Spitfire PR.Ia N3071 - Airfix 1/72

Probably my last entry for this GB (it's been great - thanks Mods) is a PR.Ia* using the Airfix MkI/IIa kit and Pavla conversion:

27224047395_540e2358c7_c.jpg

Untitled by Ced Bufton, on Flickr

I can't say this is OOB but, apart from the conversion and trying to get the colour right, I'm not planning much else.

The conversion allows three schemes but, of course, I'm doing 'the pink one'.

5a-FirstMissionPRTypeA-medium_zps89b173f

JK%20PR%20I%20pt%201%202.jpg

In the first reconnaissance sortie flown by the Special Survey Flight of the RAF, N3071 flew from Seclin in Northern France and, on 18th December 1939, was piloted by F/L Maurice 'Shorty' Longbottom on it's first mission to photograph fortifications at Aachen.

large.jpg?action=e&cat=photographs

Good job Shorty, I hope to do your mount justice.
Interesting article here on 'Aerial Spies'.
* corrected from Ig!
  • Like 14

There are other threads worth chasing up on the early PR Spitfires, but if you are doing N3701 then it isn't a PR IG, which were later and armed. Neither was it (as I understand it) pink, but either Sky (or rather the original Camotint) or a light grey. Arguably the PRU Pink was only a light grey, off white, or dirty white. These are amongst the descriptions I've seen in different places, but given the way things were being done at the time, the comments could well be applying to different colours.

• Like 1

Thanks Duncan (quick off the mark; 3 minutes after posting!) :)

Thanks Keith :)

Thanks Graham :) I'd corrected the title but not the introduction, now done, thanks.

I thought the colour might come up. There was quite a discussion in my PR IX thread about pinks and in Biggle's 'Dicer' thread too. I have the Hataka PRU set which includes Camotint - it's green, presumably like this model in the Hyperscale forum. Not the most attractive of colours is it? The scheme from Model Alliance Decal sheet says it's camotint (Sky Type 'S'). Oh well, there goes my bottle of specially mixed 'drop of red in a bottle of white'. Perhaps for another time...

• Like 2

Good to see another of your builds !

Regarding the colour scheme, as Graham said this aircraft was not pink but most likely in Camotint. There seem to have been other pink PR Spitfires before the PR.Ig, probably a couple PR.Ic...

In any case the PR.Ia is the very first PR Spit, deserves a model for this reason only

• Like 1

Hi Ced,

I'd just like to advance a brief defence of camotint; I think a Spitfire in this colour overall will subtly focus attention on the beautifully clean shape of the aircraft much more than any of the disruptive pattern camouflage schemes and will make for a very attractive model :pipe:

I might be slightly odd but I would further argue that it is a rather attractive colour :lol:

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 6

Thanks all and welcome!

Giorgio and Stew you are, of course, right - she deserves to be modelled as best I can.

Camotint it is :)

• Like 1

Thanks Keith :)

Just checked the Pavla scheme and it suggests a mix of Humbrol 122/90.

According to a quick search H122 is Israeli Light Blue and discontinued. H90 is Beige Green.

I think I'll use the Hataka Camotint then.

• Like 2

I'll tag along, if I may, Ced, as I have a nearly finished one (it need to do the canopy and the Ventura serial number decals).

I used Humbrol 90 for the Camotint as it's a good match for Sky (Type S), which is what Camotint became (or so I'm lead to believe).

• Like 1

I might be slightly odd but I would further argue that it is a rather attractive colour :lol:

Just slightly? ;)

I concur that it shows off the shape nicely, but it does also look like it's been hidden in a pea-soup factory.

The model shown on Hyperscale looks as though it's had every panel line filled (puttied?) Was that something that happened? I can't say I like the effect, it makes it look very toy-like; were it my choice, I think I'd stick two fingers up at the Muse of accuracy.

• Like 2

Thanks Simon and pleased to have you along :) Any pics of yours?

Thanks Chris and welcome! Pea soup indeed... :D

Just slightly? ;)

I concur that it shows off the shape nicely, but it does also look like it's been hidden in a pea-soup factory.

The model shown on Hyperscale looks as though it's had every panel line filled (puttied?) Was that something that happened? I can't say I like the effect, it makes it look very toy-like; were it my choice, I think I'd stick two fingers up at the Muse of accuracy.

These early Spitfire PR types were one-offs that were the result of a lot of work. Part of the work was filling with putty a good number of panel lines, particularly on the wings, to make the surfaces smoother. How well or not this lends itself to being reproduced in model form is of course debateble... the absence of panel lines may result in a toy-like appearance, on the other hand these were smoother than other Spitfires...

I may add myself to the number of those who find the overall camotint scheme quite pleasing to the eye. The picture below shows one I built many years ago during the final build stages. When I took the picture the model was still missing some decals and the seat and some bits had yet to be painted, but gives a rough idea... kit was the 1970's Airfix Mk.I. I did not fill the panel lines here, apart from those relative to the armament

P1010126.jpg

Edited by Giorgio N
  • Like 8

Thanks Simon and pleased to have you along :) Any pics of yours?

Not at present, Ced, I'm off to Oxford for a day so will do a couple when I get home.

Also, I forgot to mention, watch the Pavla decals... they don't like water.

• Like 2

Thanks Giorgio - your model does look very nice and the Camotint is definitely 'growing on me' - starting to like it.

thanks for the information on filling the panel lines but I think I need more help please - see below.

Thanks Simon - I hope you have a good day in Oxford; lovely place once you've parked.

You had mentioned problems with the Pavla decals before but "they don't like water"?? Yikes - I second Keith's comment! Do you think I need to Decal Film them, or should I soak them in DecalFix rather than water? At least there aren't that many.

I started my introduction with "I can't say this is OOB but, apart from the conversion and trying to get the colour right, I'm not planning much else." Oh hardy har har!

It looks as though my filling and sanding skills are going to be taxed somewhat... Giorgio pointed out the need to "fill the panel lines ... relative to the armament" and some I can work out but I'd like to make sure before I start butchering the plastic.

The top surface is relatively straightforward and I've marked the lines in red that I think I need to fill:

26631622444_047cb29780.jpg

Does the bump go as well? Giorgio's model also has the bumps over the u/c sanded off too?

Now the harder bit. I obviously need to fill the gun access panels and ports and the shell ejector holes but what about the other inspection panels?

26631622364_f5fb1d945c_c.jpg

IMG_6909 by Ced Bufton, on Flickr

Any help appreciated!

I'm planning to use my favourite Humbrol filler on the holes (backed by card) and Mr Dissolved Putty on the lines. Sounds like a plan?

• Like 3

Also (gulp) the Pavla instructions would have me drill two holes for the cameras under the fuselage behind the wing but this reference says the cameras were "... vertically installed in the position formerly occupied by the ammunition boxes which supplied the two inner machine guns on either side". Perhaps I should drill the holes there instead? Or did the Farnborough tests suggest that the fuselage was a better place for them and they were moved before operational use? :hmmm:

... and what's that under the wing in this shot?

JK%20PR%20I%20pt%201%202.jpg

• Like 2

Thanks Ced. We're going by train so no worry about parking.

Talking of trains, I'm on one at the moment so can't access my references, but I think that the PR1 had cameras in the inner gun bays so I left the panel lines there (I assume they'd be used to access the camera) and filled all the other gun-related panel lines and holes.

Here's a link to a good thread (if you haven't already found it): http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234946653-sidney-cottons-spitfires/

Edited by Beard
  • Like 1

Thanks Simon :) Great link and that kept me busy for a while following links all over the 'net... great stuff.

It would seem that N3071 was one of two aircraft first converted to the PR role and designated 'Ia'. They were later converted to Ibs by adding the tank... so I'll leave that out.

I've also properly read Jim Kiker's conversion on Hyperscale and he's very detailed on the panel lines and cameras. He also thanks Edgar for help with references so I think I'll shamelessly plagiarise his work (and some techniques) if I can 'scale them down'.

Thanks Nigel and welcome! :)

• Like 3

Sorry Keith, quite right... I'm wondering about the 'intake like thing' between the roundel and the u/c leg... it's... wait a minute, that's a standard part isn't it:

26969899070_325867b2fd.jpg

Part 7A. Doh! I was put off by its whiteness and it appeared to be 'hanging' from the wing. I'm overthinking again, sorry, I'll get on with it.

What is it by the way? I know the big thing on the other wing is the radiator and the one under the nose the oil cooler but I don't know what this one does?

Just interested...