1/50th female railway figures as fashion earrings

Troy Smith

These came about as I made her ladyship some earrings out of bottle caps, which had cherubs as the design.

I had bought a load of 1/50th railway figures, for potential 1/48th diorama use, and realised that limited use for the ladies...

and thought of making some fashion figure earrings, as her ladyship likes to dress even more brightly than this,including coloured hair!

I made these two pairs first, done using Humbrol acrylics, thinned with water and flow improver, in a little pallette

with lip lids, which held a tiny amount of paint, but perfect for this with many coats and little touch ups, so could stir with a brush and easy to open.

There were 7 pots, so I used 7 colours, green 80, red 60, blue 25, flesh 61, light blue 65, white 24 and black 33.

I used a thin 'waster' coat of white to prime the figures, which really helps, and then use thin coats of acrylic.

DSCF0716_zpscwcye7p8.jpg

the figures in dresses I tried using a wash, based on Roy Sutherlands tip, a 50/50 mix of Kleer, water and then a drop

of Tamiya black paint, i thought this would be a bit harsh, so added some dark brown.

the wash was OK, and added some shadows that are acceptable.

I did wash the figures below, but as there were less creases, so the effect is less.

The polka dots took quite a lot of touching up...

DSCF0717_zpsbqsncvcs.jpg

I used earring pins, drilled up through the chin, though some little eyelet hooks would have been better, the shop didn't have these.

After giving these too her, and showing the basic figures, she said she liked the ones in the evening dresses, so I did these. This time I remembered lipstick!

I varied the colours on these, I used some cheap tube acrylics for the blue and some gold on these.

DSCF0718_zps8bjoviuu.jpg

and all six.

DSCF0715_zpsl0fpk8ml.jpg

The background is the bathroom window sill I recently tiled, as in a house full of real ladies, make up remover quickly wrecks the paint.

I have used some more of these, and some bigger ones off ebay, to do with my daughter, as they allow wide range of possible 'clothes' to be combined. I got some Vallejo paint sets cheap off MJW models, which have some great colours, so we have done some more recently.

With a bit of supervision and tips on getting the paint thinned and flowing, she did some really neat work for a five year old.

My actual 'serious' modelling mainly involves hacking up kits, tutting and procrastinating, so it was fun to do these as they were simple, fast and fun to do, and made a neat little gift.

Hope this amuses

cheers

T

• Like 9

Ooo Yah big softie!

They look really nice, well done that man!

Not to mention the award of a few brownie points :winkgrin:

In a similar vein I once made an ex a series of earrings made from fossils...

Christian, exiled to africa

Edited by wyverns4
  • Like 3

• 2 years later...

madest ever project ive seen 😉

about that statement that your house is full of ladies,  i think that the only thing that keeps you saine is modeling?

• 2 months later...