B-25 STGB Chat

Skids

I will actually be joining you once the M3/M4 Medium Tank STGB ends.....That damn Mitchell's been taking up space I just can't spare for far too long now (then there's the three plus in the stash, whatever was I thinking).  ;)

• Like 1

No worries, build em all :lol:

I keep looking at the new Airfix one!! Luckily I don't venture into 72nd so saved me a few pennies

Edited by Skids
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

I'm a Trackhead & Wargamer.....What in god's name did I ever think I'd need four plus Mitchells for?  :doh:

And let's not mention the B-29 or the BV.222.  :whistle:

I'm an aircraft modeller.  So why do I have nearly two dozen AFV kits in The Stash?

Just go with it... :) 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Ok chaps this GB is go.

I look forward to seeing all your builds, some nice options appearing with hopefully more to come.

Thanks for supporting this GB. 

Simon

On 06/04/2018 at 4:57 AM, PhantomBigStu said:

any deviations I need to note from the airfix instructions? 

Probably not, the Mitchell II is the RAF equivalent to Airfix's American variant.  I think Airfix are even re-releasing it in a Mitchell II boxing at some point.

Quick question folk's,Dermo sent me a set of decal's from the Italeri kit for a D-Day marked aircraft,I dont have and cant find the painting insruction's

for that kit but as opposed to Frog's call out of an all green upper colour the box art show's earth/green.Would that scheme still be in use as late as

June 1944?

4 hours ago, stevej60 said:

Quick question folk's,Dermo sent me a set of decal's from the Italeri kit for a D-Day marked aircraft,I dont have and cant find the painting insruction's

for that kit but as opposed to Frog's call out of an all green upper colour the box art show's earth/green.Would that scheme still be in use as late as

June 1944?

I think they were supplied in US olive drab over neutral grey.

Phil

• Like 1

17 hours ago, shatters said:

I think they were supplied in US olive drab over neutral grey.

Phil

They were orginally delivered in OD over NG, but there is some consternation over the colours as the RAF repainted them in RAF green and Medium Sea Grey after maintenance which was also a semi gloss. there was also a mix of green used on some units where RAF green wasnt avaliable. There was a colour conundrum by Paul Lucas in SAM a couple of months back which explained all.

I had better dig out my Revell solid nose one out and make a  start I suppose. Almost forgotten about this GB.  I'll also need to get some decals from CanMilair for my build which will need a few mods.  Deleting top turret for one...

• Like 1

I want to build a French Mitchell Mk.III from 342 (French) Sqn, 2nd TAF,..... I`ve seen photos of them with names on the nose and Cross of Lorraine crests on the nose, which were applied immediately post war but I`ve never seen any serial tie ins for these aircraft,..... also,... I have seen photos where the codes appear grey and others where they appear red,..... does anybody know any details for sure?

I personally believe that the codes were red and that post war many had the nose code altered with a white shadow,... I`d love to hear what others think or know!

Image result for MITCHELL 342 sqn french

boston-1.jpg

Cheers

Tony

• Like 1

Hi Tony,

I remember an old matchbox kit with a french air force as decal option.

Maybe someone has it in his/her stash 

Cheers,

Joseph

• Like 1

According to scalemates the matchbox B-25 carries the decal option for

1. North American B-25 Mitchell Mk.III
    FR Military Forces Aériennes Françaises Libres (Free French Air Force 1940-1945)
    342 Lorraine Sqn.

So as Joseph says maybe someone will have them going spare

This may be a silly question but I was looking at buying some Red Letter decals for my B-25.

At BigH they have X48048 RAF WWll 48"x30"x6" bomber squadron code letters and numbers. 

Would this be the correct sheet?

Having some problems finding photos of the particular b-25 I have chosen due to is serial no of fw189, can guess what google results that yields, trying to find which of the cowling choices and windscreens required, and also if its US OD/NG paint or RAF Dk Grn/MSG

Edited by PhantomBigStu

I have been amassing images and stuff on B-25s. Do you have any other info like Sqn or code letters? Can have a look through my pics

6 minutes ago, Skids said:

Cheers, I’ll assume it is, though the decals are dated post d-day with the stripes so could be different, also gives me the option of omitting the stripes. And I can just make which screen and and cowling needed

A question about Interior colors :

Hasegawa states all over Interior Green, this thread

leads to the idea of Dull Dark green cockpit, Yellow Zinc primer for everything else except the bomb bay which is painted aluminium, but his

http://www.ipmsstockholm.org/magazine/2004/02/stuff_eng_interior_colours_us_part2.htm

goes to approve both variants more or less!

Now I'm getting confused...

2 hours ago, Christer A said:

A question about Interior colors :

Hasegawa states all over Interior Green, this thread

leads to the idea of Dull Dark green cockpit, Yellow Zinc primer for everything else except the bomb bay which is painted aluminium, but his

http://www.ipmsstockholm.org/magazine/2004/02/stuff_eng_interior_colours_us_part2.htm

goes to approve both variants more or less!

Now I'm getting confused...

Thanks for this i shall have to some re-painting of my C/D version.