Airfix 1/72 Chinook - IFOR Double Exposure

This is my recent entry into the Helicopter GB. It is the Airfix 1/72 Chinook

RAF Chinook ZA704 EJ "Double Exposure" of 1310 Flight, Divulje Barracks, Nr Split, Croatia 1996.

As mentioned in my WiP the build was quite fun. The kit, like many Airfix kits of it's era, went together pretty well. However it was lacking in some detail and is not entirely accurate. I am happy with the outcome though and it fills the gap in my collection for a Chinook. The decals are by Model Alliance and they were superb.

Thank you for looking and please leave any questions or comments you may have.

9bff6842d80adf26b57f58a127efd9dd_zpsn2cz

eac115ec1d7365d18eb04f0a630cf2e1_zpsii2i

9f0d5376e5a5e290e1e52d4f5f05db96_zpsbqqk

• Like 34

Lovely work, and as already pointed out the green looks perfect.

Does the Airfix kit have raised or recessed panel lines?

Eng

• Like 1

Thank you all for the comments.

I'll check my photos but I'm sure I've flown on the same cab, cracking build fella, looks just right to me.

Dan

Let me know what you find!

Lovely work, and as already pointed out the green looks perfect.

Does the Airfix kit have raised or recessed panel lines?

Eng

The panel lines are recessed. They are quite deep like Airfix kits from this period.

Nothing wrong with this Chinook. If it looks like a Chinook, it must be one!

Great paint job.

Congrats

JR

• Like 2

I think 704 was out there when I was there in 2000. Fun times! Is this the Italeri reboxing? It looks excellent!

I believe it is. It is no where near the worst kit I've built, maybe we are just spoilt with the modern stuff!

• 5 weeks later...

Nice looking Chinook you have done a great job with an old kit and the paint work looks spot on.

Guy

• Like 1

Can I ask, what green have you used? It looks spot on to me. Always struggle to find a decent match.

I primed with Stynylrez, then preshaded with Tamiya black. I then did a base coat of Tamiya olive drab, however I wasn't happy with the tone. I put a layer of thinned Vallejo US Dark Green on top, the outcome was more luck than science!

Nice looking Chinook you have done a great job with an old kit and the paint work looks spot on.

Guy

Thanks, much appreciated!

That's a very nice finish. As has been said, if it looks like what it's meant to be, it is. I doubt if any manufacturer will be able to produce a 100% accurate shrunk down model, there has to be a compromise somewhere.

Mark

• Like 1

Thanks for the comments everyone.

Now that's a tidy Chinook! Fantastic job there! I had the Echo Victor boxing (the granby Chinook) Airfix released, and would love to get my hands on another one down the line. You've done it far better justice than I did, though!

Daryl.

Was it the same kit? The decal set i bought has a Granby scheme in them, I was very tempted, however i didn't want to attempt scratch building the sand filters.

Thanks for the comments everyone.

Was it the same kit? The decal set i bought has a Granby scheme in them, I was very tempted, however i didn't want to attempt scratch building the sand filters.

This

upsrPHd.jpg

was the boxing I had. The paint scheme almost drove me mad, and it still turned out half as good as yours! Mine was straight OOB so I didn't bother with sand filters. I've got the Italeri MH-47, which might satisfy my Chinook needs for now, but after seeing yours, I definitely need to add another Brit Chinook to the collection!

Daryl

• Like 1