MAZ 7310-AA60 Crash Tender

The bulk of the build is now finished so I have hung all the bits together for a pre-paint photo shoot. The only bits still to make for the vehicle are the windows, and a set of window masks. I have already made the undertray for beneath the cabs but cant fit that till after painting the undersides.

zwsRFle.jpg

pfm1s4E.jpg

yMxnDyS.jpg

jOjnaBC.jpg

I1vOQXA.jpg

C7GgP0c.jpg

I still have to make a base, and I have a couple of figures to work on. My budget does not normally extend to resin but could not find fireman figures in styrene and I dont have the sculpting skills to scratch build figures. These two are not identified as any particular nationality but need some tweaking to represent Russian crew. I have already modified the helmets to better look like KP-92, and will scratch visors as the resin ones are a bit thick and opaque. One figure will need re-posing, and there are details that need changing on the uniforms. Could be a while before the next update!

bBgwekD.jpg

• Like 5

• 3 months later...

Well its been a long time since I added an update! I hate painting, so I was less than keen to start. Then to add to the distractions there were several motorcycle charity rides, and the dreaded family Christmas, but now I am trying to get it progressing so I am ready for a new project for 2017.

While delaying the painting I prepared the base which turned into a bit of a disaster. I decided to shortcut the base making by using a printable concrete pattern I had found somewhere online (maybe Britmodeller?). I printed out two sheets, and had a practice run sticking it on an offcut of the MDF I used to make the base. It worked perfectly. However when I glued the printable to the real base something reacted with the ink and I had areas of almost flouro green appear! I was not amused and stuffed around for a while trying to save it. Finally I resorted to misting a coat of light grey over it which fortunately had the desired effect.

Have also been working on the crew. I reposed one figure, which necessitated amputating his hand and using one from the spares box. I have got a bit of paint on them, although it was a bit of a drama when the Humbrol yellow/brown colour I chose on the basis of the cap colour turned out to be nearer to lime green! Finally managed to mix a closer hue.

SpSHhQQ.jpg

Started painting the MAZ by applying a coat of satin white as an undercoat to give an even base for the red. The combination of my failing sight, poor airbrush technique and the inherent problem of applying white on white resulted in my getting some 'runs' on one side of the body. Will have to wait a few days for the paint to cure so I can fix that.

RX2ltyB.jpg

pCoqQjA.jpg

Once the first coat has cured I will be able to get on with the rest of the painting so I can do all the final assembly work, some of which is going to be quite fiddly.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

A combination of unseasonal weather and a lack of enthusiasm has resulted in no progress on the paint front, but I have managed to complete the figures. I made new visors as the resin ones were thick and opaque. The reflective bands on the uniform I made by applying a strip of Bare Metal Foil and then applying a coat of clear colour. Not entirely successful!

4xoUri9.jpg

CaWFhKJ.jpg

• Like 3

3 hours ago, phildagreek said:

Looks good, I'd forgotten about you and your big truck!

I have almost forgotten about it too!

Poor thing looks a bit forlorn masked and undercoated at the back of my workbench.

Really must make the effort as even when the paint goes on there will still be a heap of work to complete.

Well after long fingering the painting for weeks I finally got stuck in. This is all new to me, I usually build armour that is finished in a single colour, and when I do two colour camo I always apply the second colour freehand by brush. Working with a gloss finish and having to mask bits was a rather daunting. I use Humbrol enamels, and the red was a bit of a problem. Their gloss red (19) is too bright, and the satin red (132) too 'rusty', so I mixed them 50:50 which got a colour that looks close to my ref pics and has a semi gloss finish . When I removed the masking I was relieved to find little bleed through, and more importantly none of the white base coat lifted. Lots of work still to do but I just had to put the wheels on and take some pics! 

pm6RnN8.jpg

aT4dIbE.jpg

h9t0oK5.jpg

• Like 4

After some basic weathering of the chassis it was time to fit the wheels.

As this is the biggest wheeled vehicle I have built I dont have a wheel alignment jig to accommodate it. Not wanting to put too much effort into a jig I may never need again I dug around in the workshop and found some likely looking offcuts.

Screwed a bit of skirting to a bit of 6 x 1 after first drilling detents in the skirting to align with the hubs, thus ensuring the tyres were flat against the wood. This gave me a flat base and a 'wall' at 90 degrees to it.

I was then able to glue up one side at a time, leaning the model against the skirting board, with a wedge underneath the base wood to provide an incline and another bit of scrap timber applying some pressure from the opposite side.

H6Pi66k.jpg

KiMoPMW.jpg

lDgUiA9.jpg]

Edited by Kiwidave4
  • Like 4

Stating the obvious, but that is one hugely impressive firetruck! 

I wonder just how impressive it would be to be granted the opportunity to sit behind the wheel of something monstrous in size like that. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, mbdesignart said:

Your jig just goes to prove all those doubters wrong who say "saving bits of wood is daft", well done. Like the subtle weathering on the tyres.

Thanks. Yes a scrap bin is always handy, the problem is I have so much stuff that might 'come in handy' I often forget where it is, or even if I still have it!  LOL

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
9 hours ago, phildagreek said:

Looks very good, any more progress?

Hope to get some pics up tomorrow. I have been slogging away but had a real struggle with the windows. The kit does not include injection formed glazing, just printed templates and a piece of clear sheet. If I had just taken a good look at them when I started the build I could have realised that the lack of positive location and the limited access would be a recipe for disaster. However after several attempts and lots of scrap clear sheet (!) I have finally got them in place, though they dont have that gleaming transparency I see on the cars that get posted on BM.

Not a very good day for photography, bit grey, but heres some shots of the beast. Cab windows fitted, doors fitted, and some subtle weathering to the cabs.

Next is to weather the tanker body, and then fit it to the chassis. Once that is done I will be able to fit the foam monitor, then there is a lot of detail paint touch up

after which all the small detail like rear view mirrors, tank fillers, etc, can be fitted. Could have this done by Easter!

RqNEj8e.jpg

960v0cU.jpg

9mvJKbC.jpg

• Like 2

While playing around this afternoon I assembled some of the bits to give myself a peek at the finished item so thought I would share a pic. Its missing the tank filler caps and the front spotlight as they are so fragile I dont like messing with them.

ZLnieyR.jpg

• Like 1