Alternative AFV forums

thepureness

As much as I love britmodeller, AFV modelers seem to be overwhelmed by the aircraft peeps

Does anyone know of any alternative and active forums for AFV modelers, I'm new to AFV modelling

If you are on Facebook there are a multitude of modelling pages which range from the 'all genre' to the one vehicle specific. There are also a lot of very useful reference pages, again ranging from vehicle specific, ie Centurion, to very broad, ie Russian Military Vehicles.

I have been a Missing Lynx member for about 15 years, and it is still my preferred 'go to' when in need of vehicle specific help. However these days the traffic seems to be dwindling, no doubt in part because of Facebook.

I pop in and out of armorama, which is very informative but I find it a bit too rivet counting for my likes, some good models / modellers on it though for inspiration.

As much as I love britmodeller, AFV modelers seem to be overwhelmed by the aircraft peeps

Does anyone know of any alternative and active forums for AFV modelers, I'm new to AFV modelling

My first instinct (after I'd stopped crying) was to tell you to make the forum what you'd like it to be by being a more prolific poster in the AFV area, and inviting your pals to join you. Then I thought about what's around the corner. :hmmm:

Pretty soon you'll be able to tune out any genre that doesn't suit you when we upgrade to the new forums software, so no-one's preferred genre has to play second fiddle to the aircraft. be patient, and we'll even provide a menu item that allows you to show your own genre specific content stream :frantic: Hell, you can even make up your own Content stream if you like AFVs, Sci-Fi and chat... no problem. If you just like Nigel Heath and Duncan B's chunnerings, you can set yourself up a stream that just contains only their pearls of wisdom, you mad fool! :mental: It would be easier to follow them of course, but I think you get the jist. Power and customisation are the watchwords for the new forum :)

• Like 2

Can I say, as an AFV modeller, that I dont want to tune out other genres, and I dont feel overwhelmed by the wingy thingy brigade as I am interested in aircraft. In fact I also visit the car forum quite often, and when I want to feel really bad about my lack of modelling skills I even take a look at the ship models!

I dont really go along with the genre thing. I started modelling by building card models of anything that took my fancy, since then I have built flying model aircraft, 1/32 cars, 1/72 aircraft, 1/32 slot cars, 1/9 motorcycles, 1/12 cars, and in recent years 1/35 AFV.

Because I am a 'cross modeller', or transmodeller (?), I am able to use materials and techniques that the genre specific builders often dont know about. Also, I dont like the 'armour modeller' tag, as tomorrow I could be building something totally different...indeed at present I am working on a civilian aircraft crash tender, albeit based on a military chassis!

For 1/72 AFVs I'd recommend ML Braille: http://www.network54.com/Forum/47210

Paul Giles, the moderator there is also a member here, as are several other regulars. :coolio:

I've been trying to encourage some of the other members to post here too.....To say the BM forum engine is a little more modern than ML is an understatement of epic proportions. :winkgrin: