RAF Type D bomb trolley

GordonM

Wasn't sure whether to post this here or in WWII Aircraft, but this seemed the best option. I'm trying to build the Flightpath RAF Type D bomb trolley (operative word being trying!) and I'm stuck. The instructions are pretty vague and I've struggled to find a photo that shows the area I'm having trouble with. The instructions state to "form and fit part 2 into the rebates in part 1 (the chassis) fit parts 3 into part 2, adding the cast spring into the recessed areas provided in part 2"

I can see the rebates in part 1, but from there I'm stuck. My question is does part 2 form an inverted 'L' shape with the spring pointing forward and if so does the top of the L face forward or backwards? If the location of part 2 is correct where do the two part 3's fit? Has anyone built one and could post a photo, or point me in the direction of a clear photo of the front end of a trolley please?

Thanks for replying, unfortunately the Type D is very different and only has one spring mounted transversely across the front. That's the part that is very unclear on the instructions and I'm also struggling to find a photo that's clear enough to gain the layout from.

Wasn't sure whether to post this here or in WWII Aircraft, but this seemed the best option. I'm trying to build the Flightpath RAF Type D bomb trolley (operative word being trying!) and I'm stuck. The instructions are pretty vague and I've struggled to find a photo that shows the area I'm having trouble with. The instructions state to "form and fit part 2 into the rebates in part 1 (the chassis) fit parts 3 into part 2, adding the cast spring into the recessed areas provided in part 2"

I can see the rebates in part 1, but from there I'm stuck. My question is does part 2 form an inverted 'L' shape with the spring pointing forward and if so does the top of the L face forward or backwards? If the location of part 2 is correct where do the two part 3's fit? Has anyone built one and could post a photo, or point me in the direction of a clear photo of the front end of a trolley please?

The rebates for part 2 are in the leading edge of the floor section of part 1, as you say – just test fit part 2 and you will see. Part 2 fits vertically into part 1 at this point - you can also see location recesses for the side edges of part 2 etched into in inner walls of the angled vertical sections of the solebars on part 1.

The top part of part 2 is folded forwards through 90 degrees [obviously BEFORE you fit the part!] and the recesses etched into the front vertical face of part 2 are for the cast spring. Parts 3 [laminated] fit below the top ledge of part 2, above the cast spring [this is clearly stated in the assembly text which you need to read in conjunction with the assembly drawing], into the location slot provided in the upper vertical face of part 2. The second part 3 assembly is fitted below the cast leaf spring into the slot at the centre bottom of part 2. The upper parts 3 are shown on the assembly drawing hatched - i.e. under the top forwards-facing ledge of part 2.

David Parkins

Flightpath

www.djparkins.com

Edited by DJPFlightpath

Thank you for that David, it's very helpful. I'm obviously not the best at deciphering diagrams! I'm my defence it's the first time I've tried anything beyond an injection mouldered kit, I'm learning and I'm sure it won't be my last Flightpath product I'll be buying.

I should also say thank you for taking the time and trouble to reply personally, it's an amazing part of this site and the hobby that dedicated people go so out of their way to help others. I don't know any other hobby I've ever taken part in where those who own businesses take the time to talk directly to customers and assist so well.

I have also learnt that not only should I learn to read diagrams better, but when pharmaceutical companies put warnings regarding "may cause drowsiness, or affect your ability to operate machinery" it can also apply to tiny PE parts and understanding where they go!

Post edited for brain fog.....

Edited by GordonM

Thank you for that David, it's very helpful. I'm obviously not the best at deciphering diagrams! I'm my defence it's the first time I've tried anything beyond an injection mouldered kit, I'm learning and I'm sure it won't be my last Flightpath product I'll be buying

No problem Gordon - ask away if you get stuck again!

Got it finished yesterday after your help David, it's not perfect but for a first go I'm more than happy. My wife thinks I'm mad when she saw me fitting a 2mm diameter fuse to the 'cookie' but even she admits it's quite something to see a flat sheet of brass become a model!

• 1 year later...