Airfix Gloster Javelin FAW9 XH903 1/48

Hello all

One of my recent completions, the marvellous Gloster Javelin from Airfix. I did this one in the scheme of XH903, which is on display at the Jet Age Museum not far from me, here in Gloucestershire. I did offer to donate this to the museum to sit alongside some of the other models they have on display there, but no response at all from them, which was disappointing. Anyhow, this beast just manages to squeeze onto my display shelf, so at least it's on display somewhere.

This is quite a heavy kit when done, with a fair bit of nose weight required, so I thought it was worth getting a metal undercarriage set from SAC. Also tried scratchbuilding seat harnesses from Tamiya tape for the first time as there aren't any supplied with the kit's seats. Airbrushed in a mix of Tamiya and Mr Hobby acrylics, weathered with some oils and Flory Dark Dirt wash. Posed it with everything open just to show all that lovely detail.

My only complaint would be the quality of the decals, the roundels in particular wouldn't settle nicely into the panel lines despite repeated attacks of Microsol - any other issues were of my own making. Overall though a great kit and a pleasure to build.

Thanks for looking

Adam

IMG_1901_zpsd2cdqnd6.jpg

IMG_1904_zpst502xsqr.jpg

IMG_1903_zpswyvwjcr5.jpg

IMG_1910_zpsx5hijqgm.jpg

IMG_1913_zpsf5qdhfxi.jpg

IMG_1905_zpsgz1jhzjl.jpg

IMG_1918_zpsboigvrsh.jpg

IMG_1919_zpsmohf7lk9.jpg

IMG_1907_zpsoflbfzko.jpg

IMG_1816_zpskvnrbcpv.jpg

• Like 27

Hi Adam,

this is an impressive masterpiece of a really impressive jet!

For the museum not to grab this offer is ridiculous, but you should be real proud to display this Javelin at home!

Congratulations

JR

• Like 1

Thanks for all the kind comments, much appreciated.

Did the decals also refuse to stick and folded over at the first opportunity? Airfix decals went through a bad patch, my early noughties 1/72 Hunter 20 squadraon decals were horrible.

Yep, a lot of the smaller ones wouldn't stay put no matter what expletives I aimed at them!

• Like 1

Lovely job. I'm starting to really really want one now !

:goodjob:

Cheers

Gaz

Thanks Gaz - go for it, you won't be disappointed!

Hello,Adam - My full compliments to you on a beautiful looking build of your 'Javelin'.I love the quality of the finishing work and restrained weathering.Superb work indeed.I have this kit waiting in the wings and your build has inspired me to move her up the assembly order! ;) All the best,Paul.

• Like 1

Superb Javelin, surprised the museum didn't want it! Models on display at air museums are rarely of this quality!

Odd about the decals, I've not had any problems with Airfix decals since they farmed out the printing to Cartograf a few years ago. All those vortex generators do make for a uniquely challenging decal application though...

• Like 1

Lovely job of the Javelin sir.

I made the old frog / novo 1/72 one as a nipper, at 1/48 it must be a big kit when it's built.

Very tempted to ask Santa for it at Christmas, any thing I should consider when building it, decals notwithstanding ?

Cheers Pat

• Like 1

Thanks again for all the kind comments.

Superb Javelin, surprised the museum didn't want it! Models on display at air museums are rarely of this quality!

Odd about the decals, I've not had any problems with Airfix decals since they farmed out the printing to Cartograf a few years ago. All those vortex generators do make for a uniquely challenging decal application though...

One good thing about the decals was that the upper wing roundels had gaps cut out of them to accommodate the vortex generators - they were a perfect fit, although there is another 'nobble' (technical term) just forward of them that was problematic.

One of the museum's volunteers on here got in touch via a PM. He hadn't heard about my inital offer of a donation, but kindly explained why they wouldn't be accepting it.

Lovely job of the Javelin sir.

I made the old frog / novo 1/72 one as a nipper, at 1/48 it must be a big kit when it's built.

Very tempted to ask Santa for it at Christmas, any thing I should consider when building it, decals notwithstanding ?

Cheers Pat

Pat - nothing I can think of, everything goes together really well and there weren't any nasty surprises. Just make sure your display shelves are big enough - the wheels just squeezed onto my 250mm shelf - get it on your Christmas wish list and be a good boy until December!

• Like 1