Egyptian A320 crash

stever219

First item on this morning's news at 07.00. The loss of an airliner and all 66 souls aboard. The usual ill-informed, and sometimes hysterical, press speculation. Bomb? Structural failure? Suicide-cum-murder? Without the wreckage and recorders who, for now, knows. Some reports suggest that the aeroplane turned 90 degrees left and began to descend steeply, before turning through 360 degrees in the opposite direction before disappearing below radar coverage. That first manoeuvre suggests some form of explosive decompression and a deliberately-initiated descent to get down to an altitude where sufficient oxygen was available.

Whatever the cause may our thoughts and prayers be with the victims, their families and friends, and those who have to deal with the aftermath and find out what went wrong.

• Like 1

Very sad news for all involved. Seems they have started finding debris if the news is to be believed.

Glad to see that the RAF is involved. A Hercules with radar, high powered binoculars and night vision according to a spokesman. So basically a bog standard Albert with people looking out the windows. Every time an incident like this occurs it makes the loss of the Kipper fleet look even more mad.

• Like 3

First item on this morning's news at 07.00. The loss of an airliner and all 66 souls aboard. The usual ill-informed, and sometimes hysterical, press speculation. Bomb? Structural failure? Suicide-cum-murder? Without the wreckage and recorders who, for now, knows. Some reports suggest that the aeroplane turned 90 degrees left and began to descend steeply, before turning through 360 degrees in the opposite direction before disappearing below radar coverage. That first manoeuvre suggests some form of explosive decompression and a deliberately-initiated descent to get down to an altitude where sufficient oxygen was available.

Whatever the cause may our thoughts and prayers be with the victims, their families and friends, and those who have to deal with the aftermath and find out what went wrong.

Very well put.

Agreed, and well put. Still too early to speculate about the causes, we are once again dependent on snippets of digital evidence, just like AF447 and MH370.

The usual ill-informed, and sometimes hysterical, press speculation.

At times like these, I feel the need to wheel out this flowchart.

Ci1hG3HUkAEccUO.jpg

Edited by Alan P
  • Like 6

Press reports indicate divers have located the flight recorder. ACARS reported smoke alarms in electronics bays for 3 minutes prior to descent.

Small comfort for the relatives, but we may soon have some answers.

Press reports indicate divers have located the flight recorder. ACARS reported smoke alarms in electronics bays for 3 minutes prior to descent.

Small comfort for the relatives, but we may soon have some answers.

Bentwaters I've heard that there were also smoke alarm warnings from one or more of the toilets at the rear of the aircraft; any confirmation from your end please? If there were warnings from different parts of the aircraft that suggests foul play, although obviously it's not proof of it. Let's hope the investigators get the break that they need soon.

I am just speaking personally here and mean no offence.

While I am as interested as everyone else in finding out what happened to this flight I would still prefer that certain details such as body parts floating in the sea were not mentioned in the press. I would also prefer it if there were no mention or speculation on how these people died, at least until we know how they died. Such details are upsetting for the victims families, disrespectful of the victims themselves and gratifying for those who would want such a thing to happen.

At this stage I would rather just be told that evidence as to the cause of the accident is continuing to be gathered.

• Like 1

While what you say makes sense, in this world of 24 hour news, and channels trying to outdo each other it is never going to happen. They will speculate, make uninformed decisions and use the most graphic footage they feel they can get away with; and all the time trying their hardest to get to the suffering families to get them on camera.

• Like 4

Indeed. Sadly, ambulance chasers and the press will try and make money from every part of our lives. Technical facts from reliable sources are of interest to us, speculation I will leave to others.

• Like 2

Old Thumper I think that all of us here share your views on media coverage of such events and would prefer it if the only information publicised was that which detailed how any investigation is progressing and the known facts. I may be guilty of speculation in my opening post concerning the initial turn to the left but I can assure you that I have taken no offence at your comments.

Regrettably, as Julien has posted, we're not going to be spared the banally intrusive press treatment of victims' families unless we choose to block out mainstream media coverage. I think all of us here are big and old enough to have a very good idea of what happens to an aircraft and its occupants when they hit an unyielding object at high speed without the "gentlemen" (and women) of the media spelling it out for us in graphic (or exaggerated) detail. I suppose our best bet would be to stick to the professional aviation media in the hope that they, at least, can be as objective and detached as possible.

Let' s also hope that the search and recovery teams and the investigators will be left to get on with their jobs unhindered and without having to disprove or debunk ill-founded and ill-informed speculation, particularly from some (I'm now thinkng of politicians as well as media) who ought to know better.

• Like 1

While what you say makes sense, in this world of 24 hour news, and channels trying to outdo each other it is never going to happen. They will speculate, make uninformed decisions and use the most graphic footage they feel they can get away with; and all the time trying their hardest to get to the suffering families to get them on camera.

Yes, but the problem is we live in a country and probably a world where people love all this type of thing, it is as though people are unable to feel empathy for what is happening and are following real life events in the same way they would follow a fictional story. It reminds me of the time I visited Auswitz and noticed people taking photos and making videos to show their friends, it is very difficult for me to put my finger on exactly what I object to and feel is wrong about this type of thing but it sort of puts me in mind of when I hear people getting pleasure by gossiping about another persons misfortune.

When people discuss such a topic as this because they feel it effects them or through worry or concern for others then I believe that is a good thing, it is just when it is done purely for pleasure I object. I am not saying or thinking that anyone on here is getting any pleasure from this and you have my word on that.

Edited by old thumper

Is this a thread for speculation? I have a theory that, although probably completely incorrect, makes some sense to me. Even with what little info we have, so many conclusions can be drawn. I try my best to believe it isn't terrorism because I just want it to be something that makes sense, not the murder of innocent civilians. Who knows, maybe I should just stop right now! Oh well, another tragedy that no doubt will become even more troubling as more information is unearthed.

All the best,

Drew

Tbh I wonder why we have threads like this on air disasters

All we can do is speculate argue and repeat what we've heard off somewhere even though we know if might be wrong

Do we need on a modelling forum to discuss how and why people meet a horrific death ?

Let's have a thread on road accidents or fires ?

No? Just the same buddy

Time for this subject to join politics and religion on the ban bin

My apologies to the Mods for the rant

• Like 2

There are a lot of aviation professionals and enthusiasts on the forum. It would seem strange to me if topical aviation issues weren't discussed in some capacity.

It's hard for people not to speculate. The problem for me is that a little knowledge is worse than ignorance in much of the speculation.

I prefer to wait for professional evaluation of key evidence (flight data, CVR, telemetry, surviving crew, video footage) before passing comment. Unless I have first hand or relevant experiential knowledge that would qualify me to comment.

Al

• Like 1

I'm not sure why there's so much squeamishness about seeing pictures or even mentioning body parts. It wasn't so long ago that even mainstream news organisations showed graphic pictures of accidents and the aftermath of war or terrorist attacks. The reality is that we see even less of reality than we ever did at least in the western media. Of course you can find it on the internet but generally the western media feel the need to shield us from reality.

As for the crash, as ever it's too soon to speculate but the fire warnings are hard to ignore. In some ways the aviation industry would prefer it was a bomb because the implications of a sudden failure that brings down an airliner with no distress call from the crew is far more scary. Shades of the Comet disasters.

• Like 1

I try my best to believe it isn't terrorism because I just want it to be something that makes sense, not the murder of innocent civilians.

All the best,

Drew

Very nicely put, that is exactly what is going on in my mind.

• 4 weeks later...

Apparently the memory unit from the cockpit voice recorder has been retrieved and is currently in transit to Alexandria. The aircraft was located at a depth of approx 10,000ft , and is several large pieces. No further info at this point.

• 2 weeks later...

The FDR is reported to have stopped recording at something like 37k feet, which is surprisingly early - complete loss of electricity?

Has Toulouse made any statements about the telemetry feed from the aircraft and what the last data was they got from that?

Duncan B

No further mention. the CVR is still under repair. FDR records smoke in the forward toilet and avionics bay; also 'high temperature damage and soot' in the forward section. Quote: 'current and former aviation officials increasingly believe the reason lies in the aircraft's technical systems'.

According to some sources, 'this was the aircraft's fifth flight* of the day, and problems had been reported on 3 flights. Engineers supposedly worked on the aircraft prior to it's last flight'.
*Jeddah-Cairo, Cairo-Tunis, Tunis-Cairo, Cairo-Paris, Paris-Cairo.