Problem with decals on surface a with dual curvature

John R

I have just tried to apply a decal to the fuselage of a Convair XF-92A and could not get it to settle without wrinkling. The fuselage forward of the wing curves in towards the nose inlet and this combined with the curvature of the fuselage cross-section caused the problem. Neither Microsol nor Microset helped.

If I smoothed it out longitudinally I got creases at the top and bottom. If I tried to smooth it vertically I got creases were the Star met the Bar.

The decals were from Fantasy Printshop.

On another thread it was suggested that Microsol and Microset lose their effectiveness when old.

Can anybody please help? Is the make of decal? Would a stronger setting solution help?

John

Sometimes I find using copious amounts of set & sol over a few days eventually beats the decal into submission.

Sometimes it needs a little cut from a very sharp fresh scalpel blade to help it conform.

I checked with Fantasy Printshop and the reply was that their decals are designed for flat surfaces and will need cutting to adapt to non-flat ones.

I tried making slits in one before wetting and found it very reluctant to leave the backing sheet and broke up. Presumably due to the edges of the slit piece getting stuck in the backing. I then tried slitting once one the model. This 'worked' but the slits are evident although this might improve with practice.