MAZ 7310-AA60 Crash Tender

As an armour builder I usually post in the AFV section but this project, though based on a military vehicle kit, will end up as a civilian crash tender so I guess this is the place for it!

The donor kit is the rather dreadful Dragon offering from the 90's that I picked up cheap. It lacks detail, and the entire undercarriage is either inaccurate or non-existent. As this will be a kerbside model I am not too fussed about the undersides. I have added some non-scale torsion bars and will add some extra 'plumbing' later just to fuss up the bits that will be visible between the wheels.

So this is what I started with...

yW0PyoE.jpg?1

The chassis had warped in storage so I took the simple route and planked the top rails with some 30 thou sheet. The pannier boxes needed shortening and I added some details to them.

eKhgfu6.jpg?1

The open area between the panniers is being boxed in. Not easy as the kit has no positive location for most parts, and aligning two independent boxes required much fluffing about with props and temporary bracing to get them correct.

syEuqqz.jpg?1

The crew compartments have virtually no internal details, not important for the right hand one, but something that needed attention on the drivers side.

dyL16qt.jpg?1

The crew 'pods' now need painting prior to closing them, and as a result of my mistake planning I dont have any paint. Doh! Still have some details to add to the panniers but I am also aware of the risk of knocking bits off so will press on with the main bodywork now which will involve some quite large bits of styrene with the tanker body alone being about 250mm long. So I should have plenty to keep me amused during the winter months!

• Like 8

Looks like a beast of a project!

It is a bit challenging! The size of the thing is already causing problems on my 'workbench' which is a converted writing desk. Should keep me quiet for a while though.

• Like 1

Got the crew compartments painted interanlly so I could finish assembling them and fit them to the chassis. While at it I added some extra detail to the undersides.

UwodwUq.jpg

oEekrV8.jpg

z3aA2CE.jpg

Once the compartments were fitted I could start on what to me seems the hardest bit, the tank. There must be an easy way to make an object like this but I dont know it! After much deliberation I made a crude jig, and assembled some 1mm formers on a couple of 5mm tubes.

zFoK65h.jpg

Then I tackled the skin. I did not think this one through, but by the time I was in trouble it was too late to go back! I opted for 20 thou sheet as being thin enough to roll around the formers. Of course this also carried the risk of 'sag' between the formers. Somehow managed to get it wrapped then resorted to cable ties to hold it while the glue dried.

PcAZ2Dh.jpg

Currently I am working on the support frame to attach the tank to the chassis.

dmkOJtE.jpg

lI5KHba.jpg

Apologies for the photo quality. I recently acquired a Galaxy that my daughter discarded for the latest iPhone, and I find it easier to use than my camera and usually gives me better pics. Hardly ever use it as a phone.

Edited by Kiwidave4
  • Like 7

• 2 weeks later...

Progress slowed somewhat over the last couple of weeks as our second grandchild was born and modelling and motorcycling had to take a back seat.

I made the tank that goes between the front left hand wheels (engine oil?) and got it fitted with some plumbing which also adds some reinforcing for the bracketry.

KO65pzU.jpg

The main task has been the bodywork. This involved making a cutting jig, which I then adapted to be an assembly jig! So far the 'bodywork' is really the stowage bins, the finished body panels will be a ten thou skin applied over the bits in the photos. The twelve inch steel rule gives an idea of the size.

YRSDZf4.jpg

For some light relief from bodybuilding I finished the detailing on the panels in front of the tank, including the louvres which I had been long fingering but they were not to difficult once I got started. Still have handles and wing nuts to add but they will be down the track or they just get knocked off.

fUqxN5g.jpg

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

In the process of adding the details to the bodywork. The stowage compartment doors are scabbed on with 5 thou sheet. The two small doors on the rear look a bit different;- I ran out of white styrene so used clear, which was actually easier to work with. Small louvres on rear side doors were a challenge but I think they are rough enough! The walkways are from 30 thou square.

n3YHQTC.jpg

uC1r5yE.jpg

The tank fillers were a bit tricky. Took me several attempts to get the domed lids made, then it was the fiddly bits with some pieces being sacrificed to the carpet monster along the way.

0cjDctr.jpg

• Like 6

Good effort, it looks the biz. Are you going for all over red as in the photo, or something more tactical?

Thanks. Will paint as the photo, with a pair of white stripes vertically up the rear end. Should stand out from all the NATO green in my model cabinet! Will be a bit of a challenge as I am not very keen on painting, and this will require masking the stripes, and also the glazing - not something I have much experience of.

• Like 1

What a great beastie this thing is. And a lovely

job you are making of it too.

If I may, degrease the bodywork and maybe a rub

down with worn scotchbrite to give the paint something

to cling to. Leave the white to dry thoroughly before

masking with Tamiya or Gorilla tape and burnish it

down well before applying the red.

Unmask slowly after leaving to dry for days!

I hope that might help, I learned the hard way!

Regards

Pete

• Like 1

What a great beastie this thing is. And a lovely

job you are making of it too.

If I may, degrease the bodywork and maybe a rub

down with worn scotchbrite to give the paint something

to cling to. Leave the white to dry thoroughly before

masking with Tamiya or Gorilla tape and burnish it

down well before applying the red.

Unmask slowly after leaving to dry for days!

I hope that might help, I learned the hard way!

Regards

Pete

Thanks Pete. I have had problems in the past with the masking tape lifting the paint, but maybe the Scotchbrite routine will help with that.

• Like 1