MAZ 7310-AA60 Crash Tender

• 2 weeks later...

After the relatively fast (for me) progress earlier in the build things are now getting slow and fiddly!

Tackled the steps and grab handles on the rear. The centre two are folding so are only temporarily mounted for the photo. They have some more bracketry to be added.

d9jflkl.jpg

Then made a start on the foam monitor that dominates the front of the machine. This is going to keep me quiet for some time as it is a pretty complex bit of kit and I am having to work from photos as I have been unable to find any drawings of it. Got the support frame finished and attached to the front bumper, which I have also modified a bit.

deqYDS4.jpg

Q6KeY00.jpg

Some parts for the monitor!

iiZw1m4.jpg

Edited by Kiwidave4
  • Like 6

Still here and still impressed.

I said earlier about tape and mentioned

Gorilla tape. I meant Frog tape. if it's sold

down there? It's a green, low tack decorators

tape. Failing that, ordinary masking tape can

be applied to your forehead first, then onto

the model. Skin oils make it relatively low tack.

• Like 2

Still here and still impressed.

I said earlier about tape and mentioned

Gorilla tape. I meant Frog tape. if it's sold

down there? It's a green, low tack decorators

tape. Failing that, ordinary masking tape can

be applied to your forehead first, then onto

the model. Skin oils make it relatively low tack.

Thanks Pete. When I get nearer to painting I will have a look ...I know there are low tack tapes in our local DIY store so will check them out.

• 3 weeks later...

Been a while since my last update due to a number of things, but mainly because the foam monitor has proved as tricky as I had anticipated. The assembly of so many small and fragile parts resulted in some damage and remaking accompanied by a marked decrease in enthusiasm! However I have got something resembling the original built up, albeit minus the 'wheelbarrow handles' used to direct it. I have the brass for it bent up but will need a Scotch or two before tackling the soldering.

1xLOJhm.jpg

There are sixty three individual parts in this pic, not including the 'bolt heads'.

dEjXwTD.jpg

HQGO7tU.jpg

The flared end to the monitor shroud posed a problem so after failing to find a really simple way to make it I resorted to turning up a forming tool from some aluminium round bar. This takes the form of a male and female part, the two pulled together by a machine screw and nut. I cut a 10 thou styrene ring of appropriate internal and external dimensions and then slipped it over the spigot on the male part. The two parts were then tightened together and dropped into some boiling water. When cooled I seperated the parts and had a nicely formed tapered collar. This is the tool -

4otavnw.jpg

6kyLGha.jpg

The other more general problem I am experiencing is one of space. My workbench is a converted oak writing bureau which is a nice cosy size for 1/35th tanks. The MAZ a bit like Topsys tail, and is inclined to get tangled with the furniture, or worse my arm as I reach for a tool, with the attendant risk of knocking bits off.

rKem6mS.jpg

• Like 5

Looks great, I love these machines and I've never seen this version.

Yes the Russians build some interesting kit. I have to admit to not knowing a lot about the 7310 because although I found a heap of reference material on line it was by searching in cyrllic - thanks to Google translate! - and as I dont know a word of Russian I could only click and drag the pictures! Seems that many Russian civilian airports used (or still use) variants of the 7310.

• 2 weeks later...

Steady progress has been the order of the day. Got the foam monitor finished except for the flexible hydraulic lines which I am still trying to work out how to make. The monitor has really been a model within a model but I am pleased with the result, and giving its dominant position on the vehicle it needs to look right.

LQtxw6L.jpg

MiplBBd.jpg

1vccCyT.jpg

JVZ5vxN.jpg

I have also tackled the handrails on the body. Much Googling turned up a model railway part called a handrail knob which looked just right made by the British firm Markits in Watford. I ordered from Model Railway Imports in Canada. When the three identical packs of knobs arrived I found the contents to be anything but identical - each pack contained a different size knob. Steve at MRI was most helpful, it was after all none of his fault, measuring his stock packs and selecting two that matched one of the sizes I had, and sending them freight free. Doesn't alter the fact that I had to buy five packs to get three and does nowt to improve my opinion of British companies, being the latest in a litany of cock ups, and not only with modelling supplies. The upside is that they look the dogs whatsits now they are fitted.

UWv7GZE.jpg

FaQzHhg.jpg

Now reaching the stage of the build where all I have left are the difficult bits that I have been putting off! Making seventeen identical car type handles for the locker doors for instance!

• Like 7

• 2 weeks later...

Just a small update, the build is now at the 'fiddly bits' stage and a lot of time has been used up for little visible change. The front bumper contains a pair of driving lights and  turn indicators. The kit items are just plastic blobs so I made up something bit fancier. The flash has 'burned' the edges of the Little Lenses I used for the lights. The indicators are old LED's with a coat of clear orange and some Klear to give them a shine.

eKXLuv3.jpg

The blue beacons on the cab roof were turned from clear rod and fitted with bases turned from styrene tube. The kit lifting eyes were replaced with wire examples. The cage for the spotlight above the drivers cab kept me quiet for a while, but fortunately the full size ones are usually a bit knocked about so I am not too worried if it is not perfect.

z3J7W2m.jpg

ePV2Ya5.jpg

sJP3r3W.jpg

• Like 4

Overcame a major obstacle this week when I finally got stuck into the handles for the stowage lockers. I needed seventeen handles of the old fashioned car door type. I had hoped that someone might have produced photoetched ones in 1/32nd which would have been near enough but much Googling failed to unearth anything. 

Because they are very vulnerable I felt that metal would be the best material, so devised a way to make them from 25 thou phosphor bronze rod. First I bent the rod into a 'hockey stick' shape, then gave it a whack with my calibrated knockometer to give it a wedge shape. It was then relatively easy to file the desired shape. The photo shows the three stages of shaping -

SlaRbTc.jpg

I was concerned about the strength of the join with the bodywork, so I drilled each handle position to accept a short length of 50 thou styrene rod. I fitted the rod into the bodywork so the outer end was proud of the body, thus replicating the ferrule at the base of the handle. I then drilled each rod with a 25 thou drill to accept the handle.

q6WfUV1.jpg

I got so carried away with myself that I decided to make an extra four so I could also replace the cab door handles!

h8wvz2W.jpg

• Like 4

45 minutes ago, caterhamnut said:

My favorite build at the moment. Love the 'chunky' feel of the vehicle, and the scratch build stuff is amazing....looks fantastic.

Cant wait to see the color go on, although I actually really like the grey and white - very very neat.

Thanks. Yes the painting bit is getting very close and thats the part I dont much enjoy! 

1 hour ago, Pete in Lincs said:

Epic work!

You mentioned flexible hoses?

I use telephone wire or guitar strings.

Hope that may help.

Pete

Thanks Pete, I have just finished them using copper wire. Although the 1:1 items are flexible the routing was easiest to replicate with a rigid wire, and the copper core of old electrical cable comes at my sort of price.....free! 

Hope to get some pics taken tomorrow of the entire machine 'loosely assembled' as it is pretty much the end of the build. Still have the base and figures to tackle which may throw up some more problems....finding a big enough bit of MDF for free could be a challenge.