Best 1/48 A10 Warthog kit?

Hey, I'm new to these forums :)

I was looking online for an A10 'Hog' (1/48) to add to my stash, but came across five or so different models. They all seemed to have their good and bads (e.g. no detail; no access panels; bad decals etc...).

I have no idea which one to get. Money is not an issue, and I want to model it being heavily maintained, therefore, I want as many access panels as possible. If the engine's cowling can be opened, then a detailed engine would be nice. I also want a detailed cockpit.

I don't care what the decals are like because I will probably get aftermarket ones.

Please can any of you give your opinion on which model is best. Please link any detail sets (e.g. engine or cockpit) for one in your answer.

Would that 1:1 scale Hog be at the Bentwaters museum, by-any-chance?

I may have to make a trip to see it, once it's fit for Public Eyes....

Cheers.

Chris.

PS: I believe that True Details do a resin cockpit (good, fairly cheap) and so do Aires (very good, but a bit pricey).

I think this question has been asked three or four times in the past two years or so, so a bit of googling "1/48 A-10 britmodeller" will give you a couple of results with some fairly in-depth discussion.

There are four "legacy" kits, released when the Hog was new, namely Tamiya, Esci (one of Esci's better early 1/48 kits, I think), Revell and Monogram. Italeri did a new tool some 10 or so years ago, and I think there's also one by HobbyBoss. This is just for your basic choices. I'm not quite sure, but I think the Revell legacy kit has somehow evaded a verdict in the past discussions.

After asking the same question, I went for the Hobby Boss one. I like the great fit of Hobby Boss, and with some Eduard PE it should build up very well.

tempestfan, on 31 May 2016 - 06:17 AM, said:

I think this question has been asked three or four times in the past two years or so, so a bit of googling "1/48 A-10 britmodeller" will give you a couple of results with some fairly in-depth discussion.

There are four "legacy" kits, released when the Hog was new, namely Tamiya, Esci (one of Esci's better early 1/48 kits, I think), Revell and Monogram. Italeri did a new tool some 10 or so years ago, and I think there's also one by HobbyBoss. This is just for your basic choices. I'm not quite sure, but I think the Revell legacy kit has somehow evaded a verdict in the past discussions.

That's because the Revell kit is the Monogram plastic in a different box :)

The general consensus is that the Revellogram has the best shape, and the TrumpyBoss is the most modern in terms of antenna fit etc. The Italeri is a rework of the ESCI moulds. Any one of them can be made into a good 'Hog with enough modelling skills and aftermarket ;)

Err, no, it isn't, at least it wasn't in the beginning. The Revell kit was released in 1979 - at least that's on the box of my example of H-4503 right in front of me - under the semi-dramatic Name of "jAWS" and predates the Mono kit for 3 or four years or so. Rv. and Mono were still a couple of years from being united. And no, I'm not confusing this with the Esci kit which Revell distributed on the Continent at least at the same time in a co-branded box (creating in-house competition, just like they did with the Esci F-16 and 18). I guess (but never bothered to explore further) that the "Grey" boxing also still contained the Revell kit. True, "blue" boxings by Revell contain Mono plastic (Italeri too?). Revell and Monogram had tools of the major US combat types of the mid 70s to early 80s (F-4J, F-14, 15, 16, 18, A-10), and I think the only instance where Revell chose their own tool over Monogram's for any issue after the unification is the F-16.

Edited by tempestfan

Err, no, it isn't, at least it wasn't in the beginning. The Revell kit was released in 1979 - at least that's on the box of my example of H-4503 right in front of me - under the semi-dramatic Name of "jAWS" and predates the Mono kit for 3 or four years or so. Rv. and Mono were still a couple of years from being united. And no, I'm not confusing this with the Esci kit which Revell distributed on the Continent at least at the same time in a co-branded box (creating in-house competition, just like they did with the Esci F-16 and 18). I guess (but never bothered to explore further) that the "Grey" boxing also still contained the Revell kit. True, "blue" boxings by Revell contain Mono plastic (Italeri too?). Revell and Monogram had tools of the major US combat types of the mid 70s to early 80s (F-4J, F-14, 15, 16, 18, A-10), and I think the only instance where Revell chose their own tool over Monogram's for any issue after the unification is the F-16.

Correct.

My favourite kit is the Hobby Boss kit,

To join in, the Tamiya kit goes together well the first time you try. Lots of weapon options, ladder down or up. It is showing it's age but then who isn't? Available on eBay in the UK for less than £20. (Don't tell her, I got one the other day.)

Hobby Boss is nice too, both versions they offer build nice & look good, more expensive though.

The Italeri one is currently on my workbench & is very good. The main complaint from people seems to be the box says it's a "C" version but inside it's an "A", wrong cockpit & bumps on the outside in the wrong place. They do their own (separate) detail kit to show an engine pod open, but these are hard-ish to get hold of.

They all benefit from aftermarket. Cockpit, seat, weapons, photo etch. Verlinden do an upgrade set for the Tamiya to show open panels, (other upgrades are available). Where do you stop? How much can you spend? How many rivets do you want to count?

Enjoy your (eventual) 'Hog.

Thanks for all of your replies, much appreciated.

Sorry for not replying to any posts because I have been away for the past few days.

I'll probably end up buying the hobbyboss kit with the Aires detail sets and Avionics cockpit.

Cheers :))