Nightie McNighterson! 1/48 Airfix Hurricane Mk.I Night Fighter

Lovely job.

I've just started the 1/72 Defiant and want to do a night scheme - any hints and tips on achieving that finish?

• Like 1

superb modelling, but a point or two

the broken 'A' is the result of a replacement fabric access panel, notice the stroke of the A is in the handhold

Gleed%20Hurri%20nightfghter_zpskyhb6ejc.

so have shifted all the codes back, and also the roundel. Note the oil streaks on the gear door as well.

The tail stroipes are probably pale blue, note the squadron leader pennant under the windscreen, which is pale blue and red

5622BDDD-C5E1-4727-9115-534A34CFF21E.jpg

The upperwing roundels are too far outboard, I keep seeing this on Hurricane models, note position of chordwise panel line.

Hawker%20Hurricane%20Camo%20%26%20Marks_

from http://www.boxartden.com/gallery/index.php/Profiles/Camoflage-Markings/03-Hawker-Hurricane

which has lots of useful info of this kind.

I know you have done another Hurricane, and hope the info above (in the link) will be of use for further builds.

really excellent black finish, further explanation of the pre shade would be fascinating

HTH

• Like 2

Very beautiful night scheme with great weathering.

And very interesting explanations by Troy Smith.

I have learnt a lot of interesting facts.

• Like 1

And another thank you to Troy Smith for having given the link to boxartden.

I am currently exploring this site which is absolutely FANTASTIC !!!

I can remember having bought some copies of PROFILE when I was 13 or 14 years old.

I couldn't afford to buy them all because two shillings was a real amount of money in the sixties, (even changed

in French francs.)

And now I can read them all on boxartden !

Extraordinary !!!

superb modelling, but a point or two

the broken 'A' is the result of a replacement fabric access panel, notice the stroke of the A is in the handhold

Gleed%20Hurri%20nightfghter_zpskyhb6ejc.

so have shifted all the codes back, and also the roundel. Note the oil streaks on the gear door as well.

The tail stroipes are probably pale blue, note the squadron leader pennant under the windscreen, which is pale blue and red

5622BDDD-C5E1-4727-9115-534A34CFF21E.jpg

The upperwing roundels are too far outboard, I keep seeing this on Hurricane models, note position of chordwise panel line.

Hawker%20Hurricane%20Camo%20%26%20Marks_

from http://www.boxartden.com/gallery/index.php/Profiles/Camoflage-Markings/03-Hawker-Hurricane

which has lots of useful info of this kind.

I know you have done another Hurricane, and hope the info above (in the link) will be of use for further builds.

really excellent black finish, further explanation of the pre shade would be fascinating

HTH

Near page! I can't stop reading! Another one? Tia is my third of this kit! I have two other Hase kits built.

As for the black, here's how it started:

B874CA95-93C9-4D4A-BF69-1D5EDC98AA71.jpg

I then painted it overall Testors enamel dark sea gray, and preshaded the panel lines with Mr. Surfacer 1500 Black.

BEEA4AC1-544C-46C5-BAB2-993A1E0C0CF5.jpg

Using the same mr. Surfacer, I built up the color layer by going over the panel lines again in wider, broader strokes, and then overall, in lighter coats until I had the desired effect.

F695B49A-A25C-4394-A2C1-49560D429691.jpg

• Like 1