F-5F by Italeri in 1/72

Tomppa B

Did the nose of the F-5F change in the later versions (like the F-5E)? I know Italeri changed the nose on their F-5E (which was also recently re-issued) some time ago. The original boxings had the early nose, but at one moment, when the "Swiss" boxings appeared, this was changed to the "platypus" nose.

I suppose the F-5F will be the original mould, which has hardly ever been re-issued, contrary to the F-5E.

Did the nose of the F-5F change in the later versions (like the F-5E)?

I understand it was retrofitted (coupled with the enlarged LERXs), yes.

I wonder if one could cut and swap noses between the F-5F and F-5E (shark nose) Italeri kits!?...

Well, one could I'm sure but would they fit? :hmmm:

The F-5F is now out - the LERXs have been enlarged, but the nose shape seems identical to my ancient first-release F-5F.

No sharknose, like Italeri did with the F-5E since the "Swiss Tiger" release. Also, you don't get the Swiss target tow system displayed on the box photo.

The decal sheet is lovely, though. One weird issue, for those who like to use these things, is that you only get one seat belts decal.

Cheers,

Andre

• Like 1

Well, to answer my own question - apparently there is such a thing as a "shark nose" (platypus is cuter) F-5F.

Some F-5F's were defintely fitted with the platypus nose:

http://www.pixstel.com/swiss-air-force-f-5f-tiger_urlb12500.php

However, at least one of the Italeri decal options is of a 'Franken-Tiger' (three built), a combination of the front of old F-5F's combined with the lower timed fuselage and wings of ex-Swiss F-5E's.

These would still have the standard nose, as far as I have been able to gather.

Cheers,

Andre