Snowspeeder GR.1 of 9 Sqn RAF

This is what happens when I have a free weekend for the first time in ages, a Revell Snowspeeder kit that I picked up for £6 with the aim of practising some airbrush and weathering techniques, and a pile of surplus decal sheets I'd recently sorted through.

RAF_Snowspeeder-2_zpsvnsvd5qx.jpg

RAF_Snowspeeder-6_zpspufako5i.jpg

RAF_Snowspeeder-15_zpsf0fyw9j7.jpg

Decals are mainly from 1/48 Gnat and 1/72 Vulcan. Yes, you can probably nitpick the realism of this scheme or the appropriateness of the serial, but given the subject matter I think we can probably suspend our collective disbelief a little!

The kit claims to be 1/52, apparently on the basis that the full-size filming prop was about 5.3m long. It may well have been, but I suspect that, like a lot of props, it wasn't really 'full size' or properly proportioned. From the crew figures, this kit is more like 1/72 or even smaller scale. As a kit it is very easy to assemble, and in fact it lends itself to doing the top, rear and underside (the latter only a single part) separately; I assembled and painted them, and only put them all together for the final stages of weathering.

Finally, here she is blatting through the Mach Loop:

RAF_Snowspeeder_Flight_zpsk5w3zmwc.jpg

• Like 13

Like it.

Got any more?

One of my friends has asked if I'll be doing a Luftwaffe Tie Fighter next. It's a thought...

• Like 1