Academy 1/350 H.M.S. Warspite 1943

Hello Everyone.

Time for a new build while I wait for the bits and pieces I need for the Snowberry to arrive. I have had this kit in the stash since 2011 and I thought it would be good to give an Academy kit a go as I haven't built one of their ships before.

5122b557-d613-40d6-bc7a-4a08cced749e.jpg

I will be using the Pontos Detail Set for this kit all the details of which can be seen here. No use me posting photos here as none of them will be anywhere near as clear and precise as the diagrams etc on the Pontos site.

So I started at the start and glued the hull halves together and the supports. Then I cleaned up the faint mould marks on the hull in the usual places and glued on the wave breakers for the barbette mounted guns. Just after I did that I though they looked a bit chunky..

flower%20g4.jpg

..and wondered if the Pontos set had replacements in it. The short answer is '"Yes" and I quickly removed the plastic ones and bent up the Pontos ones and installed them..

flower%20g5.jpg

After taking the photo I see that one is not align just right so I will have to remove it and glue it again. No problem as CA is brittle and will let you remove stuff pretty easily.. or there is always the debonder..

Anyway, that's it so far. It is so nice to be back using PE for a small scale ship with high quality PE and tiny attachment points which, if you cut them correctly, require little to no clean up. I just have to go through the PE instructions and the instruction sheet for the kit and mark where PE has to be fitted to avoid another wavebreaker episode. :)

Cheers for now

Warren

• Like 5

Time for a quick update.

I decided to go ahead and add the PE catapault which meant removing the original one..

flower%20g3_1.jpg

All gone and the resulting holes filled.

flower%20g7.jpg

Here is the PE flinger base..

flower%20g2_1.jpg

And after attaching the other two decks..

flower%20g6.jpg

Which I might say fit very nicely..

I attached the PE. You need to be careful with this part as this is where the wooden deck butts up to.

Then I did the 6 inch barbettes and managed to make them operable (ie move)..

flower%20g4_1.jpg

I then had a look at the kits 20mm cannons and the gun part is more than adequate, but the shield is way too thick. Luckily the PE set has enough parts to make 30 of the little suckers. Here is the third sheet of PE in the Pontos set..

flower%20g9.jpg

flower%20g1_1.jpg

Lovely etching.

That's it for now.

Cheers
Warren

• Like 2

Now that is nice, how big (or small) are those 20mm mounts on the etch fret? I know the ones for the flower class are pretty small in 1/72 so those must be absolutely tiny!

The ones on my 1/72 Flower are ginormous compared with these ones. I will put one up when it is finished next to the Flower one. I have built hundreds of these mounts over the years and they are all much the same. These ones are the better type though with the brass barrel and mount.

Welcome aboard :)

Warren

good start :popcorn::popcorn:

Welcome aboard mate!

Regards

Warren

Sorry for the tardy replies but I have not been getting any notifications about the replies for some reason. Can anyone think what may be causing this problem?

You never stop! Looks like a good combination.

Must admit, it's the millions of tiny PE Oerlikons that put me off battleships. I've really got to be in the mood. Weird cos they're my favourite modelling subject.

• Like 1

You never stop! Looks like a good combination.

Must admit, it's the millions of tiny PE Oerlikons that put me off battleships. I've really got to be in the mood. Weird cos they're my favourite modelling subject.

Warren the perpetual modelling machine. :)

Thanks Alan.

Oh great more early mornings.

This is a bit of light hearted read.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Witch-Warspite-Dave-Stanley-ebook/dp/B00Q7H4Z38?ie=UTF8&*Version*=1&*entries*=0

Looking forward to another master class.

Hi praise indeed Yorkie. :)

While I'm here I may as well update my progress. First, the catapault in place..

flower%20g1_2.jpg

flower%20g2_2.jpg

The ramps either end will be put in place after the wooden deck is put in position. Here are the 6 inch barrels for the barbette guns..

flower%20g3_2.jpg

I am using these paint sets for this model..

flower%20g4_2.jpg

and

flower%20g5_2.jpg

After I painted the hull with the light grey colour, 507A, I masked her up and shot some 507B Medium Grey on it. There is not a vast contrast between the two greys until the box art.

flower%20g8_1.jpg

flower%20g9_1.jpg

That's it for now. Will give it another coat of the medium grey and take the tape off this afternoon then apply the wooden deck. I have already removed all the pieces from the deck that need to be removed before it is installed.

Cheers

Warren

• Like 2

Thanks Thom.

This kit has been in the stash for at least five years now so I thought I better get her done before I start another marathon build.

Time for an update on today's proceedings in the Inman Hobby Room.

Here is the sprayed hull before the Hull Red is applied.

flower%20g1_3.jpg

Contrast looks just about right now. :) Then while I was preparing to apply the wooden deck disaster happened..

flower%20g2_3.jpg

Yes a small knobby bit disappeared into the ether. I replaced it with this temporarily..

flower%20g8_2.jpg

Don't worry it will be changed out a bit later. Then I started applying the three -piece wooden deck..

flower%20g4_3.jpg

flower%20g5_3.jpg

flower%20g6_2.jpg

Next was the breakwater here just sitting and testing if I had the bend angles right..

flower%20g7_2.jpg

Then with the braces in place..

flower%20g9_2.jpg

Then I masked the hull up again and sprayed the hull red..

flower%20g11.jpg

flower%20g12_1.jpg

flower%20g13_1.jpg

Then I got into fitting the resin gun tubs..

flower%20g14.jpg

flower%20g15.jpg

Each will eventually have its very own 20mm oerlikon.

And that's it for now.
Cheers
Warren

If any moderators are reading this I am not receiving update message. Any ideas why?

• Like 4

I am also in a Longggggggg process of building the old girl on another forum, its a fantastic kit that so lends itself to subtle alterations :goodjob:

WM.

Can you tell me where your blog is?

• Like 1

Hi mate I built this a while ago as with every academy kit I've built it goes together very well (obviously I'm nowhere near you skillset) can't wait to see what you do with it, looking great so far.

Hi mate I built this a while ago as with every academy kit I've built it goes together very well (obviously I'm nowhere near you skillset) can't wait to see what you do with it, looking great so far.

I am sure yours will look just as good as mine KP.

Am I allowed to link it here?

WM

Send me a PM of you are not sure WM.

Masking up ready to spray the boot top..

flower%20g2_4.jpg

flower%20g1_4.jpg

Cheers

Warren

• Like 2

Thanks Thom.

This kit has been in the stash for at least five years now so I thought I better get her done before I start another marathon build.

Time for an update on today's proceedings in the Inman Hobby Room.

Here is the sprayed hull before the Hull Red is applied.

flower%20g1_3.jpg

Contrast looks just about right now. :) Then while I was preparing to apply the wooden deck disaster happened..

flower%20g2_3.jpg

Yes a small knobby bit disappeared into the ether. I replaced it with this temporarily..

flower%20g8_2.jpg

Don't worry it will be changed out a bit later. Then I started applying the three -piece wooden deck..

flower%20g4_3.jpg

flower%20g5_3.jpg

flower%20g6_2.jpg

Next was the breakwater here just sitting and testing if I had the bend angles right..

flower%20g7_2.jpg

Then with the braces in place..

flower%20g9_2.jpg

Then I masked the hull up again and sprayed the hull red..

flower%20g11.jpg

flower%20g12_1.jpg

flower%20g13_1.jpg

Then I got into fitting the resin gun tubs..

flower%20g14.jpg

flower%20g15.jpg

Each will eventually have its very own 20mm oerlikon.

And that's it for now.

Cheers

Warren

If any moderators are reading this I am not receiving update message. Any ideas why?

Looking good - did you sand down the plastic deck prior to fitting the wood decking? i did this as it ensures a uniform bond and places it at the right hight on the deck.

WM

• Like 2

Hello WM.

I have applied many of these decks and all I do is remove the lumpy bits not required and then give it a coat of paint for it to stick to. Never had one peel off yet. :)

But thanks for taking the effort to pass on your advice. :)

Thanks again

Warren

• Like 1

I got the old girl all masked up and shot the boot top..

flower%20g1_5.jpg

flower%20g2_5.jpg

flower%20g3_5.jpg

Bit of a pain due to the shape of the hull and the moulded on bits but it wasn't too hard.

Cheers
Warren

• Like 1

Hello WM.

I have applied many of these decks and all I do is remove the lumpy bits not required and then give it a coat of paint for it to stick to. Never had one peel off yet. :)

But thanks for taking the effort to pass on your advice. :)

Thanks again

Warren

No problem at all.

WM

I got the old girl all masked up and shot the boot top..

flower%20g1_5.jpg

flower%20g2_5.jpg

flower%20g3_5.jpg

Bit of a pain due to the shape of the hull and the moulded on bits but it wasn't too hard.

Cheers

Warren

I remeber this stage with my boot line, I had to do mine with small runs of tape due to the Torpedo bulge and all the bilge pumps, I extended the line further up as my Warspite is being built to disp[lay her at Dunkirk in June 1944, she was sitting lower in the water - possibly more weight? so they made her boot line wider from 6ft to near 10ft wide.

WM.