Russian Liberation Army Messerschmitt Bf 109G-10 of Jasta 5 d. ROA *Completed*

Organised by former Russian General Andrey Vlasov and mostly consisting of Russian POW and anti Communist refugees, it was formed in late 1944 after much lobbying by Vlasov. Around 100,000 men served in the Army, officially called the Armed Forces of the Committee for the Liberation of the Peoples of Russia, however, it would see only minimal action towards the closing stages of WW2. I can find little information on Jasta 5, but around 12 aircraft were stationed at Nemecky Brod airfield from 7th March and were discovered there after the war. What was left of White 15 was photographed among the rubble of a bombed out hangar, but it does show the POA insignia on the tail.

After the war, Vlasov tried to surrender his army to the Western allies, but due to Churchill's agreement with Stalin, any captured Russian soldiers fighting for the Germans were forceably sent back to Russia. Vlasov and several other Generals were hanged in Moscow on 1st August 1946, with most others left to die in work camps. Despite that, sympathetic allied commanders did allow some captured POA men to escape to the West.

I'll be using the very nice Hasegawa kit, with maybe some seatbelts and the aftermarket decals pictured (just for the tail insignia). I need a nice simple build.

P1010007_zpsogq4yxij.jpg

img20160523_21113395_zpsdzp3tcft.jpg

Edited by Brad
  • Like 8

I don't really care if it's highly speculative, because, as with a lot of late war aircraft, if you didn't speculate to some degree, you'd probably never build a model of it. There is evidence the aircraft existed, you can see the marking clearly in the picture along with the fact that white 8, 16 and 24 have been identified in pictures too.

• Like 4

I think there is sufficient evidence that the ROA operated late Bf.109s to allow this build, there is always going to be some degree of speculation on markings are we are basing our work largely on written testimony and black & white photos.

The intent of this GB is to be as inclusive as possible (A Maus is allowed for instance, as the prototypes evacuated Kummersdorf under pressure from the Soviets, forcing them to destroy the one completed example), so not only is your build OK by me, I may just join you in a (somewhat speculative) ROA Hetzer a bit later on. :coolio:

SZHet18Aug07_019.jpg

• Like 3

Nice!

Did you get the decals together with the kit's box?

I don't really care if it's highly speculative, because, as with a lot of late war aircraft, if you didn't speculate to some degree, you'd probably never build a model of it. There is evidence the aircraft existed, you can see the marking clearly in the picture along with the fact that white 8, 16 and 24 have been identified in pictures too.

Indeed!

The question was not about the existence of the aircraft, but about the use of ROA markings all over the aircraft in place of the usual German markings.

JaPo book gives the proof of the presence of the fin flag, and the authors seems to think that this was the only ROA marking present on the aircraft.

I've a similar project, and I think I'll go for full ROA markings, just for a change.

• Like 2

Nice!

Did you get the decals together with the kit's box?

Indeed!

The question was not about the existence of the aircraft, but about the use of ROA markings all over the aircraft in place of the usual German markings.

JaPo book gives the proof of the presence of the fin flag, and the authors seems to think that this was the only ROA marking present on the aircraft.

I've a similar project, and I think I'll go for full ROA markings, just for a change.

Oh no I bought the decals many years ago for $1 at a swap and sell and never got around to building them. I then got the JAPO book a few years later and discovered that the decals were probably incorrect and over that time I've just been gathering a few pictures of their aircraft as and when I find them. White 15 seems to be the only one with the POA fin flash, but I'd like to find one with full POA markings.

While ROA shield replacing swastika on the tail is possible full ROA marking is definitely a work of fantasy. The reason being that such markings would require international registration - in 1944 there was simply not enough time and resources for that.

While ROA shield replacing swastika on the tail is possible full ROA marking is definitely a work of fantasy. The reason being that such markings would require international registration - in 1944 there was simply not enough time and resources for that.

More than possible, it's confirmed for at least one machine. As for the full insignia, well I've only seen pictures of 4 aircraft with one possibly being White 17 but unconfirmed. There were supposedly 15 aircraft, from numbers 10 to 24. It's not impossible, although it's unlikely, that one of the other aircraft wore full insignia as the Russian units were declared not part of the German Army in late January, coming under direct command of the KONR. A detail likely lost to history.

I sense a little hostility on this subject Pin, you're not by any chance Russian, are you?

Broke ground on some painting today. Just the basic RLM 66 from Gunze for the interior colour. I think I have some Eduard seat belts in the stash, I might dig them out tonight.

P1010010_zpsqqkuu4ya.jpg

P1010009_zpsmsserfcd.jpg

• Like 1

More than possible, it's confirmed for at least one machine. As for the full insignia, well I've only seen pictures of 4 aircraft with one possibly being White 17 but unconfirmed. There were supposedly 15 aircraft, from numbers 10 to 24. It's not impossible, although it's unlikely, that one of the other aircraft wore full insignia as the Russian units were declared not part of the German Army in late January, coming under direct command of the KONR. A detail likely lost to history.

I sense a little hostility on this subject Pin, you're not by any chance Russian, are you?

I am indeed of Russian descent so English is not my first language but I can assure you that there is absolutely no hostility here from my side, just a slight difference in opinions based on my interest on the subject.

I am aware that ROA fighter regiment possessed 16 Bf.109 (+2 Bf. 109 in training squadron) however there are no photos known to me that would clearly show ROA shield on the fin of any particular aircraft. I also agree that there are photos where the shield with St.Andrew banner is visible being applied to a part that resembles the tail of Bf.109 but the arguments that this part belongs to "White 15". I understand the reasoning however it is simply not strong enough to persuade me.

As to full KONR markings - the proposals for full insignia were submitted to OKL (Oberkommando der Luftwaffe) but rejected, in my opinion the probability that any plane ever wore these markings is next to zero

• Like 1

If you don't think it's an ROA insignia, or the rear fuselage of a Bf 109, you'd have to come up with two better suggestions of what the marking is and what the tail is off, make a suggestion.

I have the JAPO book and I've looked very closely at the pictures. I can see the same wreckage in the pictures and even the same marks on the wall behind. I have no doubt that the picture taken from afar is of the same tail seen in the more close up shot.

Plugging away tonight. I whacked some seat belts in the cockpit, the shoulder straps I'll add later when I touch up the paint. I haven't done any work on the joins as yet, so you can still see a bit of glue.

P1010011_zpskzgpfbxu.jpg

P1010012_zpsk3rsq1gq.jpg

• Like 4

I put some paint on the prop, spinner and tires with a paint brush while watching some TV tonight. I was planning to use the tail wheel as the profile suggests, but unfortunately it was short shot beyond any real way to fix it, so I just used the extended tail wheel. I think it looks better anyway.

P1010013_zpsfpge4jpe.jpg

• Like 2

Are you serious?

Who did care about international registration in Germany at the end of WW2?

What are you saying, that getting international permission was not at the top of everyones to do list?

• Like 1

A little RLM 76. I might mask and paint a few panels a different colour, perhaps the duck egg green type colour that later war aircraft had. Having a look at the Messerschmitt Bf 109G in the Australian War Memorial, it shows multiple different colours on the undersurface.

Pic_0529_056_zpswrwue4pz.jpg

• Like 1