strange ring in front of the engine (betwwen pistons and propeller) appears in the museal examples and in the Tamiya kit, but I've never seen it in WWII photos.

I was given the opportunity last year to get up close and personal with the RNHF aircraft at Yeovilton, Swordfish W5856 in particular. My contact mentioned in passing that when Tamiya took references from the flight's aircraft, they slavishly copied the modern fire extinguisher system on the engine.

Cheers,

Bill.