56th Fighter Group M Colour

lampie

For those of you with an interest in the colour of the 61st FS P-47M's.

One of these is a piece from an RAF Lancaster, painted RAF Night.

The other is from a 61st FS P-47M.

I'll just leave this here a while.

image_zpsetzaxy9s.jpeg

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

maybe the picture, maybe aged paint....

'Night' is not plain black though.

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/51600-nightfighter-night-colour/

Without getting into the question of the Mosquito nightfighter colours, which is complex, 'Night' was a mix of carbon black and ultramarine. Exactly the same combination of pigments used by the Japanese Navy to paint the blue-black Zero cowlings, so Japanese "cowling colour" is a good option.

Ultramarine is a very strong and bright blue but there are two common pigments for it - synthetic Ultramarine which is a deep, very bright cobalt blue and natural Ultramarine which is a lighter, more greyish blue. Unfortunately I don't know which pigment was used in the RAF mix. The easiest Humbrol mix to compromise would be something like one part 25 to four parts 85.

Some sources mention that the Ultramarine was added only to improve the paint and did not alter the colour but all I can say is that anyone who believes that has never mixed ultramarine and black! Some suggest "dark grey" or even "gunmetal" but I would not choose those and personally I think the Defiant model cited above looks wrong. I think the description 'Night' is spot on - and that is another clue - why would the AM need to call plain black paint 'Night'? The colour needs to have a blue element to it.

Nick

HTH
T
  • Like 1