1/144 Roden British Airways Vickers Super VC10

Another plane from the late 70s and early eighties. When this arrived a few weeks ago I just had to start it straight away and, for me, it has been a very quick build.

It was built, more or less, out of the box, I even used the kit drains, antennae and pitots although I may replace these with scratch built versions at some point. One addition I have made is the two small leading edge fences which are missing from the kit.

I wish I had sanded off the door rain gutters as I think they are too low. This only came to light when I came to place the door outline decals. So I shortened the decals rather than sanding off the rain gutters and respraying the fuselage. If you are using the kit decals this won't be a problem.

Decals are from 26 with Authentic Airliners BAC 1-11 windows. They are the same shape and pretty much the same size as far as I can tell. Would be nice if Werner could do a cockpit decal for the VC10 too!

I love this kit and can't wait to get many more!

35542788852_6afbf1d5b1_o.jpg

35711378415_aa60629533_o.jpg

34870075894_145f8738d7_o.jpg

34870076914_ff069a598e_o.jpg

34870077194_596ca9feef_o.jpg

Thanks for looking, hope you like it!

Cheers,

Ian

Edited by Turbofan
Reuploaded images
  • Like 69

What a beauty Ian.

I have one on approach and can't wait to get my hands on it. Hopefully when I finally get around to mine it will be somewhere near as good as your model.

The memory of these fabulous looking aircraft carrying out the noise abatement take off procedures at Ringway is one that has lasted longer than any other aircraft movement before or since.

Thanks for sharing.

Chris.

I don't like building kits with decal windows, but the more I see these decals the more I like them! Can't wait to get a VC-10, you've done a superb job on this.

I spent my afternoon building this Roden kit too. Had an issue with the nose cone - not sure if I have it on sideways or upside down, but it doesn't look right.

Great job here Ian - gotta love the most elegant of all airliners.

Cheers,

Mike

Simply excellent !

:thumbsup2: :thumbsup2:

Brings back happy memories of seeing these in Johannesburg in the late 70s / early 80s en route to the Seychelles, after having just arrived from London.

Ian a great completed kit. Subtle weathering - always difficult on a 144 airliner I find. I am halfway through the same kit and going to use the EAA decals, not sure if I need to add those small additional wing fences like you did? Any way great job, John

Gorgeous build of a gorgeous plane in a gorgeous livery :)

Got the African boxing and having already done the BA Super using the Airfix kit, quite fancy doing in the box decals.

Thanks for sharing, not too many of these around at the moment

Vince1159, the three BOAC hijack victims were G-ASGN, GO and 'GR, of which the irst two were destroyed by the hijackers. 'GR became ZD243 on sale to the RAF but was never converted to K Mk. 4 standard, instead being ferried to Filton for spares recovery before being scrapped in 1993. I find this strange as 'GR was the youngest VC-10 in the programme and ZD235, formerly G-ASGF, had been involved in a heavy landing, yet was converted and was retired early by the RAF.

Edited by stever219
  • Like 1

Vince1159, the three BOAC hijack victims were G-ASGN, GO and 'GR, of which the irst two were destroyed by the hijackers. 'GR became ZD243 on sale to the RAF but was never converted to K Mk. 4 standard, instead being ferried to Filton for spares recovery before being scrapped in 1993. I find this strange as 'GR was the youngest VC-10 in the programme and ZD235, formerly G-ASGF, had been involved in a heavy landing, yet was converted and was retired early by the RAF.

Thanks Steve what i found was she was hijacked in Nov' 74 (Dubai/Tripoli/Tunis),i have GN and GO in 1:200th (whispers 'diecast') but there was no damage report which made me wonder if she flew again in this Negus livery...

I like all these VC10 models. You've done a good job. Correct on the 1-11 PAX windows, pretty sure they're the same size, certainly wouldn't look out of place in 1/144th.

The Queen's Jet. 'SGR Hijacked in 1974. Scrapped at Abingdon 1992 in these colours. I have SGR's Flight Engineers Throttle Quadrant ,I asked the scrappers if I could have it,took ages the hacksaw through the control tubes with only a 4 inches of movement..be quick,they said ! I was sweating halfbricks. Its belly on the concrete,sad sight.

Well done,thanks for showing.

• Like 1

Very, very nice build.

Beautifully presented and photographed too, a very elegant looking jet.

Eng

Thanks bzn20: that'll teach me to believe Wikipedia! (And rely on a criminally leaky memory like mine.)

Parts of it did escape,not sure what and where they ended up. Some parts went into the RAF stores system. There was another failed Super on the K4 contract ,that ended up on Filton's "Palm Beach". Thats their scrap compound across the airfield opposite the Brabazon Hangar. I can't remember exactly but about four ex BA VC10s died at RAF Abingdon 92/93.

Could have been Miami Beach on reflection! that was early 90s

Edited by bzn20
  • Like 1