F-4G Desert Storm

ted15

Hello, after the initial attack some F-4Gs changed weapon loads to AGM-45 Shrikes and Mavericks. Question is did they can single Mavs on lau 127s or twos on lau-88s. cheers mick

Having several books from about time period, I have just had a look through them. I cannot find any pictures in these of the F-4G carrying either Shrikes or Mavericks, but some of the written words say this.

In the Detail and Scale book about U.S. Aircraft and Armament of Op Desert Storm it says "that for a short time period during the war, AGM-45 Shrike anti radiation missiles replaced the HARM. It is also reported that F-4Gs of the 52nd RFW, while operating out of Incirlik, expended a few Maverick missiles during the war. If this is true the Mavericks would have been carried on the inboard wing pylons. The total number of Mavericks fired by these aircraft did not exceed 50." From this I would think that it would have been only 1 per pylon.

In the Gulf War Debrief it mentions that "Shrikes were used in stead of HARMs for a few days, but this stopped once units in the field were able to educate higher headquarters about HARM capabilities, convincing them that the missiles were not being wasted". This book does not mention anything about Mavericks being used by F-4Gs, but was written not long after the war had finished and not all the info about the war had come to light. Some still has not.

Hope that this is of some help.

• 1 month later...

The Speedhunter Graphics F-4G sheet has schemes from the Gulf War that flew the Maverick sorties....

D

I have this sheet and didn't think of looking at it. Good spot.

No probs Jabba - glad I could in some small way repay all the Telic F.3 help :)

Also, I have the feeling one of the Maverick Armed jets on the Speedhunter sheet had the One Piece Windscreen, so that may just need a quick check.

But yeah, I have the sheet because it has 69-7211 on the sheet, which was a former RAAF F-4E... So I'm going to do 69-7211 as an F-4E in RAAF colours, then 69-7211 as a post-Gulf War F-4G and sit them side by side - see if anyone notices the similarities! While USAF stuff ISN'T really my thing, the Speedhunter stuff I have (the SEAD Phantoms and the F-16 sheet with the Have Glass jets) are just top notch - kind of the 'Air Force' equivalent of Fightertown Decals.

Dan